U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,781,154 times

Advertisements

Um, no. People with a 4 year degree get a $15/hr job. Fast Food is GED/diploma max only.

$15 is ridiculous. Maybe give them $10 so with taxes they'll actually take home $7.25 or so but that's it.

I don't know the numbers but I've always suspected that Chick-fil-a pays their workers at least $10/hr. Those people are just waaaayy too happy to be working in fast food. They only get off Sundays. And in many the women giving you the food through the window have pretty nice sized rings on. It's that you know the hubs makes the money but she wants to do "something" so Chick-fil-a it is but working isn't really a necessity.

But yeah, they're just too happy.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:51 PM

28,411 posts, read 14,121,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Um, no. People with a 4 year degree get a $15/hr job. Fast Food is GED/diploma max only.

$15 is ridiculous. Maybe give them $10 so with taxes they'll actually take home $7.25 or so but that's it.

I don't know the numbers but I've always suspected that Chick-fil-a pays their workers at least $10/hr. Those people are just waaaayy too happy to be working in fast food. They only get off Sundays. And in many the women giving you the food through the window have pretty nice sized rings on. It's that you know the hubs makes the money but she wants to do "something" so Chick-fil-a it is but working isn't really a necessity.

Just texted my BIL who has 2 Chick-Fil-A's. He says his cashiers average $8.50, his kitchen people get $10 and his shift leaders $12. I asked what his general manager makes, and he wouldn't share that with me.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,008,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

So many presumptions.
A) There's nothing that distinguishes different jobs other than pay, and
B) A rise in the sea level wouldn't lift all boats, per se

Chick Fil A, Moo Cluck Moo and even In and Out (don't know for sure) are good examples of some places where the quality of the food and the productivity is up when wages are a little higher.

I am surprised that you guys can easily say that workers wages shouldn't be this or that high, but blow a gasket when someone has the nerve to say that perhaps profits should be more evenly spread? Apparently, when an owner or a major company does something it's always within the logic of the market, he is maximizing his rational capabilities, but when workers demand more pay, it's a bunch of know nothing heathens who just don't understand the market.

The former is maximizing liberty the latter is wanting a stalinist hellhole with a planned economy that will turn us all into slaves....

Old 12-05-2013, 05:37 PM

495 posts, read 670,939 times
What is the heck is a "livable wage"?

Who determines that, and what criteria is used to measure?

As to whether goods and services prices would go up, I think they would, but not that much. What I do think would happen to offset that though would be exactly what we saw happen as the ACA was rolled out. People were fired, laid-off, and reduced in hours and benefits to make up for the cost increases.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,177,518 times
Default We are not a communist state...

At least not yet. Demanding $15 an hour for the entry level jobs is just assinine. What if everybody mandated their wages, how would that work out? No one is ever satisfied with what they have, not even Liberals.

So let's say they get their $15/hour wage because the company was forced to do it. I am not going to pay double the price for a hamburger, nor will others. The company is forced into bankruptcy, and the people are now jobless. Of course they will immediately sign up for Obamacare, Obamastamps, get an Obamaphone, and demand 10 years of unemployment payments, maybe find a reason to fulfill Disability Assistance requirements. Maybe, I'm just guessing here.

But even if the company does not fold, the temporary raise will last for a very short while as all service companies are forced to raise their prices to cover the new higher wages. They will be back where they are at now. Twenty dollars will become the new five dollars. What will they do? Demand $40/hour of course.

What they want is communism, no matter what you do, no matter your skills, education, experience or service level, everyone gets paid the same. The truth is, they don't have to demand that, or wait, they can move themselves to the communist countries now and enjoy the 'good life'.

BTW, I usually see adults working in the fast food places I visit during my lunch breaks, but political correctness aside, most are not the brightest bulbs on the tree, most cannot conjugate a sentence, and many who do speak cannot speak the English language correctly. I went to a Taco Bell once and the cashier needed assistance from the manager... he had to show her how to add nickels because I gave her more money in coins than was needed so I would get back only bills. This is why they are paid what they are paid.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM

4,516 posts, read 11,309,583 times
A livable wage is what people need to cover their basic cost of housing food and transportation. What you get when companies don't pay a livable wage is the government has to subsidies the workers with food stamps, section 8 housing, etc. So when people fight against a livable wage what they are saying is that they as the tax payer prefer to cover part of these peoples living expenses rather than the company who employs them. That being said $15/hour is an overreach and $10-$12 would be sufficient. Also who are all the sad sacks in the thread making $15/hour with a college degree and hating on the burger flippers.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Also who are all the sad sacks in the thread making $15/hour with a college degree and hating on the burger flippers.
Golden, LOL. I love it. Good zing. You beat me to the punch.

I think the demand for 15 dollars an hour is a strategy by the workers to later compromise on something more reasonable like 11-12.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,920,116 times
so the raise will just add to the number of 30k-millionaires. big deal. that was never an issue.
cigarette prices are thru the roof and that didnt kill businesses. cars prices are not $8k like I remember seeing in the Price is right(r), looks like that isnt an issue. There also no difference to the biz if I buy 1 or 3 burgers. where the hell are people pulling their 'facts'?

Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Some perspective:

On the issue of prices going up: I hate hearing this argument, really. From a totally utilitarian perspective (maximizing utility to the greatest number of people), the worker gains more than you lose, when you pay a few more cents per burger.

If the gain/loss was proportional between the customer and the worker, it might make sense, but even then, the customers are not all working minimum wage jobs and can afford to pay more. It's like Fair Trade coffee, basically.

On people wanting to be burger flippers or lifeguards rather than engineers if there is a livable wage installed:
It costs more to produce an engineer than a lifeguard, thus the labor price of an engineer will, on average, be higher. Also, not everybody wants to be an engineer. Some guys think women are more attracted to beach types than nerds.

And finally on what determines a living wage?
The wage is only the minimum wage needed to live. It doesnt mean everybody will receive that wage. It should also be based on geographical location.

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator Here is a calculator from MIT, and I even I think their numbers are way too low and conservative imo.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:41 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,445,717 times
And hope for our country continues to dwindle... It is no longer the era of earning what you have, replaced with that of entitlement. Ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies