Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:10 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

'Vindicated' Jameis Winston expected to win Heisman Trophy tonight

Documents and reports, including the accuser's accounts to police, have been made public. They are less-than-flattering to Winston.

On Friday, the accuser's attorney, Patricia Carroll, asked Florida's attorney general to independently examine the rape investigation, claiming it was riddled with problems.
---------------------

This case seems to be far from over. It seems the police report is missing the official signatures from the parties who took the statement from the "rape victim" and the State Attorney has close ties to the school and is an alumni from the same school as Winston.

There seems more to come from this case....what if Winston will win, can the Heisman trophy be taken if other things comes to light later on?

One thing is for sure in this case...Winston and the victim had sex so that is not a false accusation...the rest is something non of us know but it seems this case should have handled very different because right now it smells very bad.

If Winston is innocent and it was consensual sex than he deserves a chance to the Heisman trophy but all the time lines make it look worse for Winston. If he was innocent it would have been gone right away, but now it seems like a huge cover up where the girl is now the victim all to protect a great athlete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:25 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Last time I checked, the voters (mostly sports journalists) could vote for anybody they choose. So yes, they should be able to vote for Winston. They are voting for the "most outstanding college football player". Not the player with no issues.

And there are many many false rape accusations. It's a common practice. Just ask the Duke Lacrosse team.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Should Winston be able to win the Heisman trophy?

Only under one condition:

That he receives the most votes.

My prediction: he's got it in the bag. This young man put in an amazing performance this season, despite the hollow legal complications hanging over him for months.

And I don't even like Florida state.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
I think he'll win, but I definitely feel there will be LOTS of voters that leave him off their ballots entirely, just due to character issues (the sexual assault issue wasn't his only problem off the field). Let's face it -- teenage boys are not known for their decision-making prowess, and Winston is clearly no exception.

I can't say I'm all that impressed by his numbers. FSU played the 64th toughest schedule in the nation, so it's not like he was going against quality defenses every week, or any week for that matter. From all appearances, FSU owns one quality win -- against a 2-loss Clemson team that may not even win their bowl game. The ACC is weak from top to bottom. How weak? Well, the team FSU beat for the ACC championship -- Duke -- is now a 3-loss team who is no longer ranked in the Top 20.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:55 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
For those that say behavior should not factor in.................I'll bet few sportswriters will vote for a freshman in the future after the arrogant , immature, behavior of Johnny M in the off season.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
For those that say behavior should not factor in.................I'll bet few sportswriters will vote for a freshman in the future after the arrogant , immature, behavior of Johnny M in the off season.
Not to defend either Manziel or Winston -- because let's face it, teenage boys are largely moronic in their behavior -- but both of them were red-shirt freshman.

You're right, though -- I feel that MANY of the voters will remember Manziel's offseason this year, as well as Winston's off-field transgressions when they cast their vote.

Personally, I'd like to see a 4-year guy like AJ McCarron win. His stats weren't as lofty as Winston's, but they definitely came against much better competition.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
They took Reggie's Heisman away because his parents accepted free rent. I would think rape is far worse...
This whole deal smells, the judge, the prosecutor, the cops, all FSU grads protecting their golden boy. I hope the NFL looks at this before drafting him...

Old 12-14-2013, 10:39 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Default Should Winston be able to win the Heisman trophy?

Of course.

It's an athletic award. His athleticism this year has been nothing short of outstanding. The allegations against him have been investigated and found to be bogus. In America, false accusations shouldn't continue to haunt an individual.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
They took Reggie's Heisman away because his parents accepted free rent. I would think rape is far worse...
This whole deal smells, the judge, the prosecutor, the cops, all FSU grads protecting their golden boy. I hope the NFL looks at this before drafting him...

The whole deal does smell a bit -- the D.A. is an FSU grad/apologist, and the police departments did their usual incompetent work. Clearly, there was sexual contact that night (hence the DNA), but the D.A. didn't feel they had a case. I wonder if this would have played out the same way if FSU was unranked, and Winston had an average year.

Sadly, the NFL doesn't care as much about this as we would hope they might.

However, a GM would definitely rather draft a quality human being with character -- Andrew Luck, say -- than one like Winston. You can teach a college QB to read NFL coverages, but it is very difficult to teach them character and integrity.

I'm not an Auburn fan, but I hope they annihilate FSU in the bowl game. It would be a fitting end to the season for FSU.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:30 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,837,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Not to defend either Manziel or Winston -- because let's face it, teenage boys are largely moronic in their behavior -- but both of them were red-shirt freshman.

You're right, though -- I feel that MANY of the voters will remember Manziel's offseason this year, as well as Winston's off-field transgressions when they cast their vote.

Personally, I'd like to see a 4-year guy like AJ McCarron win. His stats weren't as lofty as Winston's, but they definitely came against much better competition.
I agree, spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies