Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 AM

37,173 posts, read 19,194,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It means I don't deny that a teacher named Jesus probably walked the earth 2,000 or so years ago, and he preached a message of peace and of love thy neighbor. But I also don't believe he was a deity in flesh.
Nor did a number of the founders who signed the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. They were Deists, and did not accept the divinity of Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Nor did a number of the founders who signed the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. They were Deists, and did not accept the divinity of Jesus.
That is complete myth, not supported by their own writings.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Some Satanists are atheists and some aren't.

Atheistic Satanism

Atheistic Satanism does not believe that "Satan" actually exists, as such, they do not worship Satan. They believe every person is their own god and that everyone should worship themselves. To them, "Satan" is a symbol of rebellion rather than a literal figure; they do not worship Satan any more than Buddhists worship Buddha.
LaVeyan Satanism

LaVeyan Satanism is an atheistic "religion" whose chief organization, the Church of Satan, was founded by Anton LaVey in 1960s San Francisco. They all but admit that they chose to call their belief system "Satanism" to annoy Christians. While anti-religious, it also rejects many of the ethical tenets of secular humanism, feeling them to be too close to Christian morality (which they feel represses the individual) and instead following a combination of pseudo-Nietzschean ideas and Ayn Rand worship that it calls the "Left-Hand Path." For the record, they officially frown on child and animal sacrifices, saying that we should all strive to be like children or animals. (Adult sacrifice, on the other hand, seems to be totally cool, as long as the person pissed you off.)
Theistic Satanism

Theistic Satanism believes that "Satan" is an actual independently existing being, which serves as a God-analogue. While atheistic Satanists deny that the Christian God exists. Theistic Satanists vary in their opinions:
  • Most deny God's existence altogether
  • Some believe that God exists, but is weaker than Satan
  • Some believe that God exists, and that Satan is weaker and God will ultimately triumph over him — and they will be consigned along with Satan to an eternity in hell. They believe that it is "better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven", as Milton said.
  • Some believe that both God and Satan exist but that the final outcome of all this is unknowable.
  • Some believe that God exists but is unworthy of worship and choose to worship Satan rather than show even tacit approval for such a God.
A prominent example of theistic Satanism is the Temple of Set.

Satanism - RationalWiki
Why isn't there a religion named I don't know - IDK for short? I think it would catch on a lot faster than all of the anti-Christian groups who are so easily offended by Christianity. IDKs would have a common belief - they don't know what to think or believe as far as a greater power is concerned and leave it at that. They would have no reason to protest against any other religion because they don't know. They would have no alternatives to put in place of deities other choose to worship because again, they don't know.
Life would be a lot simpler.

If a theist believes in Satan he believes in God as one is tied to the other unless claiming Satan is an entity appearing from nowhere with no documentation from where that belief began.
He does appear in the ages old Bible, which many seem to loathe much as they do the Constitution. How many atheists/satanists can quote scripture from the Bible? Too many...they believe in God but turn their backs.

We live in a nation of misfits and by their own choosing. No one has to believe in anything or practice any religion if they don't want to. That is enumerated in 1A. Anything other is plain silly.

Misfits do love to raise awareness to things that don't really matter in the big picture.

BENGHAZI and other illegal coverups should be front page news, not 1st world religious woes.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
I say that as long as the satanic monument meets community standards, bring it on.

As a Christian, I feel that the debates and discussion brought on by having the two monuments next to each other would be healthy.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
And do you feel that what you consider should then be the law of the land?
I'm in agreement with what the First Amendment clearly states, in it's historical context.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
That is complete myth, not supported by their own writings.
Guess again.

"In the United States, Enlightenment philosophy (which itself was heavily inspired by deist ideals) played a major role in creating the principle of religious freedom, expressed in Thomas Jefferson's letters and included in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. American Founding Fathers, or Framers of the Constitution, who were especially noted for being influenced by such philosophy include Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Cornelius Harnett, Gouverneur Morris, and Hugh Williamson. Their political speeches show distinct deistic influence."

Deism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
It means I don't deny that a teacher named Jesus probably walked the earth 2,000 or so years ago, and he preached a message of peace and of love thy neighbor. But I also don't believe he was a deity in flesh.
Jesus said, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." "I and the Father are One."

Was he lying?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Jesus said, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." "I and the Father are One."

Was he lying?
When were His words written down, approximately? Do you know?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
When were His words written down, approximately? Do you know?
It doesn't matter, does it? "All scripture is God breathed". That means, men wrote as the Holy Spirt led them. Luke, an eye witness of Christ and his teaching, recorded the events where Christ spoke those words.

What you are saying is simply this: You don't believe. You don't believe the bible, you don't believe Christ, and you probably don't believe God exists either.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:54 PM

643 posts, read 917,867 times
YES! I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies