Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
When labor demands a raise considering the rise in corporate profits it's class warfare, it's stupid, it's unrealistic and everything else according to the other side.

There have already been a number of studies by economists who debunk the whole logic of rising prices in the event of a significant wage hike.

I am surprised no one has considered that possibly there could be a reduction in the salaries of the top brass to give more to the "dead beats" at the bottom? But oh no, that would go against liberty?

I really think the people who believe that raising the minimum wage is tantamount to a super hike in prices effectively destroying an industry are convinced that their logic is wrapped around some economic sense. It's not.It's a political issue. It's a fight for the gains of the profits. One side believes it's reserved for the top brass and not to the lowly "dead beat" "burger flippers", while the other side believes that they're not getting the full gains of their labor.

Also this could set off a nationwide demand for higher pay in all industries like the Treaty of Detroit during the 50s.
Some of us remember the wage price spiral of the Carter years. If you don't remember, don' t imagine that ignorance gives you some special insight.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
A spectre is hauning Eric.....

and Keynesian economics is not akin to Bolshevism? Just how far as hell to the right are you?
Anyone to the left of Milton Friedman is a filthy seditious communist that should be deported to Venezuela.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Because they spend all day in the circle jerk of right wing media which tells them how much smarter and harder working they are then those stupid, lazy entitled liberals.
I love how this is taking a turn towards right wing vs left wing. It is not that at all. It is about the idiocy surrounding paying someone more money than the job duties call for.

This is not about the tea party, Marxism, corrupt CEOs who make fat checks or anything else. It about a bunch of lazy people wanting more money to provide a service that does not warrant more money.

I don't understand why people cannot get this.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Some of us remember the wage price spiral of the Carter years. If you don't remember, don' t imagine that ignorance gives you some special insight.
You mean the stagflation period? I've studied that. The response to it was a neo-liberal assault on unions and the beginning of the shifting of the conservative approach to economics.

I remember reading conservative pundit Dave Frum saying something to the effect that, "the reaction by business and policymakers in the late 70s and culminating in the last two decades was to stop the spread of social democracy in the US". Meaning the actions by both business and policymakers to get control of the stagflation was to utterly dismantle the Keynesian project.

These people know what they're doing when they promote Friedman as the pinnacle of economic thought. They would rather sink the economy, have people rely on subsistence wages, and crush unions than to dare have a more equitable redistribution of the gains. There is nothing natural about what happened in the last two decades. The issue has always been and will always be political.

So it's not ignorance on my part but on yours to assume that your ripe old age suddenly brought you more wisdom.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Really amazing how many people seem perfectly content with how wages have stagnated the last two decades.
Study after study proves how little growth there has been at every level excepting the very top and yet they still somehow believe that it is better to maintain the status quo, keep wages low and supplement those same wages out of their own pockets via SNAP, etc. rather than maybe pay another $.25 for a burger.
Totally illogical.
Back when the Clintons pushed through NAFTA, they even told us we needed to start competing with third world labor. And then they opened the border and allowed cheap foreign labor to start pouring on in.

What would anyone have expected? Liberals are hypocrits, they know full well their globalist agenda and open borders policies are all only for the purpose of having ultra cheap labor.

Liberals are not like the liberals of the past. Remember when Walter Mondale marched with Cesar Chavez's group to demand the border be enforced? Remember when the UFW worked to shut down the Bracero program? Now liberals want unlimited cheap labor. The cheaper and less educated the better.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
I love how this is taking a turn towards right wing vs left wing. It is not that at all. It is about the idiocy surrounding paying someone more money than the job duties call for.

This is not about the tea party, Marxism, corrupt CEOs who make fat checks or anything else. It about a bunch of lazy people wanting more money to provide a service that does not warrant more money.

I don't understand why people cannot get this.
Are you serious? You say it's not a left vs right wing thing, and then proceed to give such a typical right wing argument as lazy people wanting more money for a service that doesn't require more money?

I think you guys are really under the delusion that you're ideals and arguments are grounded in some objectivity that is outside the bounds of politics. That's laughable.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
These one day walkouts are being organized and funded by the SIEU.
I hope someone reminded those Houston workers that Texas is a right to work state and unions have no teeth here.

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
If you are alive you are being paid a living wage.

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
This is so pathetic. These idiots who wrap your tacos and put together your burgers want $15/hr and to be able to unionize. Get some marketable skills if you want to make more money. What a joke!!!

I don't have to stuff my face with fast food (admittedly it is good now and then, though). This argument falls on deaf ears as I don't feel sorry for someone that works in fast food.

Local fast food workers strike over wages | News - Home

Nationwide average of these workers is $8.89, not minimum wage.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:20 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
So in this pathetic day and age, a worker that wakes up to get to work on time in an attempt to feed clothe and provide for themsleves and maybe their familes, is not entitled to respect or to earn enough to have more to spend, which by the way, goes right back into the economy. Maybe that worker is striving to save money to go back to school or to start their own small business. To give them a fighting chance is how you grow and maintain a healthy functioning middle class. Even a not particularly bright person would realize this.

It's clear that your career OP is certainly not rocket science or for that matter, anything even remotely close. Who belittles a working person that way? A sociopath maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies