Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I agree that people should not demean people who make minimum wage but by the same token I believe no one should demean anyone. I hear Obama and his supporters demeaning people who are successful all the time and you don't expect them to strike back?

Welcome to Obama's divisive politics.
Of course we expect an attack back. But its wrong if you think we are demeaning their success. Way to frame that one!

Old 12-06-2013, 03:50 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Of course we expect an attack back. But its wrong if you think we are demeaning their success. Way to frame that one!
You didn't build that, tax the rich, and on you go. Yep, you dished but cry when it's dished back. Enjoy the consequences of your divisive politicking.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
A living wage doesn't mean the amount for one person to support a family of 4...
What does it mean then ?
Isn't the point to have the employer pay enough so that they are not on welfare programs ?

You can't cherry pick who gets a bigger starting wage over another.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You didn't build that, tax the rich, and on you go. Yep, you dished but cry when it's dished back. Enjoy the consequences of your divisive politicking.
No one is crying. We don't have billionaire industrialists astro-turfing movements like freedom works and funding think tanks and radio hosts. This has been class warfare from that start.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahrrier View Post
It is easy to demean people who make minimum wage, but these are not deadbeats. It might not be intellectually challenging, but standing on your feet hour after hour, day after day, week after week in noise and organized chaos is not easy.
You write as if those of us who are being demonized for not caring (or whatever insults/rationalizations you want to throw at us) have never held these jobs.

We all start at the same place - the bottom.

At 15, I lied about my age to get my first job, which was at a donut shop. I worked a bunch of other minimum wage jobs until I was 17, when I moved out and got my first full time gig. In my early 20s, while managing a retail store in my hometown, I took a second job as an associate at a record store - for minimum wage - because I wanted the extra money (the employee discount was nice, too ). I didn't *need" that second job, but I saw no reason not to earn more in my spare time.

So we all know what it's like to work "on your feet hour after hour, day after day, week after week in noise and organized chaos." We were there. We worked through it while understanding what it was - a stepping stone. A minimum wage job is NOT a career.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
A living wage doesn't mean the amount for one person to support a family of 4...
Yeah, actually, that's exactly what the most vocal contingent of those on your side of this debate are demanding. According to them (and it's even been stated recently in this thread), a single minimum wage job should be able to support a family.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
"I do think at a certain point you've made enough money."

Obama: You've Made Enough Money - YouTube

Old 12-06-2013, 04:10 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Watch, this be the new carrot Obama hangs out in front of voters next election in mid-term. But hey, if prices go up for burger flippers than they go up for government people. We tax payers are so nice, gosh I hope they like us but we usually get scammed.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:12 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
Quote:
Good lord, you guys have a remarkable skill for not understanding a basic concept. If that were a marketable skill then you guys would be rolling in it.

I've already covered this ground. Wages = stagnant, purchasing power = low, productivity = high, profits going to the top = high. The main fight is within the workplace, what's being produced, what's being collected as profits and what's a fair even distribution, especially when considering the COL. You can have all the opinions you want about how fast food work is easy it doesn't change the basics of what this is all about.

Exit stage right.
I'm still trying to understand what you are proposing. Are you suggesting the govt set different minimum wages for each and every position in this country based on the profitability of their respective industry? Please tell us your solution for this problem.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Watch, this be the new carrot Obama hangs out in front of voters next election in mid-term.
His official position is that he wants to raise the federal minimum wage to $9. I don't doubt that Democrats around the country will use that to try and keep their jobs. They're going to use everything they can, because they know that their forcing of Obamacare onto the nation has put them in a very precarious political position. Their jobs are at stake, so there's no doubt that they're going to buy as many votes as they can, however they can.

Don't be a bystander in that - work the opposing campaigns. Force them to work their ass of for every single vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies