Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 02:52 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

It is generally understood, statistically, that minimum wage increases lower employment.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:00 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Yes and the minimum wage should also be the minimum needed to survive.
How much is that where you live?

How much is that in New York City?

How much is that in Plantersville, Mississippi?

There should be no federal minimum wage. The nation is far too economically diverse for there to be a federal minimum - especially based on your criteria. States? Sure. They can do whatever they like, per the 10th Amendment, but the feds have no business dictating how much someone needs to survive.

Speaking of "the minimum needed to survive," there are a bunch of people just a few blocks away from me that don't make anything at all, don't have anywhere to live, or bathe, or eat, and they seem to be "surviving" just fine. What's "surviving" to you? Having a smartphone with a data plan? Cable TV? Exactly what constitutes "survival" in your opinion?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
When labor demands a raise considering the rise in corporate profits it's class warfare, it's stupid, it's unrealistic and everything else according to the other side.

There have already been a number of studies by economists who debunk the whole logic of rising prices in the event of a significant wage hike.

I am surprised no one has considered that possibly there could be a reduction in the salaries of the top brass to give more to the "dead beats" at the bottom? But oh no, that would go against liberty?

I really think the people who believe that raising the minimum wage is tantamount to a super hike in prices effectively destroying an industry are convinced that their logic is wrapped around some economic sense. It's not.It's a political issue. It's a fight for the gains of the profits. One side believes it's reserved for the top brass and not to the lowly "dead beat" "burger flippers", while the other side believes that they're not getting the full gains of their labor.

Also this could set off a nationwide demand for higher pay in all industries like the Treaty of Detroit during the 50s.
Let's do a little math to try to prove your point, shall we?

-The CEO of X company has 50,000 employees.

-CEO Salary: $15M
-CEO Salary Reduction To Give Others A Raise: $10M
-CEO Adjusted Salary: $5M

-That's $10M to spread around to 50,000 employees

-$10,000,000/50,000 = $200

$200/52 weeks = $3.84 per week

-$3.84/30 Part Time hours = $0.13 cents per hour increase.

Can you see why liberal emotionalism and sound logical reasoning just can't co-exist in the same reality????

Old 12-06-2013, 03:04 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,202 times
Survival means that they have the same standard of living as engineers, doctors, CEOs of fortune 100 companies, etc.

I want me my 65" plasma and jaguar and I want it while I flip these here burgers.

I chipped in and did my part to create your obscene profits you gluttonous capitalist pig. Now pay me my hush money or else I will start a pissant bolshevik revolution and bash in your bourgeoisie skull.

Das Kapital says I gets to get my "fair share" since I pushed that broom and mopped those toilets. Fork it over or I'll collapse the entire market based economic system and reduce us all to feudal serfs in a soviet style command economy wasteland in this MF.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Yes and the minimum wage should also be the minimum needed to survive.
And welfare handouts should amount to a whole lot less than minimum wage. Howevever minimum wage jobs are for kids still living with their parents, they're not supposed to be for adults.

The minimum to survive should be a 500 sq foot or less apartment, beans and rice, and used clothes from Goodwill.

The minimum to survive should not include Obamaphones, dining out, beer money, cigarette money, lottery ticket money or pot money. It should be the very basics and nothing more. You steal a job from a 15 year old and you shouldn't expect a lavish lifestyle.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Let's do a little math to try to prove your point, shall we?

-The CEO of X company has 50,000 employees.

-CEO Salary: $15M
-CEO Salary Reduction To Give Others A Raise: $10M
-CEO Adjusted Salary: $5M

-That's $10M to spread around to 50,000 employees

-$10,000,000/50,000 = $200

$200/52 weeks = $3.84 per week

-$3.84/30 Part Time hours = $0.12 cents per hour increase.

Can you see why liberal emotionalism and sound logical reasoning just can't co-exist in the same reality????
Next they will be telling us that the shareholders need to fork over the profits. Little old ladies getting dividend checks from GE and Walmart need to fork over their obscene profits. Those evil profiteering gluttons.

These bolshevik pukes don't get it and never will.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Survival means that they have the same standard of living as engineers, doctors, CEOs of fortune 100 companies, etc.

I want me my 65" plasma and jaguar and I want it while I flip these here burgers.

I chipped in and did my part to create your obscene profits you gluttonous capitalist pig. Now pay me my hush money or else I will start a pissant bolshevik revolution and bash in your bourgeoisie skull.

Das Kapital says I gets to get my "fair share" since I pushed that broom and mopped those toilets. Fork it over or I'll collapse the entire market based economic system and reduce us all to feudal serfs in a soviet style command economy wasteland in this MF.
How about the basic human rights-- Food, shelter, clothing?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
OR --- what you could do is not start having children until you can find a job paying over minimum wage. Leave the minimum wage jobs to the 15 and 16 year olds whose parents till provide them food, shelter, and clothing.

Didn't the unions get higher wages for factory workers? Let adults work in factories.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Those are not human rights.

How about they work for those things? And if they find themselves lacking, how about they go learn a marketable skill and get a better paying job?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Nothing in my post suggested or even hinted at that. You're inferring what you want me to have said, not what I actually did say.

Again, I neither said nor implied that. Where do you get this stuff? Wait - don't answer. I don't want to be disgusted, since I know exactly where you're pulling it from...

Education is free, for those willing to work for it. One can spend every moment of their free time at a library, soaking it up. What's the line from Good Will Hunting? Something about a Harvard education being available at the public library for a few dollars in late fees? It may have come from a movie, but it's 100% true.

I was flat broke when I started my current business. Over 3-4 months, I scraped together about $1,000 to start it, mostly by driving to a neighboring state to work for a friend on weekends. That money was spent primarily on business licenses, furniture and desk phones. I built a PBX from an old, unused PC (Pentium 233MHz w/256mb of RAM) and free software. Built a website using free software on a server located in a friend's garage.

So when you spout off about people not being able to start their own business because they only make minimum wage, I have to laugh. I went from zero steady income and eating boiled pinto beans for dinner to making a six figure income and having a side of beef in the freezer in only five years. Can everybody do that? Probably not. But I did, and I don't have the benefit of a college degree or even a high school diploma.

It's about attitude and drive. If you have the "poor me, I only make X" attitude, then you're probably going to stay right there for the rest of your life. You MUST have an attitude for success and the drive to realize your dreams if you ever plan on being successful. It doesn't just happen, and you can't legislate it. It has to come from within.

I AM "average folks."
Amen brother. Same here. I sometimes struggle to not look down my nose at others because I know that some people just weren't built for success. You made it work. So did I. Through blood, sweat, and tears. Because of that, it makes it very difficult for me to not quite understand why some people are not wired the same way you and I are. If I can do it, so can they, right? Apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies