U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,695 posts, read 7,357,390 times
Reputation: 5443

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Dr. Ben Carson brilliant surgeon, absolutely embarrassingly ignorant on politics/public policy.

I mean people will remember the insanity of that comment. He will forever be associated with saying a piece of legislation that pools people in various states for the purpose of buying health insurance from privately owned companies is as a bad as the enslavement of Africans.

This is what I mean when I say conservatives are drifting further and further away from reality, because he said it in a room full of conservatives, they didn't react negatively to that insanity some of them cheered.

The conservative party is beholden to a lot of insane people filled with strange fantasy beliefs that have no relation to reality.
That isn't the purpose of the ACA, and you probably already know that. The entire purpose of the ACA is wealth redistribution - upward wealth redistribution at that. It takes money from those who already don't have much of it and gives it to those at the top of the economic scale. On top of this, it pulls the money from discretionary spending (which is what our economy thrives on) and requires people to spend it on something that they neither want nor need.

Do I agree that the ACA is worse than slavery? Not really, but as far as the likely economic impact goes it has the potential to be absolutely devastating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,423 posts, read 9,097,651 times
Reputation: 28966
The wealth redistribution, in fact, goes from the rich and, mostly middle class simply because there are more of them, to the poor. That's the idea behind wealth redistribution, and why it ultimately results in the disappearance of the middle class, which moves down, not up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Republic of Texas
988 posts, read 1,006,418 times
Reputation: 707
1.) The War of Northern Aggression
2.) Federal Reserve Act
3.) FDR
4.) Woodrow Wilson
5.) LBJ
6.) Carter
7.) Clin-toon
8.) Obama
9.) Sean Penn
10.) Labor unions
11.) Abolishing the death penalty
12.) IRS
13.) EPA
14.) Dept. of Education

Not necessarily in that order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:10 AM
 
8,399 posts, read 5,078,660 times
Reputation: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
That isn't the purpose of the ACA, and you probably already know that. The entire purpose of the ACA is wealth redistribution - upward wealth redistribution at that. It takes money from those who already don't have much of it and gives it to those at the top of the economic scale. On top of this, it pulls the money from discretionary spending (which is what our economy thrives on) and requires people to spend it on something that they neither want nor need.

Do I agree that the ACA is worse than slavery? Not really, but as far as the likely economic impact goes it has the potential to be absolutely devastating.

I write that conservatives are drifting further and further away from reality and you go and prove it.

First off the ACA is redistributionist, but so is just about every law. So this is saying something but not really saying nothing.

Also, the ACA is redistributionist from wealthy individuals because their taxes go up quite a bit and to low income Americans.

Sure insurance companies make out like bandits, but that was inevitable since conservatives want "private insurance" companies to exist, so they have to be subsidized by the government for them to exist in a world where they can't deny people insurance.

In terms of discretionary spending, this is a huge joke right. People want insurance. The reasons people don't get insurance are mainly for two reasons, their employer doesn't offer it and they can't afford it.

So this idea that this pulls money from discretionary spending is your made up fantasy.

The rest of your post is pure fantasy nonsense, but I don't expect anything else from conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,092 posts, read 10,613,133 times
Reputation: 13445
9. The Great Depression (apparently not as bad as the Affordable Care Act according to the good doctor).

10. Pearl Harbor.

11. The September 11 terrorist attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,695 posts, read 7,357,390 times
Reputation: 5443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I write that conservatives are drifting further and further away from reality and you go and prove it.

First off the ACA is redistributionist, but so is just about every law. So this is saying something but not really saying nothing.

Also, the ACA is redistributionist from wealthy individuals because their taxes go up quite a bit and to low income Americans.

Sure insurance companies make out like bandits, but that was inevitable since conservatives want "private insurance" companies to exist, so they have to be subsidized by the government for them to exist in a world where they can't deny people insurance.

In terms of discretionary spending, this is a huge joke right. People want insurance. The reasons people don't get insurance are mainly for two reasons, their employer doesn't offer it and they can't afford it.

So this idea that this pulls money from discretionary spending is your made up fantasy.

The rest of your post is pure fantasy nonsense, but I don't expect anything else from conservatives.
Sigh, for the millionth time, I'm not a conservative.

As for the rest of your post, you claim that people want insurance. No, they don't. They want affordable health care. The ACA does nothing to provide affordable health care. Technically, it doesn't even provide affordable health insurance, as the actual premiums will still be expensive and merely offset in some cases by subsidies. Sure, it will be more affordable for some, but only because the ACA is siphoning money out of the middle class in order to make it that way.

Quote:
Also, the ACA is redistributionist from wealthy individuals because their taxes go up quite a bit and to low income Americans.
Approach the question with a bit of logic. Where does the money end up? It doesn't end up with the poor, nor with the majority of the middle class. It ends up with the shareholders and executives of hospitals, insurance companies, and pharmaceuticals. These are people who are already at or near the top of the economic ladder. It is, in fact, wealth redistribution from the bottom to the top, and you've fallen for it hook, line, and sinker.

Quote:
So this idea that this pulls money from discretionary spending is your made up fantasy.
Discretionary Income:
Money spent by consumers on non-essential purchases such as vacations or luxury items. Discretionary income represents the amount of income remaining after a person pays for personal necessities and taxes.

Health insurance has now become a necessity thanks to the ACA. Or a tax, depending on who you listen to.

Considering that health insurance premiums are, on average, increasing by 41%, this means that middle class wage earners will have less money for discretionary spending.

49-State Analysis: Obamacare To Increase Individual-Market Premiums By Average Of 41% - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 AM
 
23,718 posts, read 16,024,869 times
Reputation: 8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
3. People who hate a black guy like Ben Carson for telling the truth.
Reading garbage like this is not funny...it's pathetic! Are you not aware of the brutality that slaves suffered at the hands of their masters? To negate the horrors of slavery by using it as a comparison to providig affordable healthcare is more than ignorant...it's sociopathic. Yes, sociopathic, when one cannot empathize with the pain and suffering of fellow humans...

Quote:
Perhaps the most striking theme in the diaries, at least for the modern reader, is Thistlewood's sheer brutality. On numerous occasions he recorded punishments meted out to slaves, never expressing remorse or second thoughts. At times these punishments were exotic in their cruelty. One practice, which he nicknamed "Derby's dose," involved forcing one slave to defecate into the mouth of another. On another occasion, he placed a bondsman in stocks, rubbed molasses on him, and allowed insects to swarm over him during the night. There is no reason to believe that Thistlewood was uniquely violent or sadistic by Jamaican standards. In fact, Thistlewood and his neighbors actually judged some white newcomers to be too violent. For Burnard, violence and brutality were far from incidental to Jamaican slavery--they were its very heart. In a colony with such a large enslaved majority, whites quickly learned that instilling terror, or what Burnard refers to as "tyranny," was the surest way to maintain dominance.
https://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=13425
Yeah, that excerpt is the one that Martin Bashir read before he told off idiot Paliin who also had the audacity and lack of empathy to compare slavery to The ACA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,484,155 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Considering employers, doctors, patients don't know the repercussions of Obamacare yet, your question is premature. Ocare will not be up and running for individual patient care for at least another month. We don't even know if enough people will sign up for the economics to work per Obama's plan. The impact of the law on employer provided health insurance won't be felt for another year. How the ACA impacts employment, patient care, the economy, is still up in the air.
<bold> You forgot to add most of those in government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,484,155 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Dr. Ben Carson brilliant surgeon, absolutely embarrassingly ignorant on politics/public policy.

I mean people will remember the insanity of that comment. He will forever be associated with saying a piece of legislation that pools people in various states for the purpose of buying health insurance from privately owned companies is as a bad as the enslavement of Africans.

This is what I mean when I say conservatives are drifting further and further away from reality, because he said it in a room full of conservatives, they didn't react negatively to that insanity some of them cheered.

The conservative party is beholden to a lot of insane people filled with strange fantasy beliefs that have no relation to reality.
He's not been proven right or wrong yet, let's not jump to conclusions. At least wait until the "ACA" is actually up and working when and if that ever happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,484,155 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
That isn't the purpose of the ACA, and you probably already know that. The entire purpose of the ACA is wealth redistribution - upward wealth redistribution at that. It takes money from those who already don't have much of it and gives it to those at the top of the economic scale. On top of this, it pulls the money from discretionary spending (which is what our economy thrives on) and requires people to spend it on something that they neither want nor need.

Do I agree that the ACA is worse than slavery? Not really, but as far as the likely economic impact goes it has the potential to be absolutely devastating.
Well, if you consider that slavery was taking people and forcing them to do things against their free will under threat of punishment then it's quite comparable. Or am I missing something with respect to the ACA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top