U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 AM

369 posts, read 377,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
poverty is a by-product of laziness. I was poor growing up, and I am now lower middle class. but compared to what I had when I was young, I am rich. I am content with where I am. but I had to work hard and a lot to earn what I earned. I knew I was not going to get out of poverty by being lazy.

Its too bad that your parent(s) were so lazy. I hope you tell/told them how ashamed you are of them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM

38,008 posts, read 18,971,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
Years ago although I made decent money I had a lot of debt, no money. I was depressed because I felt so poor. I "chose" to do something about it. Little did I know that I was at a cross roads. Continue doing the same thing and I was on the road to poverty regardless of how much I made. I "chose" a better life road of course but this meant changing. I calculated all my debt, made a plan to pay it all off. The 1st thing I did was cut spending. Then I put that money toward paying down debt, using the snowball effect. I used the Internet to educate myself on basic finance, credit and investing. I did buy some books and reading became my entertainment. Now with all debt gone, money in the bank, investments, I feel rich. What a difference that decision made in my life.

More money is not the answer when you don't know how to handle the money you already get.

I chose not to be poor and Obama couldn't have done it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sounds like a Dave Ramsey convert did well!
Actually I did this way before I heard of Ramsey. And yes, it was worth passing up those shoes, that gadget that would have long been forgotten about. The best part is I didn't go back to my old ways. I wouldn't stop with him though.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 AM

5,628 posts, read 2,128,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
Its too bad that your parent(s) were so lazy. I hope you tell/told them how ashamed you are of them.
I was poor growing up, and it is exactly because my parents were lazy and self-absorbed, and in the 29 years I have been an adult, the discussion has come up before and I have told both of them exactly that. Has nothing to do with proud or ashamed, but the simple fact is that my poverty then and their continued poverty now is a direct result of laziness, self-absorption, and one bad choice after another.

Minus subjective opinions and appeals to emotion, the simple fact is poor people are poor because they choose to be. And "helping" them means making someone else responsible for their bad choices. Period.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:05 AM

38,008 posts, read 18,971,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I was poor growing up, and it is exactly because my parents were lazy and self-absorbed, and in the 29 years I have been an adult, the discussion has come up before and I have told both of them exactly that. Has nothing to do with proud or ashamed, but the simple fact is that my poverty then and their continued poverty now is a direct result of laziness, self-absorption, and one bad choice after another.

Minus subjective opinions and appeals to emotion, the simple fact is poor people are poor because they choose to be. And "helping" them means making someone else responsible for their bad choices. Period.
Volobjectitarian, I love hearing other success stories. Good for you for not taking the easy road and giving into poverty.

Most poor unknowingly choose to be poor, self absorbed, attitudes, how they think, their view of the world, the people they learn from, the people they choose to be around, decisions they make, of big importance their lack of open mindedness.

Did you ever notice how the poor ask but always reject anything that doesn't fit into their "poor me" view?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 PM

17,978 posts, read 9,869,523 times
Quote:
They make choices all the time. If you are middle aged and making $9 an hour, that's not by accident or bad luck.
Explain that to former Enron employees. Explain that to the guy who spent a career and a lot of money becoming a top machinist...and then seeing all the machinist jobs go to China.

Oops, no, that was not by accident or bad luck--that was by specific policies of industry and government.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,440,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Cato Institute HAH! I actually kind of like the idea of a $21,000 check per person as a way to increase expenditure and eliminate poverty with no other welfare programs or bureaucracy but as was mentioned you still need workers to check for fraud and to handle the work.

What is with people hating unions? If you have such a terrible job situation, maybe you should join one.
Where does that money come from?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 4,439,070 times
Quote:

I did the same thing some others here have done. I made a choice to better my life after drifting around and working minimum wage jobs. I had gone to college but hated it and dropped out. But I got an entry level job, studied on my own time and got a professional certification where I paid for my own testing process. I leveraged that certification and my work experience to go from minimum wage no skill labor to being middle class. That's a success story.

However, I then became disabled. My wife said she couldn't deal with it and left. And took my house with her. I have a car which I can no longer drive. I made the right choices, I did the work. But here I am. I did not choose to be poor. On May 23, 2011 I started the day waking up in my house next to my wife to get ready to go to my regular middle class job, and I ended that day disabled for the rest of my life. Now I've come to terms with that, but you can't tell me it was poor choices.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Housing is the greatest expense for most Americans, and local governments often use housing policy for social engineering (e.g. by zoning out the poor), and I seem to be the only one interested in making housing more affordable without throwing money at the problem.
Taxes are my biggest expense.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Get the Federal Government out of the business of micromanaging lives.

The laws at the federal level and the many alphabet agencies there are have stifled prosperity for all and changed it to prosperity for only a few.
Amen!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:49 PM

5,201 posts, read 4,209,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
So you want the northern states to fire all their teachers, firefighters and policemen ... since they are in unions...

and somehow, "magically" *poof*, the conversion of federal Medicaid / SNAP / etc. to a voucher systems would overcome the lack of police and fire in about 1/3 of the country?

i need some of what you've been smoking.
Education would be infinitely better without teacher's unions sending property taxes into the stratosphere and preventing real reform of education. Teachers are paid as if they work a full time job, but get summers and semester breaks off--and as government workers they get paid more, and have far more generous benefits, than a private sector worker. The cost of public education has skyrocketed, while national academic achievement as compared to other nations is poor at best.

Firefighting used to be a volunteer job--now they "work" 2 days a week (on call), get paid for sleeping and exercising, and retire after 20 years with a pension bigger than most people's salaries. Firefighting is significantly less dangerous than even being a police officer--which isn't very dangerous as occupations go. "Firefighters die at a rate of 2.5 per 100,000 workers, which is slightly above the rate for cashiers" (Firefighter one of nation’s safest jobs | CalWatchDog).

Finally, the police are not nearly as useful as we give them credit for: they spend endless hours handing out traffic tickets or chasing victimless crimes pursuant to the "War on Drugs"--while if your car is stolen, or your house is broken into, their quick visit to fill out the form is the only attention your crime will get. They get extra generous pay and benefits as if their lives were on the line every day (unlike military servicemen, who DO risk death daily and get paid virtually nothing), yet their jobs are only as dangerous as those of "Drivers / Sales Workers and Truck Drivers" (How Dangerous is a Law Enforcement Career). And the majority of police officer deaths are due to traffic accidents, which typically occur as people try to avoid either huge speeding fines or jail time pursuant to the idiotic "War on Drugs" (America's most dangerous jobs - Police officer (11) - CNNMoney). This is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies