Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 03:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Right now we have a law that says the minimum value of an hour of labor is $7.25/hr. I do not see anyone on this thread advocating for $10 or $15/hr. I do not support $15/h; could maybe support $10 as my daughter worked for less in a children's museum that had some advanced education requirements. She was also responsible for other people's kids as well, which is always hard work.

A worker can do all the above and the employer can say, "Sorry Charlie, that's all we're paying you".
Just how do you determine the number of $10/hr. Why not $15? I don't know whether it has been mentioned on the thread, but $15 is the number that SEIU and other advocacy groups are pushing. It has already passed in a suburb of Seattle, and they plan to try to pass it in Seattle next.

Would you also support my idea of minimum donation amounts to charity as a way to boost charitable giving? If not why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? where can i get one of those training programs?
https://www.cfda.gov/?s=program&mode...b31f9ccadb6f2c

Old 12-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Actually, I just remember back to when my labor was only worth 90 cents an hour, and what I had to do over a period of nearly four decades to increase my value to the rest of society to the $250,000/year range. And wonder why today's minimum wage workers cannot make themselves more valuable to the rest of us.
Exactly the point. You are worth what your skills provide to a business. The government telling a business what somebody is worth is BS. Go earn it yourself. I'm tired of all this living wage ignorant argument stuff. That is the keyword now "living wage". Nobody I ever knew in my entire life thought they would be a burger flipper their whole life. This is pure communist crap. Fight for the workers hey maybe the government should just take over the fast food industry? LOL

Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Just how do you determine the number of $10/hr. Why not $15? I don't know whether it has been mentioned on the thread, but $15 is the number that SEIU and other advocacy groups are pushing. It has already passed in a suburb of Seattle, and they plan to try to pass it in Seattle next.

Would you also support my idea of minimum donation amounts to charity as a way to boost charitable giving? If not why not?
Fifteen? Hell why not $50 an hour. I mean lets get really fair here. Or why not a hundred bucks an hour? Can any liberal answer this question? Why not make these evil companies pay all the workers half million dollars a year? Any liberal have an answer to that? I doubt it.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
If he agrees to serve for minimum wage or less, maybe. What is all this fervor to reduce or eliminate it anyway? In the sixties it was worth more than today's, and almost nobody complained.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Ferver? The "fervor" is to raise it and make folks unemployed or put folks out of business to make things fair. I mean do you want to pay eight bucks for a cheesburger or wait fifteen minutes to get it? That is the choice. A small business will have to let folks go, raise prices or provide crappy service. All so you can wail that life is fair. Well guess what life isn't fair you have to go out and get what you want not sit around and wait for the government to provide it to you. The lost generations is what this one will be called soon.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

$10/hr would be a 33% increase. That's probably enough. I've seen figures that show that if min. wage kept up with inflation since the 60s, it would be about $10/hr now.

A minimum donation to charity wouldn't exactly be voluntary, now would it? That would be a tax.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Fifteen? Hell why not $50 an hour. I mean lets get really fair here. Or why not a hundred bucks an hour? Can any liberal answer this question? Why not make these evil companies pay all the workers half million dollars a year? Any liberal have an answer to that? I doubt it.
So far I think I've posted the charity analogy 3 times, and can't get even one lib to respond. I suppose it is late enough in the afternoon that the wine and doobies have come out, and more than 1 step of logic is out of the question.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:10 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

Only the most worthless worker needs to fear loss of minimum wage laws. It would be a huge boon for the unemployed.
I bet you don't go around around telling low wage workers that they are worthless - in real life.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
$10/hr would be a 33% increase. That's probably enough. I've seen figures that show that if min. wage kept up with inflation since the 60s, it would be about $10/hr now.

A minimum donation to charity wouldn't exactly be voluntary, now would it? That would be a tax.
OK thank you for responding katiana. So where do you come up with the 33% increase number? Why not 22%? why not 44%?

Establishing a minimum donation level still would leaving the decision whether to donate as voluntary (just as the decision would hire is voluntary). It would just establish a minimum amount that you can donate, if you donate. Exactly analogous to the minimum wage. Just as a way to boost donations. If it works with wage rates, why wouldn't it work with donation rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies