U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 10:37 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I can only wonder if this QE is going to continue for 3 more years? If it does, my guess would be that just before Obama leaves off QE will stop, the market will get a reality check, along with everyone else that doesn't get it, and somehow the republicans will be blamed for it.
I watch Wall Street. As soon as the Fed even hints at "tapering off" the market tanks.
Then the Fed says "No, we'll keep pumping" the market recovers.

Wall Street doesn't have faith in the economy holding its own just yet.

I think too many people are hoping "recovery" means back to the good old days pre-2008 when asset bubbles provided the virtual money everyone was spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Harm the economy is not the same as causing a recession(which is what you seem to be assuming)

Democrats were arguing that we could have created more jobs and grew our economy more if not for the sequestration.

Democrats also did not say a shut down would collapse the economy, you are thinking about defaulting on the debt which is a completely different argument all together.

Also, you are linking economic progress with cuts to food stamps when their is no proof that either is connected. You are arguing a correlation/causation effect with nothing to actually bridge the gap.
Either Obama has fixed the economy or he hasn't. You guys are claiming that god-like Obama has made everything right --- but then for some odd reason, you don't want to stop throwing money at the unemployed lazy people who obviously just plain don't want to work for a living since unemployment rates are rock bottom now.

Let's all agree that with this great news of low unemployment, that there should be no more talk of unemployment extensions. Further cuts should be made to food stamps and the other handouts that encourage laziness.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 AM

Well that puts us 2% above defined full employment.

6 million more jobs and we're fully recovered and living the good life again.
Is my math correct ?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 AM

21,729 posts, read 10,597,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well that puts us 2% above defined full employment.

6 million more jobs and we're fully recovered and living the good life again.
Is my math correct ?
I thought full employment was 4%, your comment would would put it at 5%.

And being fully recovered has nothing to do with jobs numbers(in the economic sense ...or political in this case).

Old 12-06-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Either Obama has fixed the economy or he hasn't. You guys are claiming that god-like Obama has made everything right --- but then for some odd reason, you don't want to stop throwing money at the unemployed lazy people who obviously just plain don't want to work for a living since unemployment rates are rock bottom now.

Let's all agree that with this great news of low unemployment, that there should be no more talk of unemployment extensions. Further cuts should be made to food stamps and the other handouts that encourage laziness.

You seem to operate on a pass/mentality and continue to back that up with each post, i have no idea if it is an act or if you just dont understand( the bold makes me think you just dont understand.,) but either way, i will hold you to it in future responses.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM

17,016 posts, read 11,383,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is great news, unemployment at a 5 year low, long ways to go but very positive indicator.

US Unemployment Falls to 7 Pct. on 203K Jobs Added - ABC News

The Kool-Aid flows freely today from the "Ministry of Truth".

Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I thought full employment was 4%, your comment would would put it at 5%.

And being fully recovered has nothing to do with jobs numbers(in the economic sense ...or political in this case).
That number was set in 1978.
The US has never achieved 4%.
But we did settle for 5%.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM

17,022 posts, read 9,066,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is great news, unemployment at a 5 year low, long ways to go but very positive indicator.

US Unemployment Falls to 7 Pct. on 203K Jobs Added - ABC News

"Still, the report contained some sour notes: Many Americans are still avoiding the job market, neither working nor looking for work. That's one reason the unemployment rate has fallen in recent months. The percentage of adults who are either working or searching for jobs remains near a 35-year low."

Odd how the huge amount of those jobs that are government jobs aren't lauded in the article.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,550,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good news. It's time to cut back the food stamp program and other welfare handouts more. Cutting the food stamps by not renewing the temporary increase has obviously worked to get more people to work.

Shutting down the government may have helped also. Just like the fears of the sequester were unfounded, so were the fears of fewer food stamp money unfounded.

At any rate there is no excuse to keep so many people on welfare handouts. There are plenty of jobs now.
No, let's stop QE since the economy is doing so great. Let's stop UE extensions. Then we can take a look at our economy and address stopping food stamps and welfare handouts.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That number was set in 1978.
The US has never achieved 4%.
But we did settle for 5%.

The U.S. has achieved 4%

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

a good bit of times as it turns out.

P.S. i have this set to 1948 to 2013, but i think the link resets to a default 10 years (2003 to 2013), but you can change it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies