U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 PM

6,714 posts, read 7,422,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Refering to the bolded part, how do you account for the difference in cost between Medicare, a government run program and private health insurance costs.
Not too many years ago I transitioned from a BCBS employer provided health insurance to Medicare. I have cardiology and vascular issues. I had a series of catheterization procedures at the same hospital within 18 months of each other, all identical.
The "chargemaster" amount the hospital billed my insurance or Medicare was outrageous, as they always are. The mutually agreed upon amount paid by Blue Cross was almost 35% more than the standard Medicare payment for the procedure.

If what you say is true, then how come the government run Medicare program for the exact same procedure done at the exact same hospital was 35% cheaper than private insurance and private insurance was 9 times cheaper than what the hospital chargemaster was????

The numbers were
Chargemaster=43,000.00
BCBS=5,800.00
Medicare=3750.0

Just trying to dispel another well established conservative myth when they are trying to defund, cut back or entirely eliminate various social safety net programs.
Quote=Expecting government involvement to make anything more affordable overall fits the definition of insanity

I am living proof that that is not the case.
Wait, you're trying to use Medicare as proof that government involvement makes things cheaper? Is that really your argument? The fact that Medicare pays less to the hospital has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the hospital's service is more affordable. Yes, Medicare pays less, but the hospital then jacks the prices up for non-Medicare patients in order to make up the difference. Talk to anyone who deals with Medicare and insurance companies on a regular basis and they'll explain it to you. Why do you think hospitals charge $500 to stitch up a simple cut, or $20+ for an aspirin? A large part of those costs are to make up the difference between what Medicare pays and what the actual cost of a procedure is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 02:39 PM

5,223 posts, read 4,242,319 times
Allowing Washington to confiscate however much of the working class's wages as it wants--before they even see their paychecks.

That is the definition of slavery.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM

9,473 posts, read 5,700,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I know for a fact that Medicare pays the going cost of the hospital for a particular procedure plus a built in percentage of profit.
That is absolutely NOT fact.

Quote:
And that is a fact.
WRONG!!!!!!

Quote:
I also know that the detractors of medicare constantly harp on how much the hospitals and medical centers are ringing up fraudulent charges. If the hospitals are losing so much money on Medicare, how can they be simultaneously bilking the government for billions? It's got to be one or the other.
Wow, how incredibly dense and thoughtless of you. This isn't even a question, nor is your premise even remotely rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies