Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The link provided states that "The Government turned down the offer" not the Obama white house turned down the offer. get your facts straight from your own biased BS links.
I guess you missed this: "an internet giant offered to build the Obamacare website for free....This was confirmed during testimony today before a Congressional committee. Issa, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman, said the Obama White House turned down the offer." » CONFIRMED: Obama WH Turned Down Offer to Build O-Care Website for Free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The government didn't want to admit it needed any help from the private sector.

"Hierarchies do not act. Hierarchies are relations, unlike a person or a machine or anything else that can act. For example, statists routinely argue that without government we can’t do anything, that governments are needed to build roads, stop criminals, and so on. This is patently false: all societies, whether statist or not, have done these things. But most importantly, it is individuals who do these things, not hierarchies. You don’t need a government to build a road, you need engineers and road builders, and raw materials. A “government” is just a set of relations between some people who want to rule (and their constant in-fighting) and the rest of us who are their subjects."

http://francoistremblay.wordpress.co...c-hierarchies/

Plus, IBM might not have been able to tie the data mining directly to the NSA without some blabbing.
If IBM was offering their services for free, you can be sure there were some strings attached, in their favor.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If IBM was offering their services for free, you can be sure there were some strings attached, in their favor.
I know for a personal fact that IBM gives away more services and software each day than most companies buy in a year. They bleed themselves dry hoping to keep a bad contract in hopes of gaining a profitable one later. Back when I worked for them I spent 9 months working at a Railroad company putting in 50-60 hours per week attending meetings and waiting for them to give the go ahead to start building a software system. They finally decided to cancel the project and IBM got zero payment for my time despite the overtime the Railroad insisted I put in to prepare ground for the new systems. IBM had already been staffing over 30 people on another set of systems they had proposed 5 people for and the Railroad had increased the scope and number of systems involved. IBM kept hoping the project would see the light and increase the contract funding to cover the new scope and complexity.

IBM does not see political advantage, they only see money. Their problem is they cannot tell any longer if they are making or loosing it each quarter. If they offered to build the system for free they were hoping for the sustainment contract, but you can bet they were afraid to demand it for fear of being told no.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Heard Michelle has some sort of alumni connection with one of the top dogs at CGI

Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This is what I am thinking as well. "Reward your friends and punish your enemies".

Exactly to a damn T. Been Obama's motto right along, Reward my friends, and punish the hell out of my enemies, any way i can! and he does?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:13 AM

544 posts, read 610,149 times
wasn't IBM the company that helped Hitler keep track of the Jews / prisoners?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
So we've had Infowars and Free Republic cited. Quality info at those bastions of journalism.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:36 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So we've had Infowars and Free Republic cited. Quality info at those bastions of journalism.
The truth is the truth regardless where it came from. This has be sworn to under outh. Just because left media is afriad to cover it doesnt make it false.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:37 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I know for a personal fact that IBM gives away more services and software each day than most companies buy in a year. They bleed themselves dry hoping to keep a bad contract in hopes of gaining a profitable one later. Back when I worked for them I spent 9 months working at a Railroad company putting in 50-60 hours per week attending meetings and waiting for them to give the go ahead to start building a software system. They finally decided to cancel the project and IBM got zero payment for my time despite the overtime the Railroad insisted I put in to prepare ground for the new systems. IBM had already been staffing over 30 people on another set of systems they had proposed 5 people for and the Railroad had increased the scope and number of systems involved. IBM kept hoping the project would see the light and increase the contract funding to cover the new scope and complexity.

IBM does not see political advantage, they only see money. Their problem is they cannot tell any longer if they are making or loosing it each quarter. If they offered to build the system for free they were hoping for the sustainment contract, but you can bet they were afraid to demand it for fear of being told no.
And if they did build it free and it worked they should get that contract. I wonder if they would have charged more or less than 600 mil to keep running it?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:41 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
The failure of the obamacare website rollout qualifies as a large an unexplained controversy as Kennedy's assasination and gold treasure buried in the Superstition Mountains.

It is incomprehensible that Obama's legacy legislation could have been such a low priority to its namesake that it apparently did not stir the least bit of curiosity over its three year gestation period.

Anyone who has worked around programmers and businesses which rely on programming as a tool to conduct their business, knows that the obamacare website could not possibly be the catastrophe it is given the sophistication of standard process and good business practice.

It would be difficult to accept that incompetence was to blame as no one can possibly achieve that level of incompetence.

Obama apparently had no interest in his namesake legislation or the original plan was intentional failure as a preface to imposing some emergency measures.

Obamacare is a study of failure on so many levels from its inception to its rollout. Most disturbing is the lack of consideration for the people that have been hurt by this big hunk of floatsom.

When someone tells you you have to buy it to find out what's in it and you don't object, you are incompetent and demonstrate you do need a caretaker.

When the people who passed it keep getting unwelcome surprises three years down the road, you know it can't be good.

This rollout is absolutely a mystery for the ages and worthy of intense investigation as its failure is comparable to the sinking of the Titanic, the unsinkable ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies