Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 PM

28 posts, read 65,245 times

Advertisements

I almost feel like sometimes supposed "anti-racism" indeed is bitterness towards white people. The odd thing is many of the people who espouse it are white themselves, yet feel ashamed of the sins of their ancestors.

It's just silly to me because even though white people did victimize other ethnicities, white ethnic groups have also been victims (ie the Holocaust, British persecution of the Irish) and nonwhite ethnicities have also committed genocide (the Hutus killing the Tutsis, Bantu domination of Khoisan in southern Africa). Hell the Chinook Indians even kept slaves. White people do not have a monopoly on persecution.

Some people on the Left have this concept that a member of a victimized group always has the moral upper hand no matter what. Seems like many leftists are more interested in revenge than in reconciliation and equality, which upsets me as the left is supposed to be the saner side of the spectrum.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,833,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexygeography View Post
I almost feel like sometimes supposed "anti-racism" indeed is bitterness towards white people. The odd thing is many of the people who espouse it are white themselves, yet feel ashamed of the sins of their ancestors.

It's just silly to me because even though white people did victimize other ethnicities, white ethnic groups have also been victims (ie the Holocaust, British persecution of the Irish) and nonwhite ethnicities have also committed genocide (the Hutus killing the Tutsis, Bantu domination of Khoisan in southern Africa). Hell the Chinook Indians even kept slaves. White people do not have a monopoly on persecution.

Some people on the Left have this concept that a member of a victimized group always has the moral upper hand no matter what. Seems like many leftists are more interested in revenge than in reconciliation and equality, which upsets me as the left is supposed to be the saner side of the spectrum.
racism is racism, and should be called out whenever it happens.

not my fault that its mostly white people who are the ones perpetrating racism.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,005 times
The whites who scream racist the loudest and the most are just projecting.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,486 times
Even if we were all one color we would find a reason to hate. That is human nature

Old 12-05-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Even if we were all one color we would find a reason to hate. That is human nature
I don't really agree - there's no "racist gene". However Dawkins does make a good case that evolution is self driven and not for the good of the species, so perhaps conflict between individuals will always be a reality on some level no matter how successful the memeplex of human rights becomes.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:

No. We're not ashamed of what our ancestors did. We have no control over that.

We are ashamed of what is happening right now, in our own neighborhoods. We're ashamed that racial profiling is so prevalent amongst our law enforcement officials. We're ashamed that parents are still teaching their children to keep away from minorities. And we're ashamed that minorities are still underrepresented in our government and businesses.

I hope you continue on in your college studies! Good luck with finals.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
I don't really agree - there's no "racist gene". However Dawkins does make a good case that evolution is self driven and not for the good of the species, so perhaps conflict between individuals will always be a reality on some level no matter how successful the memeplex of human rights becomes.
Geesh, what teacher made you read The Selfish Gene? That book is so outdated.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:

Sounds like an unnecessary obsession. You should just work on just letting these thoughts not consume you.

Good luck with that.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Sounds like an unnecessary obsession. You should just work on just letting these thoughts not consume you.

Good luck with that.
Who ever said I was obsessed with it? It was only an observation.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Who ever said I was obsessed with it? It was only an observation.
Its fair to say that is your observation, but it seems to be more of an outside looking in observation rather than you actually understanding what the "left" is saying.

No one, that i have seen, is talking about the sins of their ancestors, they are talking about the things that are going on today.

I understand you have your views, but it is alot better to ask what is going on rather than just assume what is going on based on your own bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies