Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 07:56 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
If that's so, I think they're barking up the wrong tree. Either they don't understand who sets the minimum wage, you don't understand who sets the minimum wage, or I don't understand who sets the minimum wage.
Everybody understands who sets the minimum wage. This is just an attempt to unionize fast food workers.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Workers have the right to leave their current job and find a new one. That's it. It is called the free interaction between consenting adults. Employment at will.

"Stay out of my kitchen!"

You are the one indirectly comparing yourself and your "movement" to bolshevism with your veiled threats of "mobilizing" and "battle" over the worker's "right to the spread". Straight out of the bolshevik handbook.

You are against the economic freedom movement and the right of consenting adults to employ and be employed how they choose and at what wage they choose, so don't try to wrap your neo-Marxist, New Left prattle in some moralistic platitude about how poor and downtrodden the proles are because the mean, evil, gluttonous profiteering bourgeoisie won't "just share the spread".
What should have the labor movement done back in the early half of the 20th century? I think you're mistaking what you think they shouldn't do with what they can't do

Old 12-06-2013, 08:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It was theirs to determine at the time they accepted the job. Just like the rest of us, when we accept a job is when we agreed to work for a particular salary.

If there wasn't a huge oversupply of cheap labor, then wages would rise to their natural level. It is the liberals working for unlimited immigation after all. Unlimited immigration of nothing but the cheapest labor -- to compete with Americans at the bottom.
Mal...you conservatives just won't be consistent no matter what.

You say that we don't need unions because people should negotiate their own deals, but now here these people are making LEGSL demands as is their right, and you're saying that they can't do that either.

In America, you have the RIGHT to ask for MORE anytime you feel like it. Whether or not you get it is another issue.

Who am I to say what a burger flipper has a right to ask for?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Ok now you're bonkers. Yes Mao and Che and the communists were murderous.
What did your favorite economist Joan Robinson think of Maoist China?

Quote:
I'm not a commie.
Could have fooled me.

Quote:
What's wrong with you?
Listening to you advocate neo-Marxist bolshevik worker's revolution over wages.

Quote:
I'm a labor supporter and use words like battle to mean a labor political one.
Labor supporter is a euphemism for commie.

Quote:
How daft are you?
I am a RWNJ. I am nuttier than squirrel crap, simply because I advocate free market principles evidently.

Quote:
I'm a proponent of social democracy like what nearly all other developed nations are. How is that Bolshevist?
What does that even mean? Social democracy? Sounds like Orwellian doublespeak.

Quote:
I think perhaps you're tin foil hat is on too tight.
I just had it resized.

Did you guys hear that?

(chemtrails? lizard people? bushcheneyrumsfeldhalliburton?)

Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
In America, you have the RIGHT to ask for MORE anytime you feel like it. Whether or not you get it is another issue.
I couldn't agree more. Ask.
I'll be back to see your reply right after I get another Twinkie.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Hmmm...McDonald's can pay these wages everywhere else it seems and still make a fortune. Go figure. But as usual, we should look down on our fellow Americans for wanting what Australians have.

Where McDonald's wages start near $15 an hour- MSN Money

Old 12-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Social Democracy is the economic model of nations like Sweden and Denmark. Isn't that more tangible than what you're advocating; anarcho-capitalism? Like Murray Rothbard? Didn't he praise Che Guevara?

And I admitted Joan Robinson was wrong as was Hayek when praising the wonderful things happening in pinochets chile.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...McDonald's can pay these wages everywhere else it seems and still make a fortune. Go figure.

Yeah I posted that like ten pages ago and these guys still think its unrealistic.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Hmmm...McDonald's can pay these wages everywhere else it seems and still make a fortune. Go figure.

It boggles the mind how Norway's businesses can afford to pay their workers so much, have regulatory burden, punitive taxes, a full-fledged welfare state, basically everything the average American RWNJ hates. Yet, maintain an unemployment rate of 3% (and no, it's not only about oil. That mostly affects Bergen and Stavanger, not the rest of the country that doesn't have oil exploration). You can pretty much pick a country in Europe that flies in the face of RW conventional "wisdom"

Old 12-06-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It boggles the mind how Norway's businesses can afford to pay their workers so much, have regulatory burden, punitive taxes, a full-fledged welfare state, basically everything the average American RWNJ hates. Yet, maintain an unemployment rate of 3% (and no, it's not only about oil. That mostly affects Bergen and Stavanger, not the rest of the country that doesn't have oil exploration). You can pretty much pick a country in Europe that flies in the face of RW conventional "wisdom"
They will usually chalk it up to a homogenous population or some BS about having no illegals. It's really ridiculous when its all about how a nation allocates its resources not how many ppl love there or how homogenous the pop. is.

But yes you're right. Spot on! Nuff said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies