Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times

Advertisements

I firmly believe that there was a concerted effort by the wealthy and corporate military-industrial complexes to inject disrespect of blue collar workers into society.

This helps flood the market with white collar jobs which keeps the cost of labor down. Demeaning blue collar workers helps justify taking away their benefits and keeping wages down for them as well. Also it makes it easier to rationale the whole "immigrants are just doing jobs Americans don't want" meme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 09:46 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
I think most reasonable people still respect people that work their hands. It may be a little different for people that think you're entitled to the job of VP as an entry level job.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:24 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why has it become "OK" to look down on a person who works with their hands?
It's not OK. Why do you think it is?

Old 12-08-2013, 06:36 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Another skilled trade worker here. I've been a painting contractor for most of the last 35 years and have provided jobs for many others. I'm good at what I do, and enjoy it.

I really don't get the feeling my clients "look down on me." I've become friends with some. Mostly it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. They are happy that I do a good job for them, I am happy that they pay me for it.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
I don't think people look down on them. Skilled labor is a great thing, especially in this market. Companies don't need another middle manger with a business degree these days, but I need someone to fix my chimney.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,144,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
programming. last 50 years boomers programmed their kids to believe that their grandfathers did dirty work and that post boomer kids were destined to be managers every one. of course boomes did not mention that america does not need 20 million more managers.
I agree especially before the the housing bubble crash kids had been conditioned to believe if they didn't get a college degree then they were a loser according to society. Blue collar jobs are looked upon as dirty and un glamorous. Blue collar jobs were looked at as a last resort job very easy to obtain in case all other opportunities failed. Now since globalization and de-industrialization has eroded the job market and wages in the USA i don't see blue collar jobs that earns a decent living being looked down upon in general by society.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I think people look down at the unskilled workers like Walmart clerks or burger flippers. Not so much the skilled workers who do physical work.

Of course not everyone is capable of getting a STEM degree or working a skilled trade. We need people to flip burgers and stock the shelves at Wal Mart.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You can not move up simply by being good at your job.
You couldn't be more wrong. For 35 years my husband (who only has a high school degree) has worked in the oil and gas industry. He's worked his way from the very bottom up to the upper levels, has worked in 49 states and six different countries. And every step of the way he has promoted and helped those who were good at their job. Degree or no degree. Many of the superintendents who work in our industry have no degrees but instead know more about the industry than those that have degree's. There's a lot to be said for experience and hard work....

Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
This country is becoming like Saudi Arabia in regards to lower-level/ucky work. The perfumed elite love to talk-up college, especially worthless college........and the sheeple eat it up like a fly on ****. And the Welfaroes, many of the blue collar jobs are WAY beneath them........so bring in the hoards of meee-grahn-tays, they will do it!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't know anyone who looks down on this. The movie description in the OP was referring to a specific character and how he viewed his job. It was a dead end to him since he was obviously unhappy doing it. Right?

My HVAC guy is my hero btw. And throughout my long marriage I always said that in my next life I was marrying a tradesman. My H is an amazingly well paid businessman who couldn't plug in a toaster so the bulk of home maintenance fell upon me. And my secret dream was to be a smithy of some sort, I just never devoted the time to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies