U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:23 PM

6,275 posts, read 6,113,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
conservative mandela derangement syndome.

they do the same thing with MLK every year near the holiday.

the simple question i want to know is why is there such condemnation from conservatives, specifically white conservative males towards universal black icons that are revered across the world.
Just because he is a black hero, his policies and the consequences cannot be criticized?
I call that discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM

3,624 posts, read 2,966,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Just because he is a black hero, his policies and the consequences cannot be criticized?
I call that discrimination.
the majority of conservatives have no idea what his policies were. all they know is what apartheid was, and the majority in this thread (white conservatives) have said they supported apartheid.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM

10,875 posts, read 6,585,654 times
Quote:
South Africa is still a third-world country with weak economy, although it has a lot of resources and has a pleasant climate. It could have been a first-world country.

I agree apartheid is wrong and should be changed. However, did they conduct it in the best way possible?
Africa can't be 'improved'.

Name a country there you wouldn't mind living in.

South Africa will continue to devolve just like everywhere else on the continent.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:51 PM

44,662 posts, read 43,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Africa can't be 'improved'.

Name a country there you wouldn't mind living in.

South Africa will continue to devolve just like everywhere else on the continent.
Can you explain why you think it won't get better?

BTW, I would not mind living in Cape Verde or Namibia.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:53 PM

44,662 posts, read 43,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yes and if you were White then the 1950s you could be eligible to live in the best kept neighbourhoods and the most modern type of homes and items of that period. In addition the White school system was world class and the government spent much more on White Schools than Black School. In addition in many Black neighbourhoods there was no taps at peoples homes or flushable toilets were largely unknown.
This is true. I also feel like there are those out there, who know it's true, who would want to see a return to policies such as those you describe. I have no reason to want to see those policies return.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 PM

6,527 posts, read 8,623,627 times
For the 'voter ID equals voter suppression' crowd.
EVERY person in South Africa age 16 and up MUST be in possession of a photo ID at all times.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 PM

10,875 posts, read 6,585,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Can you explain why you think it won't get better?

BTW, I would not mind living in Cape Verde or Namibia.
The same reason that most of the muslim countries can't be improved: destructive and violent tribal conflicts and indigenous belief systems make conflict ubiquitous.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 5,082,366 times
Quote:
South Africa is still a third-world country with weak economy, although it has a lot of resources and has a pleasant climate. It could have been a first-world country.

I agree apartheid is wrong and should be changed. However, did they conduct it in the best way possible?
Not to impugn anyone's intelligence, but seriously most people have a hard enough time understanding American politics.

Most people don't know anything about South African society and are either repeating something they heard or read or are making stuff up.

I say you can judge a leaders impact on a society based on how the people react when that leader is dead.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,127,983 times
I have tremendous respect for Mandela due to his renouncing of violence and preaching tolerance, unity, and peace. He was truly a great leader and an inspiration.

That being said I hold nothing but contempt for the African National Congress, Winnie Mandela, Zuma, and Mbeki. They have squandered every opportunity they had to improve South Africa for all South Africans. Instead they incite race violence, ignore the rampant corruption, the crime rate, HIV/AIDS, etc. All the claims of the South African National Party of what would happen if majority Black rule came along have been proven true by these clowns. The excuses they used to "justify" Apartheid have become reality.

Tell me, is the average Black person in the slums of Soweto really better off now than they were before 1994? The ANC has become the very thing they sought to remove!

Hendrik Verwoerd and DF Malan are saying "I told you so" from their graves. Thanks alot ANC for failing South Africa. The ANC ruined Mandela's legacy but they can't seem to see it.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 PM

6,275 posts, read 6,113,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Not to impugn anyone's intelligence, but seriously most people have a hard enough time understanding American politics.

Most people don't know anything about South African society and are either repeating something they heard or read or are making stuff up.

I say you can judge a leaders impact on a society based on how the people react when that leader is dead.
When chairman Mao died, Chinese people were in deep sorrow.
However Mao's policies are still criticized today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies