U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,160,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
This warfare that you're engaged in is simply going to destroy the cheep fast food industry, that's all. If that is your goal, have at it.
Yeah McDonald's didn't survive in other industrialized countries.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,671,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
So what? What is your point? You think only the people making bare minimum would see an increase?
That's what proponents of raising the min wage to $15 say.
No "trickle up". I can't see that happening but they can.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,060,542 times
Quote:
Yeah McDonald's didn't survive in other industrialized countries.
McDonald's is not the cheapest. What about mom and pop's burger joints? Do you think they'll survive?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
McDonald's is not the cheapest. What about mom and pop's burger joints? Do you think they'll survive?
I don't know but if you can't afford the labor you shouldn't be in business. That's my personal opinion but that's besides the point. You guys like the uphold the small businesses as this moral standard to better your arguments. Some of them got into business because labor is cheap others didn't. Either way more people will have more money to stimulate the economy. Businesses will grow not contract, even small ones.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:19 PM

705 posts, read 1,004,185 times
Between Obamacare and raising the min. wage, there will be no such thing as mom and pop stores.

Left, right, whatever side you're on, raising the minimum wage is a handout not a hand up. Money managing or lack of is where these workers go wrong. Give them $30 an hour and they'll still be poor.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Between Obamacare and raising the min. wage, there will be no such thing as mom and pop stores.

Left, right, whatever side you're on, raising the minimum wage is a handout not a hand up. Money managing or lack of is where these workers go wrong. Give them $30 an hour and they'll still be poor.
Poverty is not an attitude problem Kiovo. My lord, are you nuts? Its structural. It won't be solved with a little elbow grease. This cutesy little platitude has to just end now.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM

10,906 posts, read 6,690,468 times
Quote:
Either way more people will have more money to stimulate the economy. Businesses will grow not contract, even small ones.
No... they won't.

You are clueless about the effects of rising costs on small business.

Take a basic economics class.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:25 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,360,299 times
Quote:
I don't know but if you can't afford the labor you shouldn't be in business. That's my personal opinion but that's besides the point. You guys like the uphold the small businesses as this moral standard to better your arguments. Some of them got into business because labor is cheap others didn't. Either way more people will have more money to stimulate the economy. Businesses will grow not contract, even small ones.
Employment goes down as minimum wage increases. Krueger's studies were expanded and largely debunked.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,060,542 times
Quote:
It's just a business model. They hire young people and kids to do simple tasks and pay them accordingly.
If they don't like the compensation they can leave or demand a raise based on their personal merits (not minimum wage).

Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 PM

984 posts, read 1,052,517 times
Quote:
Do you guys make less than 15 an hour? Is that why many of you would be butt hurt if the workers had their way? I mean what is it? ?
This is pretty much it (although internet bravery won't allow them to admit it). Instead of taking their own advice and "pulling themselves up by their boot straps" and learning marketable skills for a better career/job, they'd rather ***** about others' attempts to determine their own worth. No surprise there. Don't get mad....just better yourselves. I've never been in the habit of counting other folks' money because I don't want them counting mine. If you have a comfortable career that provides for you and your family, then you really shouldn't be bothered by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies