U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM

688 posts, read 832,947 times

Advertisements

This is so pathetic. These idiots who wrap your tacos and put together your burgers want $15/hr and to be able to unionize. Get some marketable skills if you want to make more money. What a joke!!!

I don't have to stuff my face with fast food (admittedly it is good now and then, though). This argument falls on deaf ears as I don't feel sorry for someone that works in fast food.

Local fast food workers strike over wages | News - Home

Quote:
HOUSTON - Fast food restaurant workers in 100 cities across the country are walking off the job Thursday hoping to draw attention to their efforts to raise the wages in the industry.
Houston was home to two protests Thursday morning. Workers in the city chanted "yes we can!" in protest of the minimum wage; but this outcry isn't only in Texas.
“The wages they are currently making they can't survive,” said Rev. James Caldwell who supports the effort.
Currently, the minimum wage in Texas is $7.25, which equates to a little more than $15,000 annually.
Workers are asking for $15 an hour to make ends meet.
Back in August, workers also took to the streets calling for a raise in their wages.
“I know how hard they work, and how hard they struggle,” said supporter Dee Trevino. “I see it in my own community, and we should be here to support all workers.”
Local 2 received a statement from the spokesperson at McDonald’s which stated in part, “McDonald’s and our owner/operators are committed to providing our employees with opportunities to succeed. We offer employees advancement opportunities, competitive pay and benefits... We also respect the right to voice an opinion."
And using their voice is exactly what protestors and supporters say they plan to do.
These protest and rallies started about a year ago. All of the protests here have remained peaceful.
The restaurant industry says higher wages would push businesses to close, the customer to pay more, and fewer jobs.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM

2,365 posts, read 3,766,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
This is so pathetic. These idiots who wrap your tacos and put together your burgers want $15/hr and to be able to unionize. Get some marketable skills if you want to make more money. What a joke!!!

I don't have to stuff my face with fast food (admittedly it is good now and then, though). This argument falls on deaf ears as I don't feel sorry for someone that works in fast food.

Local fast food workers strike over wages | News - Home
Minimum wage should be in the area of 21 dollars an hour with adjusted inflation. It really is not that stupid. Kind of find your statement pathetic. Maybe you should have some clue what you are talking about.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM

126 posts, read 193,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Minimum wage should be in the area of 21 dollars an hour with adjusted inflation. It really is not that stupid. Kind of find your statement pathetic. Maybe you should have some clue what you are talking about.
So should you. The same protesters would gripe when the cost of a burger triples.

You do realize that most fast food places are franchised stores owned by small business persons?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,035,119 times
If minimum wage is pushed up to $15/hour, everything else will get pushed up as well. Doing entry level fast food work has never been a 'career path'. It is a job but the hopes are you can move up to manage or own a store.

The more you get paid is usually proportionate to the number of people that can and will do your job. Lots of folks want doctor money but few can do it. Same with building bridges, etc.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 PM

688 posts, read 832,947 times
Quote:
Not sure if trolling, but I'll bite. $15/hr is about $30000/yr (give or take). No one in their right mind can tell me that a freakin' burger flipper in a chain restaurant should be making that much money to do something as simple as put food together.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,235,343 times
Quote:

Honestly you need to get a clue. These owners do not make a ton of money and work hard for what they get. You pay these kids or dead beats 15 an hour and your meat will be even more of poorer quality if that's even possible. Don't fool yourself and think corners will not be cut to save money since your paying meal prepares 15 an hour. I don't eat fast food so this whole industry could fail and I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Minimum wage at 21/hr, LOL!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM

705 posts, read 991,006 times
If I were a small business owner I would pay more than minimum wage to my employees, to better my chance of getting stellar employees that want to work at my establishments. With that being said, the businesses should be able to determine how much to pay their employees, not be mandated by the government, a union, or the employees themselves.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,017,659 times
When labor demands a raise considering the rise in corporate profits it's class warfare, it's stupid, it's unrealistic and everything else according to the other side.

There have already been a number of studies by economists who debunk the whole logic of rising prices in the event of a significant wage hike.

I am surprised no one has considered that possibly there could be a reduction in the salaries of the top brass to give more to the "dead beats" at the bottom? But oh no, that would go against liberty?

I really think the people who believe that raising the minimum wage is tantamount to a super hike in prices effectively destroying an industry are convinced that their logic is wrapped around some economic sense. It's not.It's a political issue. It's a fight for the gains of the profits. One side believes it's reserved for the top brass and not to the lowly "dead beat" "burger flippers", while the other side believes that they're not getting the full gains of their labor.

Also this could set off a nationwide demand for higher pay in all industries like the Treaty of Detroit during the 50s.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 PM

28,411 posts, read 14,139,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
If I were a small business owner I would pay more than minimum wage to my employees, to better my chance of getting stellar employees that want to work at my establishments.
Which many do.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,017,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Which many do.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...006/130919957/

Yes, like this one. Moo Cluck Moo in Detroit. Workers get 15 an hour to start. So far, the sky hasn't fallen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies