U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 PM

7,372 posts, read 4,475,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexygeography View Post
I almost feel like sometimes supposed "anti-racism" indeed is bitterness towards white people. The odd thing is many of the people who espouse it are white themselves, yet feel ashamed of the sins of their ancestors.
This is well known. White guilt. There are entire books written about the subject.
Quote:
It's just silly to me because even though white people did victimize other ethnicities, white ethnic groups have also been victims (ie the Holocaust, British persecution of the Irish) and nonwhite ethnicities have also committed genocide (the Hutus killing the Tutsis, Bantu domination of Khoisan in southern Africa). Hell the Chinook Indians even kept slaves. White people do not have a monopoly on persecution.
It's political. Liberals wouldn't get over 90% of the minority vote if they went around saying everyone's been both victim and oppressor. They whitewash the negative about minorities and play up the evil of white men.

There's no sense trying to give examples of blacks keeping slaves or of Native Americans acting barbaric or men being discriminated against in favor of women. It doesn't matter to them. It's politics. It's not that they don't see the facts. It's that they don't want to see them. The facts don't fit their worldview. You can't treat a liberal like a disinterested observer who draw whatever conclusions that history and facts point towards. The liberal has already conceived a worldview and is only interested in confirming it.

Quote:
Some people on the Left have this concept that a member of a victimized group always has the moral upper hand no matter what. Seems like many leftists are more interested in revenge than in reconciliation and equality, which upsets me as the left is supposed to be the saner side of the spectrum.
A while back this was an openly accepted position on the left. No matter what a woman did, she could not be guilty of sexual discrimination or harassment. No matter what a black person did, he could not be guilty of racism. The theory was that white men have the power in society, and discrimination requires a person in power to be victimizing someone of lower status. Since a black person wasn't a member of the privileged group, a black person could never be guilty of racism. Any wrongful act committed by a black person or a woman was merely a reaction to the injustice that society heaped on them, and was therefore justified.

That isn't so much a popular stance these days as it was back when I was younger, but you can still see it prominently when it comes to the Middle East. We saw it plainly last summer when leftists were coming out against Israel for striking the missile sites that were being used to lob rockets into Jerusalem. The fact that the Israelis were attempting to stop people from attacking them unprovoked and in violation of international laws and peace agreements didn't matter. What mattered was that Israel was in the power position, so therefore Israel was the guilty party and the people launching rockets at them were simply freedom fighters.
You also saw the same thing when liberals got up in arms about Israel stopping the "Freedom Flotilla". Even when the "humanitarian aid" on the "freedom flotilla" turned out to be weapons being illegally smuggled to terrorists, liberals still bashed Israel for stopping the ships.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 AM

15,072 posts, read 16,744,254 times
I grew up taught that only White people can be racist, that White people were responsible for the world's ills, and that the vast majority of White people are actually evil except for well-meaning White liberals who properly despise themselves.

I think that the above stated maxims came out of a certain strain of Black intellectualism during (and preceding) the civil-rights era and was propagated in a certain circle of university intellectuals and thus disseminated.

It should be noted that I went to a mostly Black inner-city school with mostly Black teachers. I don't know if White kids are getting these messages in White majority schools, but when I went to university, anti-White rhetoric was pretty prevalent in some circles. Not as prevalent as the uber-conservatives would like you to believe, but it was there and palpable, especially in departments that skewed hard left like Latin-American studies, cultural anthropology, and others.

Luckily I saw through this all and now realize that no one race has a monopoly on ill-will towards others.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 PM

991 posts, read 885,802 times
The best way to look at it is that there is only one race: the human race. I will always call out those who mistreat and unfairly judge others, regardless of skin color or some other construct we humans seem to obsess over. Under the same logic, I don't owe anything extra to those who share my ethnicity or skin pigmentation. I happen to be an American with Italian, Scottish, Irish, French decedents (among other nationalities that I am not even fully aware of). I married a woman who was born in Laos.

People who constantly think in terms of racial divisions do not see the whole picture, in my opinion.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 PM

5,221 posts, read 4,142,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
No. We're not ashamed of what our ancestors did. We have no control over that.

We are ashamed of what is happening right now, in our own neighborhoods. We're ashamed that racial profiling is so prevalent amongst our law enforcement officials. We're ashamed that parents are still teaching their children to keep away from minorities. And we're ashamed that minorities are still underrepresented in our government and businesses.

I hope you continue on in your college studies! Good luck with finals.
Why don't you keep that we-crap to your self. My family owned no slaves,
committed no atrocities, and I am proud of my family. I coach youth sports
and have for 35+ years. I teach my kids that actions have consequences &
no matter what your past is, you are not bound by it or held back by it. 90%
of life is what you do, about the actual 10% that happens to you. Imaginary
chains cannot hold you back, but hard work, belief in yourself, and constant
effort to improve yourself will earn success. Actions are more important than
words, and accomplishments will give you self esteem.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 PM

9,979 posts, read 6,169,759 times
Do some leftists take anti-racism too far?

Leftist (liberals) take everything too far.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:19 PM

5,096 posts, read 7,304,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Even if we were all one color we would find a reason to hate. That is human nature
I do believe you are right. Every racial group has prejudices among themselves.
Spanish speaking people have their own hierarchy depending upon country of origin. White people look down upon other whites depending on towns they live in or lifestyle. Blacks do the same with their own race as well.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,677,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Why don't you keep that we-crap to your self. My family owned no slaves,
committed no atrocities, and I am proud of my family. I coach youth sports
and have for 35+ years. I teach my kids that actions have consequences &
no matter what your past is, you are not bound by it or held back by it. 90%
of life is what you do, about the actual 10% that happens to you. Imaginary
chains cannot hold you back, but hard work, belief in yourself, and constant
effort to improve yourself will earn success. Actions are more important than
words, and accomplishments will give you self esteem.
Thanks for the pep talk, skippy, but believing in yourself and reaching for your dreams has nothing to do with the continued existence of racial injustice in America.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 PM

8,399 posts, read 5,121,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexygeography View Post
I almost feel like sometimes supposed "anti-racism" indeed is bitterness towards white people. The odd thing is many of the people who espouse it are white themselves, yet feel ashamed of the sins of their ancestors.

It's just silly to me because even though white people did victimize other ethnicities, white ethnic groups have also been victims (ie the Holocaust, British persecution of the Irish) and nonwhite ethnicities have also committed genocide (the Hutus killing the Tutsis, Bantu domination of Khoisan in southern Africa). Hell the Chinook Indians even kept slaves. White people do not have a monopoly on persecution.

Some people on the Left have this concept that a member of a victimized group always has the moral upper hand no matter what. Seems like many leftists are more interested in revenge than in reconciliation and equality, which upsets me as the left is supposed to be the saner side of the spectrum.
It is true that people have been brutal to one another various groups, but Europeans in American inventing this idea of race radically changed the world.

Before the enslavement of Africans people didn't identify themselves by skin color. The French didn't think they and English were one people because they shared similar complexions.

This reality existed all around the world, in which people identified themselves based on language, customs, religious beliefs etc, not skin color.

The invention of this idea of race changed all of that, now to have black skin meant one was a slave, close to animal maybe not even human.

A whole ethnic identity was created around this idea of race, the white American identity and was forced on everyone else.

This is what makes the enslavement of Africans and the creation of race a different kind of evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies