Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

South Africa is still a third-world country with weak economy, although it has a lot of resources and has a pleasant climate. It could have been a first-world country.

I agree apartheid is wrong and should be changed. However, did they conduct it in the best way possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Actually South Africa is usually considered a 2nd World nation (those terms are non-PC now, by the way) in the same grouping as South Korea, Spain and Taiwan.

This thread will degenerate and be closed in fairly short order.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
South Africa is a 3rd world country to you? Either you don't know what that means or you have a very broad term for 3rd world.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually South Africa is usually considered a 2nd World nation (those terms are non-PC now, by the way) in the same grouping as South Korea, Spain and Taiwan.

This thread will degenerate and be closed in fairly short order.

According to CIA, the GDP per capita (PPP) of South Africa is $11,600.
Taiwan $39,400, South Korea $32,800, Spain $31,100.

So no, they are far from similar. South Africa is more like China ($9,300), but only on average.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,101 times
Seriously?

The man only led the opposition to end the backward and barbaric system of apartheid! I mean, it's not like that's a tiny task.

As for the economic side of things, obviously, a country takes a very long time to go from developing to developed. These things just don't happen overnight. For Christ's sake, China has been growing rapidly for over 3 decades now and still isn't a developed country (not even close). South Africa, despite its many, many problems, still has the largest and most diversified economy in Africa. It also has one of the highest GDP per capita in Africa too. It's still got a massive uphill battle to go, but it's far better off than the overwhelming majority of countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.

So, yes, Mandela did really do good for South Africa. There are things that have to be considered besides economics here. Look at the greater picture.

The world lost a great man yesterday. R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
South Africa is a 3rd world country to you? Either you don't know what that means or you have a very broad term for 3rd world.
Yes I have a broad term.
The GDP per capita (PPP) of South Africa is lower than that of Venezuela, Iran and Libya.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Seriously?

The man only led the opposition to end the backward and barbaric system of apartheid! I mean, it's not like that's a tiny task.

As for the economic side of things, obviously, a country takes a very long time to go from developing to developed. These things just don't happen overnight. For Christ's sake, China has been growing rapidly for over 3 decades now and still isn't a developed country (not even close). South Africa, despite its many, many problems, still has the largest and most diversified economy in Africa. It also has one of the highest GDP per capita in Africa too. It's still got a massive uphill battle to go, but it's far better off than the overwhelming majority of countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.

So, yes, Mandela did really do good for South Africa. There are things that have to be considered more than economics.

The world lost a great man yesterday. R.I.P. Nelson Mandela
In the 1950s, South Africa was even better than now is, compared to other African countries

Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yes I have a broad term.
The GDP per capita (PPP) of South Africa is lower than that of Venezuela, Iran and Libya.
Then you would be inaccurate based on your broad definition.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM

525 posts, read 508,595 times
I don't know if I'd consider SA "3rd World" but it is certainly impoverished and dangerous. I had the opportunity to travel through South Africa a few years back and it's very dirty in most places. Cape Town is ok in the bowl area but the suburbs are rough...especially the ones that are populated by native black africans as opposed to "colored" Africans or Afrikaners. Johannesburg is similar...the slums are awful but a few suburbs are ok. Pretoria is all around a fairly nice city. I didn't have the opportunity to go to Durban or many of the other cities on the southeastern coast, but I've heard mixed reviews.

It seemed that most people that I knew had a good opinion of Mandela, both Afrikaners and blacks. However nearly all Afrikaners had a very bad opinion of the ANC as a whole...particularly Mbeke and Zuma. Both of these men quite clearly have a major dislike for White's. Which, given their history, it is understandable but it doesn't excuse it at the de facto or de jure level.

Either way...Mandela brought the country together for a while. My only hope is that his death will serve as a reuniting factor as well.

But to be honest...I think SA will soon parallel Zimbabwe. White farmers are already discriminiated against and they will soon face institutional racism by the ANC, even more than they already do. If I were an Afrikaner...I'd leave for either Botswawna, Namibia, or Europe.

But to answer your question....Yes...Mandela was a great man and did a great thing for South Africa. However he can't be held for the behavior of his successors.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In the 1950s, South Africa was even better than now is, compared to other African countries
Tell that to the overwhelming majority of South Africans who lived on the wrong side of the apartheid laws at the time…..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies