U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM

16,433 posts, read 9,290,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

The range of beliefs and the teachings of other religions are not the beauty of the world, and they do not lead to joy and wonder. The beauty and wonder of the world lies in the Creator.
It's a shame you cannot see that, that you cannot acknowledge Him.
The Christian scriptures say a lot of things. I would suggest you direct your attention to Matthew chapter 7:

Matthew 7. The Holy Bible: King James Version
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 PM

9,312 posts, read 5,588,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The Christian scriptures say a lot of things. I would suggest you direct your attention to Matthew chapter 7:

Matthew 7. The Holy Bible: King James Version
nononsenseguy is the kind of Christian who reads the Bible copiously, but truly comprehends very little. Thus, he feels perfectly self-righteous judging the rest of us without the slightest sense of hypocrisy or irony.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,381,795 times
A lot of us Okies were against this chuck of rock being put out on public display on our state capitol lawn. The main reason I was against if was because I know these politicians who were so eager to put this up were not doing for religious reasons. They are pandering to the Religious Reich. I hate to say it, but a lot voters here in Oklahoma will vote for Kim Jong Um over Jesus Christ if he ran as a republican, wrapped himself in the flag and carried a cross. In Oklahoma we have folks that are really a minority who vote this way, but they vote and they vote every time. If they are too sick to drive to the poll they will call and ambulance to take them...LOL But seriously, all the churches have buses and they pick folks on election day. I'm willing to guess 95% of the evangelical population votes.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:19 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,181,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
...the backward fundamentalists in Oklahoma...
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
A lot of us Okies were against this chuck of rock being put out on public display on our state capitol lawn...
I would be the last person to claim that Oklahoma is a pinnacle of progressive thought, but I do feel I should point out that the state is far more diverse than many people think. I am well traveled in other countries and have lived and traversed through the USA in depth, but I have spent more of my life in Oklahoma than anywhere else.

I spent a lot of energy bashing Oklahoma and its residents over the years, but the truth is, there is a great deal of diversity in the people here. Many ethnic backgrounds, diversity of political and religious thought...overall a "red" state, to be sure, but the state's inhabitants regularly vote 30-40% blue, there has long been an active, wide-ranging arts and music scene here (and not just country music by any means) and plenty of folk here are intelligent, thoughtful, forward-thinking and creative.

There are large groups of pagans, wiccans, alternate lifestyles, and one of the largest atheist organizations in the nation is based here.

There is some truth in the "Okie stereotype" and the state has its problems like any other (our idiot legislators being one) but there is a lot more to Oklahoma than bumpkins and fundies.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:22 PM

29,619 posts, read 12,385,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I would be the last person to claim that Oklahoma is a pinnacle of progressive thought, but I do feel I should point out that the state is far more diverse than many people think. I am well traveled in other countries and have lived and traversed through the USA in depth, but I have spent more of my life in Oklahoma than anywhere else.

I spent a lot of energy bashing Oklahoma and its residents over the years, but the truth is, there is a great deal of diversity in the people here. Many ethnic backgrounds, diversity of political and religious thought...overall a "red" state, to be sure, but the state's inhabitants regularly vote 30-40% blue, there has long been an active, wide-ranging arts and music scene here (and not just country music by any means) and plenty of folk here are intelligent, thoughtful, forward-thinking and creative.

There are large groups of pagans, wiccans, alternate lifestyles, and one of the largest atheist organizations in the nation is based here.

There is some truth in the "Okie stereotype" and the state has its problems like any other (our idiot legislators being one) but there is a lot more to Oklahoma than bumpkins and fundies.
Oklahoma is not diverse.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,532,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
A hindu group has plans to put a statue of one of their gods on the grounds now too. The local news ancors claim it is unlikely since displays have to have a link with Oklahoma history. Not what I understand. Wonder how they get past this one.

Just imagine the bible thumpers starting a collection of monuments to world religion.
Oooh, I hope it's Ganesh, the Destroyer of Obstacles, with the little rat at his feet.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,609,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You mean a monument to Satan or one to the Ten Commandments, or both of them?
To satanism.
But 9 out of 10 can't get it through their thick skulls that satanism and devil worship are two different things.
That's like saying mormons and muslims are the same.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 10 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,706,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Every one of nonenseneguy's responses in this thread is sanctimonious, arrogant, presumptuous and ignorant. He has decided that he, and he alone, knows "the truth" and the rest of us are going to burn in hell if we don't agree with him.

And unfortunately, he is a good representation of the fundamentalist Christians (please note, I do not include all Christians or people of religion, just the fundies like nononsenseguy) not only on this board, but in this country. They cannot be allowed to turn the United States into a theocracy that tolerates nothing outside of their narrow little world view.

I would like it to begin with removing these religious monuments from property that belongs to all citizens. But failing that, then I hope every religion, large and small, demands equal right to put up their own monuments. If the backward fundamentalists in Oklahoma want religion on their government property, let's give it to them, in every flavor and creed. Clutter up their capital grounds with a religious monument to every religion known to man. Now THAT I could support.
I've come to the conclusion that as we live each life, returning with the lessons learned in the next, that the really sure fundamentalists are living their early lives, with little touch with others view of the world, and if you wait a few rebirths, they can learn and start to see that there are many ways to see the same reality.

Given that the grounds are not that large, I wonder if they should be grouped into similar beliefs and mounted on like a checkerboard so they all fit.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,017,686 times
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that as we live each life, returning with the lessons learned in the next, that the really sure fundamentalists are living their early lives, with little touch with others view of the world, and if you wait a few rebirths, they can learn and start to see that there are many ways to see the same reality.

Given that the grounds are not that large, I wonder if they should be grouped into similar beliefs and mounted on like a checkerboard so they all fit.
I am much more inclined to believe that fundamentalists lack the necessary intellect to understand interconnections that extend beyond a simple A+B=C dynamic. Throw one more variable into that equation, and the average fundamentalist can not, for the life of them, integrate it in a meaningful way. Rather, it is to be ignored by pretending that it doesn't exist.

Alas, perhaps that is exactly what it's like to be living one's "early life."

Old 12-14-2013, 09:06 AM

9,312 posts, read 5,588,585 times
Quote:
Agreed, it's the young souls who become completely fixated on the human-invented dogma of religion to the exclusion of any and all other possibilities. Such a dogma promotes the belief of separateness, rather than of how we are all connected, and that the uplifting of one is the same as the uplifting of all. Such strict adherence to dogma turns religion into a weapon rather than an instrument of peace and love.

Thank you for the reminder. It's sometimes hard to remember when so many of the youngsters are in positions of creating the laws in this reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies