U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,489,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
. The future is going to be awesome

Drivers-self driving cars
Manufacturing-3D printing and robots
Cashiers-self serve, and online ordering like amazon
Burger flippers-automated burger machines
Nurses-smart AI's and robotics
House cleaners-roombas now for vacuming...but upcoming robots. Google has invested in robots recently.
Pilots-some have said all they do lately is babysit the autopilots.
Garbagemen-used to require 3-4 people to run a garbage truck. now I think its just one guy. Maybe 2
Bankers/tellers-ATM's. yes there are tellers in a bank. I rarely use them. Back in the 90's I used them all the time. but now...heck I dont even have to go to a ATM to deposit checks anymore.
Warehouse workers-slowly being automated away today.
I added the smile, because progress is always required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,210,090 times
Look at this scenario: say 20 yrs from now
75% of our kids will mostly illiterate by world standards- they can read n write but not compete and win over the world . ( we don't invest in education)
some on drugs / lazy or uninterested or in prison and a few do fairly well and self centered but doing well.$$
So middle class what is what is left, but needing to eat n live and being the necessary servants.
But- now bread is $10 a loaf and life is supper high as we still causing a great imbalance,
By this time 75% of the people will be OLD-- the baby boomers wont be able to work--
what do yo think will happen to us-- ??

Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM

1,864 posts, read 1,822,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
And you think only low wage unskilled jobs are going the way of automation? It's only a matter of time before even highly trained middle class jobs will be automated. Say hello to the pharmacist killer:

Robotic Medication Dispensing : McKesson Corporate | ROBOT-Rx | McKesson

That thing is already dispensing 500 million prescriptions per year. Even robotics are being developed to replace surgeons, say good by to the need for 80% of physicians.

In the future, it won't be just low wage workers losing jobs to automation, it will be almost all of society. I'm all ears for what the solution will be for 75% unemployment when everything becomes automated.
Everything will just have to be free and everyone will have to be dispensed with the same things. After all, if there's no middle or lower waged people to spend money, how do the rich make money?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:50 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,820,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
What I want to know is, who were the community organizers responsible for coming up with this sudden "we need to get paid $15.00 an hour" crap? And what is the true motivation behind it? Where were these strikers a year or two ago?

Probably some SEIU organizers looking for more union members. But to get to this point is possible only because a critical mass of fast food breadwinners exists. This never could have happened 20 years ago when high school kids still worked these jobs.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,190,609 times
My first job was .65 cents an hour and I got outta there fast,after 1 summer.If I stayed there I would be a looser for life.So I learned a trade and the rest is history.Been at it 43 years and turning down work.Fast food aint a trade and never will be

Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 PM

3,602 posts, read 3,592,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yeah...because the "oh no, technology is stealing our jobs" thing isn't like a few thousand years old.

In the 1870s, 50% of the population was employed in agriculture, and in 1980, less than 4% was.

In the 1970s, half a million people were switchboard operators, then computer switching networks made them obsolete.

In the 1980s, most offices still had typing/secretarial pools, and office productivity software made them obsolete.

A steam powered drill made John Henry obsolete.

Interchangeable parts and the assembly line made piece work, cottage craftsmanship damn near obsolete.

As long as this country has existed, the un/low skilled worker has been running from that evil mistress called Progress. She is relentless, ruthless and simply cannot be stopped. Word to the wise...get skills to stay ahead of her.

The above examples are nice except for the fact that technological advancement isn't linear, it's exponential. Progress can't keep pace with exponentially changing situations. Who needs a human if machines will literally do everything in the future from programming themselves, repairing themselves, and replacing almost all forms of labor?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 PM

25,074 posts, read 11,716,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
My first job was .65 cents an hour and I got outta there fast,after 1 summer.If I stayed there I would be a looser for life.So I learned a trade and the rest is history.Been at it 43 years and turning down work.Fast food aint a trade and never will be
And yet...the fastest growing jobs today are these low paying jobs.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,085,810 times
Quote:
Ahhh...some truth there....but...

The future is coming. The change from subsistence farming taking 90% of our effort, to automated farming where it represents less then 10% was the first change of many. If we get to the point where providing the basics represents 5% of our gdp, that means 95% more can go into research, and advancing ourselves.

and the question then becomes...why shouldn't we provide a living wage to all....even if they do nothing?
Subsistence farming doesn't take 90% of your effort, assuming 100% is defined as a 40 hour work week. It doesn't take much work at all.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,190,609 times
Quote:
And yet...the fastest growing jobs today are these low paying jobs.
I don't think so just the easiest to get. hope you got my pm

Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM

7,585 posts, read 3,896,146 times
Quote:
If the wage paid by a job isn't enough to survive on without government assistance.....it isn't worth doing. If the job isn't worth doing it should be automated.
My thoughts on the matter are probably the closest thing to heresy that a Libertarian like myself can say, but here it is anyways:
1.) Yes, you should be able to survive on minimum wage working 40 hours a week. You shouldn't need government assistance to supplement your income. I know quite a few adults with children at home working at minimum wage jobs and they can't get by on it. Not even close.
2.) Survival does not mean the same thing as being prosperous. A living wage should be enough to get you one low-end used car, an apartment or small inexpensive house and have enough left to put food on the table.
3.) A living wage does not mean eating out three times a week, owning a 60 inch LCD HDTV, going on vacations to Hawaii or the Caribbean, owning a sport car, etc.
4.) So with that said, yes I agree with the notion of having a living wage.
5.) A living wage varies tremendously from one state to the next, so every state needs to adjust their own minimum wage accordingly.
6.) So ideally, no federal minimum wage should be needed ... as long as all the states mutually agree to enact their own living wage. Under current circumstances, this may not even be remotely possible -- but this sort of thing is supposed to happen at the State Government level.
7.) Minimum wage needs to be tied to inflation. The minimum wage should increase directly proportional to the buying power of minimum wage. That way, we don't have to have a huge debate every few years about whether we can or should increase minimum wage.
8.) Enacting a $15 minimum wage (the most common amount I keep hearing kicked around) and doing so immediately would wreak havoc on the economy. It needs to be done slowly.
9.) So take your living wage, peg it to inflation now and create a ten year timetable to get us there, moving the needle upwards a little bit every year.
10.) Be ready and willing to bail out if it's creating a huge mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies