Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 02:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Your side wants the unlimited third world immigration. Immigrants who will grab up any job here and who have less than a 3rd grade education. What did you think would happen? That wages would be driven up?

By making the labor supply essentially unlimited, you drove wages down. No one with half a brain would think otherwise. Flood the country with cheap workers to have higher wages???? That makes no sense at all.
Wrong.
No one wants unlimited immigration.

Only people who cannot defend their own positions regarding corporate protectionism default to this argument despite the utter illogic of stating that an unskilled worker would actually take a job from a white collar worker.
Do you ever think how stupid that sounds?

Outsourcing and corporate raiding has done more to lower and stagnate wages than any immigration.
But that's not the story your corporate idols are selling, is it?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I did work in fast food in high school. It is very easy. Is it deserving of minimum wage? Yes. More than that? Nope.

It is not meant to be a career that you can raise a family on. If you want to, go to school for hotel and restaurant management like my old manager did. He made decent money but had more responsibility and was compensated accordingly.

There was not line worker or kitchen worked that was a career fast food worker when I was there other than managers. That's just how it is. It's students and retirees.

How are they supposed to learn a more marketable skill? Go to school. Learn something. Take out loans like the rest of us did. Every profitable business requires an initial investment. No better investment than one's self.
Good lord, you guys have a remarkable skill for not understanding a basic concept. If that were a marketable skill then you guys would be rolling in it.

I've already covered this ground. Wages = stagnant, purchasing power = low, productivity = high, profits going to the top = high. The main fight is within the workplace, what's being produced, what's being collected as profits and what's a fair even distribution, especially when considering the COL. You can have all the opinions you want about how fast food work is easy it doesn't change the basics of what this is all about.

Exit stage right.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The local protest here in Las Vegas was (or was supposed to be) at the McDonald's on Sahara and Paradise. Since it's only about a mile or two from the office, we went after work to get dinner and show our solidarity with the restauranteur.

Nobody was there. Not a single picket sign. Not a single protestor.

I guess it was too cold (around 40-45) for them to take advantage of rush hour at a very busy intersection to get their message out.

This whole movement is a joke. We're talking about 3% or less of working adults, per BLS numbers. Give it up, guys. You're not going to get your wish, nor should you.
It's people like you that are in support of not giving a working poor person a fighting chance to improve their lives . Good goin'. Makes so much sense to not allow portions of the population a chance to further educate themselves to increase chances of obtaining a better paying job or start their own business. Typical right wing corporate worship with no regard for the average folks.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The local protest here in Las Vegas was (or was supposed to be) at the McDonald's on Sahara and Paradise. Since it's only about a mile or two from the office, we went after work to get dinner and show our solidarity with the restauranteur.

Nobody was there. Not a single picket sign. Not a single protestor.

I guess it was too cold (around 40-45) for them to take advantage of rush hour at a very busy intersection to get their message out.

This whole movement is a joke. We're talking about 3% or less of working adults, per BLS numbers. Give it up, guys. You're not going to get your wish, nor should you.
You went to a McDonald''s to show support for the restauaranter? If he'd have known that was going to happen, he might have hiked up his prices.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Good lord, you guys have a remarkable skill for not understanding a basic concept. If that were a marketable skill then you guys would be rolling in it.

I've already covered this ground. Wages = stagnant, purchasing power = low, productivity = high, profits going to the top = high. The main fight is within the workplace, what's being produced, what's being collected as profits and what's a fair even distribution, especially when considering the COL.
Who are you to say what's fair and even distribution for the owner of the company? That owner had to initially invest to open. Now that they've done their work, you want to tell them they have to share their profits?

Seriously?? This is how the liberal mind thinks?

Fast food line working is not meant to cover a cost of living. Extra cash? Sure. Support someone? No way.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:12 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,566 times
Workers of the world unite! Bash in those bourgeoisie skulls! Burn down their storefronts! Down with the capitalist pigs!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Who are you to say what's fair and even distribution for the owner of the company? That owner had to initially invest to open. Now that they've done their work, you want to tell them they have to share their profits?

Fast food line working is not meant to cover a cost of living. Extra cash? Sure. Support someone? No way.
The owners hard struggle in opening up the business doesn't give him full license to just remain giving his workers subsistence wages while the COL is rising. Especially when that poor little owner is a major conglomerate that franchises. It has ramifications on society.

Is everything the owners do, even if they're major companies just a rational self interest?

Is this how conservative minds think?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:19 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:

We should bring back slavery and then no corporation would have to pay a penny in salaries. Sound good to you? I've been subsidizing their workers with Medicaid and Food Stamps with my tax dollars. I guess that you don't pay taxes, which is why it does not affect you.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:26 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
We should bring back slavery and then no corporation would have to pay a penny in salaries. Sound good to you? I've been subsidizing their workers with Medicaid and Food Stamps with my tax dollars. I guess that you don't pay taxes, which is why it does not affect you.
Oh yes I do. I more than pay my share and give to charity as well.

Look, every job has a salary associated with it, sometimes as in fast food workers, within an industry it will fluctuate.

A restaurant chef makes more than a fast food cook, a private auto mechanic makes more than the oil change workers. An accountant makes more than a bookkeeper.

It all depends on how much work and time the worker puts in to qualify their own self for better paying positions.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:26 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
I did work in fast food in high school. It is very easy. Is it deserving of minimum wage? Yes. More than that? Nope.

It is not meant to be a career that you can raise a family on. If you want to, go to school for hotel and restaurant management like my old manager did. He made decent money but had more responsibility and was compensated accordingly.

There was not line worker or kitchen worked that was a career fast food worker when I was there other than managers. That's just how it is. It's students and retirees.

How are they supposed to learn a more marketable skill? Go to school. Learn something. Take out loans like the rest of us did. Every profitable business requires an initial investment. No better investment than one's self.
The reality of the economy right now is that there is not a better job available for everybody. The largest growing segment is these service industry jobs.

Half of fast food workers get government assistance http://www.voanews.com/content/taxpa...y/1771730.html

And guess what-- Taxpayers subsidize these low paying jobs because they don't pay a person enough to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies