Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
How many people think that this would end well at all?
I do, but then I am the most rational person.

Quote:
Am I the only one that finds this appalling?
Probably, but then you are one of the most irrational posters, and I'll prove that with facts in just a second here.

Quote:
That he could be so out of touch with the people who he represents?
Gosh, I don't know, why don't read the US Constitution, then learn the meaning of "federal republic" and then get back to us.

In the mean time, suffice to say that if you do not live in his Congressional District, then he does not represent you, and since I don't live in his District, he doesn't represent me, either.

That harkens back to, uh, you know, "federal republic" and the US Constitution, which I would be happy to tutor you for free so that you might understand it.

Quote:
What do people here that support this think would happen if it were to pass?
Nothing bad would happen.

A rational poster is aware of an animal called 'State government'.

A rational poster is aware that many States have a minimum wage law.

A rational poster would understand and expect that the minimum wage laws in each of the several States would vary, with some being higher than the "federal minimum wage" and some being lower than the "federal minimum wage."

A rational poster would be aware of the fact and be able to explain why a Single Person with an annual income of $9,101 in one part of the united States is denied HUD Section 8 housing benefits.

A rational poster would be able to explain the fact that another Single Person living in a different area of the united States can earn $53,490 and move into their tax-payer subsidized Section 8 Housing as soon as the paperwork is completed (about 4 weeks).

Why is one Single Person denied with an annual income of $9,101 while one Single Person in different part of the US gets approved at $53,490?

A rational person understands that there are 1,539 separately functioning economies in the US, and that the Cost-of-Living varies so greatly, that a Single Person earning the "federal minimum wage" $7.25/hour in one area of the US is actually earning $14-$15/hour, and so $9,101 is too much money.

Although the State minimum wage in Ohio is $6.84/hour, and the federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, explain why a fast food worker in Cincinnati starts at $8.50-$9.00/hour.

That's easy to explain.....The Law of Supply & Demand....which is what sets wages, not governments, and most certainly not the most irrational people.

When the government says the "Poverty Level" is $11,490 for one person, that is the average rate of CONUS (the 48 States in the continental US....Alaska and Hawaii are excluded).

The true accurate real Poverty Level depends on which one of the 1,539 separately functioning economies in which one resides.

$6,038.85 per year in Cincinnati
$
21,861.80 per year in San Fransisco

$1 Cincinnati Dollar = $3.62 San Fransisco Dollars

So, as you can see, your fears are unfounded and totally irrational, but then look on the bright side...

....you have so many new things to think about.....just as soon as you stop drinking the Kool-Aid®.

Rationally....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 10:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Uhhh.... WRONG.

50% of minimum wage jobs are held by workers 16-25 years old. Only 3% - that's right, 3% - of workers above 25 years old are earning minimum wage or less.

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

It's best to get your facts straight before saying stupid things like that.

Most minimum wage ADULTS - over 18 - are trying to live on that income; I worked my way through college with minimum wage jobs.

And probably just about as many workers escape the minimum wage tag only because they work in states with a higher minimum wage.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Interesting how the libs ran away after you posted that. Facts are hard things for them to deal with. Liberals are just plain lost. Sad thing is they don't care. They will run off and scream about another issue with more lies and BS. Just mind boggling how dumb some folks are.

Many minimum wage earners between 18 and 24 are trying to live on that wage; I worked my way through college working minimum wage jobs.

And the only reason an approximately equal number of workers don't earn minimum wage is that they work in a state with a higher minimum wage.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The problem is that, the minimum wage went up significantly in what, 2007-2008? And it made absolutely no difference whatsoever on the relative gap between rich and poor. If the minimum wage was to go up again, it would also make no difference whatsoever on the relative gap between rich and poor.

Which is what I've been trying to say. At best the minimum wage accomplishes absolutely nothing. And at worst, it is incredibly destructive. The reality of the minimum wage, is that it exists because good people are trying to help. The problem is that these people have no concept of how the minimum wage actually plays out in reality.

The idea behind the minimum wage. Is that by raising the minimum wage, you will make the poor wealthier. But for that to be true, that wealth needs to come from somewhere, or from someone else. The problem is that it is simply not true, that if you raise the minimum wage of the poor. That it takes from the rich.

The problem is that, businesses set prices. And if their costs go up, so do their prices. And as wages at the bottom go up, so do wages go up across the board.

Thus as I said. If you wanted to actually create more pay equity. The minimum wage is a complete waste of time. You would also need to set "maximum wages/compensation". Or at the very least be able to set prices.

The perfect example of this is professional athletes. Their wages have gone up far faster than inflation. Why?

Would raising the minimum wage force professional sports franchises to pay their athletes less? Would there be any real effect on the relative pay gap between professional athletes and unskilled workers?

If you want to fix the system. Then you must actually design a system that works.

I do not expect a minimum wage increase toi make workers better off,, I see it as a defensive tool to prevent them from becoming worse off than they are already becoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies