Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I said externalities, not subsidies. Keep up, coal industry. Oh wait, never mind. You're stuck using a 19th century fuel, you probably are stuck with a 19th century mindset.
When is the last time you drove a car?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:35 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, first let's define "deep deep doo doo"...
EXACTLY what are we talking about here? WHAT is this deep doo doo? WHAT are the dire consequences of this warming trend?
Will some of the land area become too dry for agriculture? will the land area that is now frozen thaw out and become agricultural land? Will the sea level REALLY rise? If so, EXACTLY how much?
Since CO2 is necessary for plant life, will the increased levels of that gas mean better crop yields? If so, how is that bad?
EXACTLY what are the dire consequences for humanity as a whole if the global mean temperature increases, let's say, 3 degrees?
It is very interesting that NOBODY made any attempt to answer the questions.
Could it be that they just DON'T KNOW?
Or, could it be that correct answers don't support their alarms?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:41 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
An article from a right wing journalist who is not a scientist. I think Ill take the scientific communities overwheming consensus that there is an increase in global temperatures associated with anthropogenic causes.
It's not even an article. Its an opinion on a blog.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nah, first thing that popped up in google.

Would I defend it? probably not, I could defend a 90% number pretty easily I suspect.

Lets think this through though. lets say global warming has a 50% chance of being true. And a 50% chance of being false. I disagree with that, but lets use that for discussion

If we do something we didnt need to, we waste some money
If we do something and we did need to, yay! we save the world
If we dont do anything, and we didnt need to, yay we saved money
if we dont do anything, and we should have, we're in deep deep doo doo.

Given that...what should we do?
First, we should fix your logic.

If we do something we didnt need to, we waste trillions of dollars and lower peoples standard of living. We also hurt the environment by distracting us from real environmental issues.

If we do something and we did need to, yay! we spend trillions of dollars and make guys like Al Gore rich.

If we dont do anything, and we didnt need to, yay we saved money and refocused on protecting the environment from real threats and helped people with their standard of living.

if we dont do anything, and we should have, we may have to address warming issues but also will benefit from many things that warming would provide.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I said externalities, not subsidies. Keep up, coal industry. Oh wait, never mind. You're stuck using a 19th century fuel, you probably are stuck with a 19th century mindset.
Hmmm... water is also 19th century. Are you ready to quit using water to avoid exposing your 19th century mindset?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Since we have been over this before Sanspeur you know as well as I do where that number comes from. matter of fact it's almost word for word from the study. Do you really want to try and defend that number again?

If so what is the number of scientists that are the 97%?
He is a slow learner. Tell him about these 31,000 scientists

Global Warming Petition Project

Old 12-06-2013, 02:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It is very interesting that NOBODY made any attempt to answer the questions.
Could it be that they just DON'T KNOW?
Or, could it be that correct answers don't support their alarms?
Theres been research indicating what a 3 degree rise would mean. The estimates are a few hundred million dead, drought, starvation. Nothing really truly horrific per se. Its interesting because 2 degrees is seen as having small impacts, but hitting that 3 is when it starts hitting our ability to maintain it.

Theres also some concerns about what happens when we start melting ice caps, ocean acidifcation, etc etc etc.

Basically its a long list of things that would negatively impact the world.

Do the answers support the alarms? That one...is harder to say. at 5 degrees, yeah pretty sure. at 3...its borderline, and at 2 we seem to be OK.

But really google it and read some. Its a complex and fascinating subject that people have spent their entire lifetime figuring out.

And why hadn't I responded? To be honest I must have missed the questions, I follow a couple posts on here....but that means hundreds of responses, and I don't have tons of time as I only tend to post while stuffs compiling here at work. Others may have not bothered because they feel that explaining this to people who refuse to change their minds no matter the evidence is not a good use of their time.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Well, you used to know it. Then I showed you that your tabloid article was a lie and now you know better. You can't use ignorance as an excuse any more, so that makes you a liar. And we all know it.
You showed once again unproven theory.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:00 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nah, first thing that popped up in google.

Would I defend it? probably not, I could defend a 90% number pretty easily I suspect.

Lets think this through though. lets say global warming has a 50% chance of being true. And a 50% chance of being false. I disagree with that, but lets use that for discussion

If we do something we didnt need to, we waste some money
If we do something and we did need to, yay! we save the world
If we dont do anything, and we didnt need to, yay we saved money
if we dont do anything, and we should have, we're in deep deep doo doo.

Given that...what should we do?
Nothing. The earth heats and cools periodically. Has since time immemorial.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:02 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Regardless of what reality is ... Obama is going to authorize overt Solar Radiation Management (SRM) geoengineering and pay for it with tax payer money. SRM is also known as "chemtrails".

Dr. David Keith is the point man for the global climate change agenda and he has made his case that SRM is the right option for the next step. Interesting is that at one point in his presentation he actually claims SRM will also give us the ability to control weather ... which is really what the global warming scame is all about.

David Keith: A surprising idea for "solving" climate change - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies