Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 09:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
200K jobs created DOES NOT lower the UE rate by several tenths of a percent.

A .7 percent change in UE being 200,000 new jobs... means there's 28 million people not working.

Except that we have around 300 million people... and just over half that employed. You're arguing that we have a 7% unemployment rate, but the total number of people working is rising SLOWER than the population is. So, about 120 million - according to you - do not work, do not want to work, or cannot work, and therefore are not "unemployed against their will".

The entire unemployment rate statistic is.... FICTION.
I am not saying it is perfect, it is a start. I have been negative about this so-called recovery because it seems to be a recovery on Wall Street and not on Main Street. That withstanding, I said it is a start but there is lots of room to grow from here. Hopefully it is not a one off event and leads to bigger and better growth and growth of real jobs and not part-time minimum wage work. (Though there has been less part-time job growth this year.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 09:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am not saying it is perfect, it is a start. I have been negative about this so-called recovery because it seems to be a recovery on Wall Street and not on Main Street. That withstanding, I said it is a start but there is lots of room to grow from here. Hopefully it is not a one off event and leads to bigger and better growth and growth of real jobs and not part-time minimum wage work. (Though there has been less part-time job growth this year.)
Uhhhh... You cannot get more employment by adding massive new burdens.

And that's what's been going on. Every federal agency has been piling on masses of new regulations that cost huge money, Obamacare's a massive new cost for the consumer...

Jobs don't come from wishes. They come from there being profits to make.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Who said that nothing or no one has gotten better?

You asked what the general trend was, I gave it to. All of the below are facts.

Since Obama declared the recovery began:

-Poverty Rate has Risen

-Number on Food Stamps has Risen

-Median Household Income has Fallen

-Ratio of Full Time Jobs* in the Economy has Fallen.

-Employment Participation Dropped and at its Lowest rate since the 70s.

-Employment Participation for 25 to 54 year olds Dropped and at its Lowest rate since the 80s.

-QE economic stimulus Increased to all time Highs.

Here is a question for you...what percent of the created jobs are full time and pay a living wage? You won't answer...the fact isn't convenient.

*Full time jobs tend to offer benefits unlike part time jobs...making this even more harmful
So things have only gotten worse then, because I don't see any positives in there.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Oh, my dear MichiganMoon, I think all the time.

Not just parrot talking points picked up from some Rightwing website.

The Right is always determined to find the black-lining to every silver cloud. They don't even wait for the full story before they decide everything is evil. Your leaders declare the President is trying to destroy the country and you lap it up and demand more of the same. The Right seems to prefer living in fear, worried about 'the end of the world', terrified of their government, their neighbors and people in general. And yet you want us to believe you have the answers...when all you seem able to do is re-state the issues.

And what answers the Right has are for the wrong problems. Yes, things are not all they should be...the economic situation is improving too slowly but when you are dealing with such large issues (and such obstructionist congresscritters) too slow is better than not at all or worsening. But the Right cannot admit that even for a moment. They must continue to gin up fear and anger or they have nothing to run on.

ACA won't destroy the country. Neither will the president, the illegal immigrants, or anything else that has the Right's hair on fire. We are stronger than they believe. They think Americans are weak, useless, and prone to 'taking' and seem to have nothing to offer but disrespect and fear of their fellow citizens. They proclaim to 'love America' but have a real problem with Americans. Small wonder they can't get a man in the White House.
OK Fancy - take me on! I'm a Democrat - I dislike the President and never voted for him because I didn't trust him from the get go.

If someone disagrees with your views you automatically attack them and label them as either tea partiers or racists.

I have seen nothing that the President has done to improve this country except making people more dependent on the government. His jobs initiative failed. His healthcare plan is nothing more than redistributing the wealth affecting mostly the middle class. Education is suffering due to Common Core, which is a failure disliked by teachers, parents and students.

I've seen a President that preached bipartisanism during the elections - thumb his nose at those on the other side and not even meet with them to discuss things, but instead ram things through and use "Executive privileges" to circumvent them.

There are many Democrats in my area that are fed up as was witnessed by the recent elections in my area. There are many of us that are no longer participating members in our local party due to the mindless followers that no longer think for themselves but believe the canned rhetoric being given out..

There were many alternatives or visions for the ACA - but the Republicans thoughts were never presented for a vote - Thank you Mr Reid.

The Democrat party of the past was the working man's party - not anymore. That working man can no longer afford to follow the party as they just continue to take, take take and give to those who could care less where the money comes from as long as they get it. If the democrats want to retain their party members - they better start thinking of solutions to the problems this country has instead of just bandaging it with printing more money, redistributing the wealth or robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Republicans are not the only ones you have issues with, but many disenchanted lifelong Democrats.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:21 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Lmao @ Ken the unapologetic kool-aid serving volunteer...

Posts jobs numbers for THE SHOPPING SEASON. Then says..

"They may go down...they may go up"

Ignoring the premise. But at least he recognizes he, along with everybody else, has no idea what will happen post-seasonal layoff all in the face of policy change.

Making progress, Kenny

Also, in other news, wearing dead cats on your head is "trending"...what will be hot tomorrow? Stay tuned

Old 12-08-2013, 05:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
So....... taking all the pros and cons of the current situation, is it trending towards positive or negative tea baggers?

Just need a one word answer: positive or negative.
Depends on where you sit now doesn't it?

“This country would never tolerate white unemployment at 14 and 15 percent."
“The national average is 7.7 percent, and African-American unemployment is 13.8 percent. To be honest, it’s probably greater than that when you count the number of African-Americans who have simply given up on finding employment”

BET Founder Slams Black Unemployment Rate - Leah Barkoukis

One of the mainstays of the Obama years has been the notion that when the economy picks up in general, African-Americans will be swept up in the good tidings.
However, that has not been the case.
Though the Black unemployment rate dropped last month, it remains nearly double the overall rate—a fact the Black community has dealt with for decades.
http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/12/...te-still-high/

So, is it racist to allow the above to happen to one group while crowing about how another group is supposedly doing so well or is it just not wanting to mention an inconvenient truth?

Old 12-08-2013, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Obviously I have to simplify my message for you, Michigan Moon.

The Right keeps pushing talking points.

But you continue to offer no solutions, no answers, no nothing.

The country is noticing that the Right has nothing but complaints. Americans don't like whiners.
You didn't ask for solutions. Instead of asking for solutions it was an attack on the person stating some factual information.

Now if solutions are what's wanted one should ask for 'em THEN critique those. Wouldn't THAT be the fair thing to do?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Not when all MM does is repeat, ad nauseam, the same half-dozen points. At that point, we know what she has to complain about...but does she do anything else?

As for XRay -- It's easy to say you're a Democrat but when you offer nothing but Republican talking points, forgive me for doubting your word.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Uhhhh... You cannot get more employment by adding massive new burdens.

And that's what's been going on. Every federal agency has been piling on masses of new regulations that cost huge money, Obamacare's a massive new cost for the consumer...

Jobs don't come from wishes. They come from there being profits to make.
The anti-oil and Obamacare I agree with but the other laws are protective laws. Banking regulation, we saw what unsanctioned banking did twice and the first was pretty much a repeat of the first minus the government pumping money in because of the disaster the first was. Many EPA laws are environmentally purposes, I mean would you want you coast covered in oil or living in a city with dangerous levels of smog like say Bejing? What about the handicapped, shouldn't they have reasonable accessability to the same jobs and resources we do?

Those are the issues, we have seen unregulated business and it has hurt people. Now I am not saying they should be boxed in dramatically, I am just saying we need the bare-minimum to protect society at large.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
FancyShmancy,
Are you really ignorant enough to think that federal government statistics are "anecdotes" or are you selling out your integrity so Obama gets a false recovery?
We'll know Obama has improved things when the liberals will agree that it's time to cut the unemployment extentions, food stamps, disability fraud and other welfare handouts.

A good economy does not have increasing rates of food stamp recipients, Medicaid and other government dependents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies