Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times

Advertisements

Lot's of people don't want to sit behind a desk, it's no big deal. Ditto about welders, the one I know does extremely well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
I worked in the trades for over 25 yrs. Until they were overrun by Illegals. It was considered acceptable because they were doing the work Americans didn't want to do anymore. When government officials look the other way only bad stuff happens.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There was a time in this country when working people were respected, people who were satisfied to work a blue collar job their entire career.

We went to a movie last night called "Out of the Furnace" Part of the movie description said "a man with a dead end job". Why? Because he wore a hard hat everyday and sweated for 8 hours a day? Why is that something to be looked down on?

I've been a blue collar worker my whole life, I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know what I look down on? A man who has not the first clue how to fix his plumbing or wire something properly or build a structure with square corners. Just because you sit in a cubicle typing on a computer all day doesn't make you better than me.

Look at the way people on this forum rip on working people every day, they don't even want the lowest people on the rung, people who are at least willing to do a job-to have a decent wage.

You will be judged someday on how you treat the least of your brothers. Have you ever heard the bible phrase "If not for the grace of God, there go I"?

Your thread title is very misleading. I thought I was going to encounter a post about the general worth of all work, and instead found that you're conflating the worth of blue-collar jobs with the topic of what you refer to as the lowest people on the rung having a "decent wage." I'd suggest to you that this country is full of businesses with a history of allowing employees, including high-school kids looking for pocket money, to earn that low wage initially, then move up (or out).

It's also worth noting that, while you carp about perceived dismissal of blue-collar, trade-related jobs, you then go on to denigrate the jobs of people who may not have the same skills that you have.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I worked in the trades for over 25 yrs. Until they were overrun by Illegals. It was considered acceptable because they were doing the work Americans didn't want to do anymore. When government officials look the other way only bad stuff happens.

I loved the freedom and satisfaction, along with a decent living wage. I loved what I did and I was good at what I did, but when price becomes the bottom line, there is no way to compete with illegals and stay in business, unless it is you that is working on volume and you are the one hiring the illegals to do the work as subcontractors, while you run around and chase down jobs and put out fires.

It all started going down hill quick in the mid-late 90's, 10 years after Reagan's great green card move.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
I don't look down on people who work with their hands but if you support Obama that's a different story. I look down on Obama supporters.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There was a time in this country when working people were respected, people who were satisfied to work a blue collar job their entire career.

We went to a movie last night called "Out of the Furnace" Part of the movie description said "a man with a dead end job". Why? Because he wore a hard hat everyday and sweated for 8 hours a day? Why is that something to be looked down on?

I've been a blue collar worker my whole life, I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know what I look down on? A man who has not the first clue how to fix his plumbing or wire something properly or build a structure with square corners. Just because you sit in a cubicle typing on a computer all day doesn't make you better than me.

Look at the way people on this forum rip on working people every day, they don't even want the lowest people on the rung, people who are at least willing to do a job-to have a decent wage.

You will be judged someday on how you treat the least of your brothers. Have you ever heard the bible phrase "If not for the grace of God, there go I"?
Why does a movie synopsis have so much importance to you?

A dead end job is a job with no prospects of advancement. White collar workers and executives have dead end jobs, as do scientists and other highly trained professionals. It not a blue collar only thing at all.

In fact, skilled blue collar workers are now in high demand in many areas throughout the country, especially in production and factory work, and career advancement in blue collar jobs is now greater than in white-collar jobs.

This fact has not been ignored by colleges all over the nation. Many are offering degrees and courses in what are traditionally blue collar trades now, and engineering courses have changed; an engineer now has to learn to make what he designs in college workshops.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I for one have never thought that way. A person that has a skill, a true learned skill that can create something, keep somthing running etc is a person that works for himself.. not just a number in some corporation's cube farm pushing papers around.
I am what used to be called a draftsmen, at the time it was a learned trade. And was closer to bluecollar than an office job. Now with everything done on computers and many of us doing the combined task of design/engineering it has leaned more towards the cube farm office style. I don't mind what I do, and get paid pretty well (especially for not being degree'd) for it but it is not the same profession it used to be. It used to be fun, and enjoyable. Not so much anymore. Sometimes I look back and wish I would have learned a real trade... welding , fabrication, electrician, plumber etc. Many people would be surprised at how lucrative a journeyman in either of these trades actually is.
A good electrician or plumber or even a good mechanic is more valuable than 99% of the attorneys out there.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
A good electrician or plumber or even a good mechanic is more valuable than 99% of the attorneys out there.
A good welfare recipient is more valuable than 99% of the attorneys out there..

Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
A good welfare recipient is more valuable than 99% of the attorneys out there..
Touché

Old 12-10-2013, 07:39 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Give me honest work outdoors over planting my ass in an office chair any day....In any case why do you care what people think...What you think of yourself and what you enjoy doing is what counts.
I couldn't agree more... I work with my hands every day, and deal with "office" people too, the environment in
these places is disturbing! It's very quiet, people sitting in cubes not making any noise, afraid of the PC
police! It's laughable..
Looked down on, I don't think so, as most of the folks I deal with from offices I pull rank and tell THEM what
the deal is...
If they wanna talk behind my back; that's fine with me....As i could give 2 shiits..

The office culture i deal with (mostly smaller companies is pathetic) Getting calls about 1 person in an 100
person company that their COLD..when the temp is 72 degrees in their space..I could go on but won't..

I had a guy in the summer, when the temp was almost 100 degrees bitching he was cold in his office (the
temp in his office was 70 as we have radar thermometers that don't lie. This guy had a winter coat on to
boot and a space heater going..give me a break..

I'll take the outdoors all day long and work with my hands, and yes I did work in an office environment when
i was young learning TQM and such..

But love the cold and the heat...love work in general and working construction gives one some freedom..and
no disrespect to others who work in an office, but there can be some fruit cakes there..and i have to deal with em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies