Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 01:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Liberals want unlimited cheap labor?"

I take it then that you support these fast food workers' fight for a living wage?
Not as long as Obama is planning on adding 11 to 30 million cheap labor illegals to the legal labor force.

I support these jobs going back to being jobs of American teenagers. I also support people choosing to not conceive children when they can't support their children.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Wow, you honestly think that it's OK for a person working full time to make less than he needs to survive?

If you stop and think about it, that is really an amazing belief. You're basically saying that you're OK with businesses to pay workers so little that government has to step in and help them survive.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we also had a budget problem? I thought the RWNJs wanted to balance the budget on the backs of the poor; but we'd need to increase our welfare budget to subsidize the working poor because Sam Walton and family need to keep their stock price up

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It was theirs to determine at the time they accepted the job. Just like the rest of us, when we accept a job is when we agreed to work for a particular salary.

If there wasn't a huge oversupply of cheap labor, then wages would rise to their natural level. It is the liberals working for unlimited immigation after all. Unlimited immigration of nothing but the cheapest labor -- to compete with Americans at the bottom.
So you accept the idea that cheap labor int he US needs a higher minimum wage to price out the incentives for illegals to come here? Because, right now, illegals work in jobs that no Americans want to do, even for $10 an hour. So, either let the crops rot, or bring in the masses from south of the border. Take your pick. You have 2 choices: either the company CEO gets to keep his cadillac stock options and golden parachute, or we get to keep our national culture and language intact. Make a choice

Old 12-06-2013, 01:43 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is what happens when you take what were part time jobs for teenagers .Actaully the real problem is there are too many at the lowest skill levels. to create value at better pay. A illegal who doesn't even speak English often has more skills at physical labor jobs.
No, the problem is that too many skilled and long-time workers have had no choice but to settle for these jobs just to have A job.

I'm not going to bother posting the same links to the studies that prove this as it is patently clear that they are routinely ignored in favor of the usual demonization.

Just remember, karma is a female dog.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not as long as Obama is planning on adding 11 to 30 million cheap labor illegals to the legal labor force.

I support these jobs going back to being jobs of American teenagers. I also support people choosing to not conceive children when they can't support their children.
Still refusing to see the point.
Whatever.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
No, the problem is that too many skilled and long-time workers have had no choice but to settle for these jobs just to have A job.

I'm not going to bother posting the same links to the studies that prove this as it is patently clear that they are routinely ignored in favor of the usual demonization.

Just remember, karma is a female dog.
So you want to bump their wages into career level wages and still keep entry level workers (teens) locked out.

That won't fare well in the long term.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So you accept the idea that cheap labor int he US needs a higher minimum wage to price out the incentives for illegals to come here? Because, right now, illegals work in jobs that no Americans want to do, even for $10 an hour. So, either let the crops rot, or bring in the masses from south of the border. Take your pick. You have 2 choices: either the company CEO gets to keep his cadillac stock options and golden parachute, or we get to keep our national culture and language intact. Make a choice
Of course I don't accept that. Wages are a product of supply and demand. When the supply of labor is limited, wages will rise. Your side wants unlimited illegal immigration because that drastically disrupts the supply and demand by making cheap labor unlimited. Wages are pushed down or at least stagnate.

There is no other real reason for your craving of unlimited third world immigration other than the cheap votes included.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Still refusing to see the point.
Whatever.
Your side wants the unlimited third world immigration. Immigrants who will grab up any job here and who have less than a 3rd grade education. What did you think would happen? That wages would be driven up?

By making the labor supply essentially unlimited, you drove wages down. No one with half a brain would think otherwise. Flood the country with cheap workers to have higher wages???? That makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you want to bump their wages into career level wages and still keep entry level workers (teens) locked out.

That won't fare well in the long term.
Another one refusing to recognize the larger point.

Keep pulling that ladder up after you folks.

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Another one refusing to recognize the larger point.

Keep pulling that ladder up after you folks.
But isn't that what you are supporting ?
If not, please explain what you are supporting.

Who is going to hire a 16 year old who has never worked and pay them $15/hour ?

Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
What the heck do illegals have anything to do with this argument? The argument boils down to a simple concept; how much is being made in production? Look at the profits. For the big companies they are high as heck, yet the wages are low. The ratio of the highest paid to the lowest paid is outrageous and the taxpayers is left picking up the tab for the social services many have to go into to cover the cost of their falling purchasing power, that or debt finance which is also out of control.

It's a simple under-consumptionist argument. Why are you guys coming up with these outrageous arguments about how you think that burger flipping is too low of a job to demand higher pay or what not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies