U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,493,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The war on poverty was never about helping poor people. Look at the numbers. It is about employment for government union workers.
only with someone with half a brain would believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,865,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
According to a Cato Institute study published last year, combined expenditures for federal and state governments provided to means-tested public assistance, welfare, is about $1 Trillion a year.

There are approximately 48 million people in the U.S. with incomes at the poverty level or below.

1 Trillion dollars divided by 48 million people is about $21,000 tax dollars spent PER PERSON a year. That would be $84,000 for a family of four.

Fire the government union workers and cut the poor a monthly check instead. A family of four could live comfortably on $84,000 a year.
I work for the government, have a family of 4, and make 40k per year. Your idea sounds nice. I stay home and make an extra 44k. You should run for government.....of Cuba.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:12 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,952,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Refusing to educate yourself in basic finance is a choice, in essence you are choosing to be poor. Spending more than you make is choosing to be poor.

Democrats always think that throwing more money at the problem is the answer but refuse to understand they must cut expenses. Knowledge is power over your situation. If you don't understand the basics you allow others to have power over you because you become desperate and are easily persuaded to believe lies. Sorry but Obama knows you are desperate and is selling you lies.

Promise riches and the poor will come clamoring when educated people Obama can't legislate prosperity.

Housing is the greatest expense for most Americans, and local governments often use housing policy for social engineering (e.g. by zoning out the poor), and I seem to be the only one interested in making housing more affordable without throwing money at the problem.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:16 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,952,602 times
Quote:
Years ago although I made decent money I had a lot of debt, no money. I was depressed because I felt so poor. I "chose" to do something about it. Little did I know that I was at a cross roads. Continue doing the same thing and I was on the road to poverty regardless of how much I made. I "chose" a better life road of course but this meant changing. I calculated all my debt, made a plan to pay it all off. The 1st thing I did was cut spending. Then I put that money toward paying down debt, using the snowball effect. I used the Internet to educate myself on basic finance, credit and investing. I did buy some books and reading became my entertainment. Now with all debt gone, money in the bank, investments, I feel rich. What a difference that decision made in my life.

More money is not the answer when you don't know how to handle the money you already get.

I chose not to be poor and Obama couldn't have done it for me.

Since there is a basic cost of living for all, even though that cost varies by location, the income-deficient don't have as much room to cut expenses as the rest of us have. One could argue that the income-deficient don't have a(n over)spending problem as much as they have an income problem.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:12 AM

13,702 posts, read 9,797,871 times
A simpler solution is to reduce the Federal budget by 97%.
Though drastic, it's better than a 100% reduction, post collapse.

Without the aggregate 44% tax load, and the parasitic drag of bureaucrats and recipients, things may swiftly improve.
__ Repatriation of industries. (Zero tax load is a great incentive)
__ Boom in jobs (Zero meddling by government is another great incentive)

Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 AM

39,128 posts, read 20,259,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since there is a basic cost of living for all, even though that cost varies by location, the income-deficient don't have as much room to cut expenses as the rest of us have. One could argue that the income-deficient don't have a(n over)spending problem as much as they have an income problem.
Yea, those of us who pay federal taxes are always responsible for paying for the children regardless of how old.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 AM

9,763 posts, read 8,099,612 times
There is no way to "end" poverty. There will always be those in the poverty levels for various reasons. Some due to laziness, some due to addiction, some due to disability, etc. Whether people believe it or not, everyone has the "opportunity" to succeed. You could improve the chance of success by reducing the roadblocks put in place by the local, state, and federal government. Roadblocks include huge amount of nanny regulations from many government agencies, taxes and fees on things you couldn't even imagine, and many other things all make it very difficult to start business.

Another thing that can be done is to allow public schools to hold students accountable for their grades and hold them back if they fail, especially at the elementary school levels. Don't graduate students to the next grade if they can't read at grade level, no matter how well they can play sports. Take school counselors to all the vocational schools to educate them on what's available to students other than university education. Not every student is university material. Some of those could excel at vocational training and quickly earn a career type job within a year or two.

At one time, being "on the welfare" was not a source of pride. Being "on the welfare" was something you hoped to get off from by getting a job and earning the money. Now some look at "on the welfare" as a source of pride that they can stay at home and work the system instead of working at a job. Welfare programs were suppose to be a temporary help in between jobs, to help those who are mentally and physically unable to work, or as a supplement to those with special needs. I have family who receive aid. They don't live on the government aid, they work for a living. The aid helps them with special needs family members (an adult child with severe non-communicative autism, disabled spouse who requires regular medical aid).

Old 12-08-2013, 06:15 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
Quote:
Years ago although I made decent money I had a lot of debt, no money. I was depressed because I felt so poor. I "chose" to do something about it. Little did I know that I was at a cross roads. Continue doing the same thing and I was on the road to poverty regardless of how much I made. I "chose" a better life road of course but this meant changing. I calculated all my debt, made a plan to pay it all off. The 1st thing I did was cut spending. Then I put that money toward paying down debt, using the snowball effect. I used the Internet to educate myself on basic finance, credit and investing. I did buy some books and reading became my entertainment. Now with all debt gone, money in the bank, investments, I feel rich. What a difference that decision made in my life.

More money is not the answer when you don't know how to handle the money you already get.

I chose not to be poor and Obama couldn't have done it for me.
Sounds like a Dave Ramsey convert did well!

Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 AM

66,196 posts, read 33,593,322 times
Default How to end poverty in America

Get the Federal Government out of the business of micromanaging lives.

The laws at the federal level and the many alphabet agencies there are have stifled prosperity for all and changed it to prosperity for only a few.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 AM

6,777 posts, read 2,490,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why would someone choose to work and be poor at the same time?
They make choices all the time. If you are middle aged and making $9 an hour, that's not by accident or bad luck. It's a string of choices. Extra work is what cures bad past choices. Not doing the extra work is a choice. Becoming more marketable in a higher paying job is a choice. Etc etc.

Poverty in America is a choice. Period. You end poverty when you end choice and human nature that guides it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies