Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times

Advertisements

Put away a quarter into a Roth, put another quarter I'm the stock market with diversified mutual fund, put another quarter in the bank and use the other four starting up a small business (anything not used will be in the bank.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 07:32 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,633,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
"Chicks dig dudes with money."
This is true.
Back in the 70s at the big concerts there would be the most beautiful young women with these decrepit, hoary old men. They always got the backstage passes and they all looked like they must have done powdered sugar donuts in the bathroom.
But if you looked closely, you could see that their eyes were always on the young stud muffins who were everywhere on the fringes of the action.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The ex-CEO of United Healthcare received 1.8 billion in severance pay, so it's not out of the realm of possibility, at least for him, but if suddenly you were in possession on that amount of fiat currency, what would you do? (to coin a phrase by John Quinones).
I would keep enough for my family to live comfortably the rest of our lives and then donate the rest. I'd have to research those options though. Or maybe I'd set up my own charity. I don't know.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,710,466 times
I read something interesting on the inside of a Snapple cap:

If you had 1 Billion dollars, and spent 1 Thousand a day, it would take you 2,749 years to spend it all.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,226,632 times
a serious look at how i can make the world better.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,951,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The ex-CEO of United Healthcare received 1.8 billion in severance pay, so it's not out of the realm of possibility, at least for him, but if suddenly you were in possession on that amount of fiat currency, what would you do? (to coin a phrase by John Quinones).
My first priority would be to make sure the government gets the least amount possible.

After that, I suspect I'd be doing something like they do on Shark Tank - investing in ventures to do something useful.

Somewhere along the way, I'd also buy land and build a house somewhere I'd want to finish my days - likely a good red state like Wyoming or something.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:11 PM

I thought this over all afternoon after posting some trite comment and what I'd really do is travel. I'd spend whatever necessary to insure my best comfort along the journey. First class and five star all the way. I've already spent the better part of 70 years taking chances and roughing it. I'd go to very exotic, hard to reach places and have extended stays. Places like Petra, Victoria Falls, Kathmandu, Chichen Itza, Istanbul, Lhasa, London in a nice suite and of course, ICorp, Danang, Hue and Saigon.(It Will always be Saigon to me)
My son got married in Costa Rica in 2010 and it was a wonderful two week adventure. I'd like to replicate that experience for the rest of my life.
When you're my age and have a billion, you don't need to make more and the kids are grown and gone. all that's left and relevant is to go find the world and possibly yourself, with some meaning in the process.
I would also go to China and have a 90foot Vietnamese Junk Built completely out of Tonkin Teakwood. I'd ship it on a freighter to San Francisco and when I wasn't traveling, I'd sail that baby all around San Francisco Bay. I'd name it "Di Di Mau". 90ft is big enough to live on and have extra cabins.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,710,466 times
You guys are all giving $10 Million dollar dreams.

Dream Bigger.

Your own space program?

Buy a major corporation and have every executive tap-dance in the middle of Broadway?

Build an island?

Start a movie studio and film your favorite books? I'd start with 'Freddy the Detective' in live-action.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post

Dream Bigger.

Your own space program?

Buy a major corporation and have every executive tap-dance in the middle of Broadway?

Build an island?

Start a movie studio and film your favorite books? I'd start with 'Freddy the Detective' in live-action.
That's a good point. Funny, Bile Gates can give away 4 billion and still have too much money.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,951,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
So? I expect that in 10 years, 1 billion won't be even 10 million in today's dollars. My investments would be in part ownership of a lot of productive ventures.

Quote:
Dream Bigger.

Your own space program?

Those are stupid.

Quote:
Build an island?
A billion isn't enough.

Quote:
Wow, what vanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies