U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM

38,008 posts, read 18,971,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Look at the way people on this forum rip on working people every day, they don't even want the lowest people on the rung, people who are at least willing to do a job-to have a decent wage.
I don't look down on blue collar workers in fact that's where I come from. Alot of successful people did. But don't fault them for following their dream of entrepuneualship and becoming successful. It doesn't mean they can buy yachts and planes as Obama would have you believe. In fact they work as hard as you. But remember this below?

"You didn't build that", tax the rich. Lying to give you the impression that people making good money must have inherited it. Obama's Propaganda, attacks against people who worked their way up.

If you dish it out and support divisive politics don't whine when the disrespect comes flying back at you.

Last edited by petch751; 12-07-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,274,423 times
If you're employed or own your own business which provides you with income, regardless of what you do, be it "blue collar" or "white collar" or any other "collar", you have my respect and shold have the respect of all. In this day and age when we have so many people who don't feel the "need" to work and yet feel "others"(read that as taxpapers) need to support them.....there is no question that if you expend any effort at supporting yourself, regardless of what endeavor it is, you have my respect.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I love the argument "get some skills then"
So if you haven't found the answer and you loath the comment "get some skills" what is your answer? Complaining and expecting government to legislate prosperity won't happen.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
There was a time in this country when working people were respected, people who were satisfied to work a blue collar job their entire career.

We went to a movie last night called "Out of the Furnace" Part of the movie description said "a man with a dead end job". Why? Because he wore a hard hat everyday and sweated for 8 hours a day? Why is that something to be looked down on?

I've been a blue collar worker my whole life, I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know what I look down on? A man who has not the first clue how to fix his plumbing or wire something properly or build a structure with square corners. Just because you sit in a cubicle typing on a computer all day doesn't make you better than me.

Look at the way people on this forum rip on working people every day, they don't even want the lowest people on the rung, people who are at least willing to do a job-to have a decent wage.

You will be judged someday on how you treat the least of your brothers. Have you ever heard the bible phrase "If not for the grace of God, there go I"?
Actually I think we have turned the other way: we do not, as a whole judge people by their profession the way we used to. The difference is more people are attending college and have white collar jobs. it used to be most people were blue collar workers. But the white collar workers did look down on them.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:14 AM

15,913 posts, read 12,471,645 times
I Don't really get the feeling of being looked down on, but some people do resent paying a non qualified worker more money than they themselves earn.

I'm self-employed in the building/construction industry, and sometimes get the clear feeling from customers, that "something is not right" because they earn less than me, despite their various degrees/qualifications etc. I usually just give a smug chuckle and say the old supply and demand line.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,175,803 times
Well most of my clients look up to me and recommend me to others and I make a good living as a Carpenter.Others not so much.Even chicks at the bar when they find out what I do,oh well to bad for them.I love my trade and would do it over again.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 AM

12,172 posts, read 6,706,387 times
Quote:
There was a time in this country when working people were respected, people who were satisfied to work a blue collar job their entire career.

We went to a movie last night called "Out of the Furnace" Part of the movie description said "a man with a dead end job". Why? Because he wore a hard hat everyday and sweated for 8 hours a day? Why is that something to be looked down on?

I've been a blue collar worker my whole life, I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know what I look down on? A man who has not the first clue how to fix his plumbing or wire something properly or build a structure with square corners. Just because you sit in a cubicle typing on a computer all day doesn't make you better than me.

You will be judged someday on how you treat the least of your brothers. Have you ever heard the bible phrase "If not for the grace of God, there go I"?
The liberal leadership has assured us that those are jobs "Americans won't do" and subsequently insourced millions of unskilled Mexicans to ensure that we are all fed and the trash is picked up. In California we are assured that without illegals nobody would build our homes or serve our food or paint our homes and mow the lawn.

I don't look down on those professions but just assumed if we have to import 20 million illiterate, unskilled illegals that they can't be worth much.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,382,999 times
I found that walking around in my "blue collar" work clothes. Salespeople don't bother me. I have worked with my hands all my life. I don't need nobody to give me self worth. I love doing what I do and support my family. Put both my kids through college and my wife was a stay at home mom for my kids. I so far have had a blessed life. I was in construction most my life which was very self fulfilling. Now I am doing a perceived "lower" rung job. Cleaning commercial kitchens, yet I am having the time of my life. Life is good.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:55 AM

My brother needed some help with his computer. When he said "I'm stupid" because I don't understand computers. I said to him, "if my car breaks down I wouldn't know the first thing to do, I guess that makes me stupid". He got my point. People have skills that others don't. If we don't have the skill or the time we pay others to perform those skills for us. The competition helps determine the pay for that skill.

So let all those illegal aliens in, increase the competition and decrease what the market will pay.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 AM

6,448 posts, read 2,269,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
NICE job of completely ignoring the FACT the POTUS had little to do with where jobs went, it was the very greedy corporations that would happily sell their country down the river for an increased bottom line.
None of which would be possible without legislating high taxes, stifling regulations, union palm greasing and back room kick back deals brought to you courtesy of "progressive" policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or