Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

There was a time in this country when working people were respected, people who were satisfied to work a blue collar job their entire career.

We went to a movie last night called "Out of the Furnace" Part of the movie description said "a man with a dead end job". Why? Because he wore a hard hat everyday and sweated for 8 hours a day? Why is that something to be looked down on?

I've been a blue collar worker my whole life, I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know what I look down on? A man who has not the first clue how to fix his plumbing or wire something properly or build a structure with square corners. Just because you sit in a cubicle typing on a computer all day doesn't make you better than me.

Look at the way people on this forum rip on working people every day, they don't even want the lowest people on the rung, people who are at least willing to do a job-to have a decent wage.

You will be judged someday on how you treat the least of your brothers. Have you ever heard the bible phrase "If not for the grace of God, there go I"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
It is not O. K. I was taught that any honest work should be respected. Only a skewed sense of values would think like that and think it is O. K. to think like that. Bet you will never have to go on food stamps like the lazy good-for-nothings.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:26 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is not O. K. I was taught that any honest work should be respected. Only a skewed sense of values would think like that and think it is O. K. to think like that. Bet you will never have to go on food stamps like the lazy good-for-nothings.
They think it's OK for their employees to work 40 hours a week for them, and then have to get assistance from the government so they can feed and clothe their children. And then they drive home in their Cadillac Escalade without a worry in the world. And they call themselves "conservatives"

I love the argument "get some skills then"

If they are so damned opinionated on that, why do they hire people over the age of 21 for these FF jobs then? I mean if they think people should be out getting skills, why don't they tell them that in the interview and just hire teenagers?

Because they can depend on adults to show up to work, do the job right and line their pockets with more money, that's why.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Give me honest work outdoors over planting my ass in an office chair any day....In any case why do you care what people think...What you think of yourself and what you enjoy doing is what counts.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There was a time in this country when working people were respected, people who were satisfied to work a blue collar job their entire career.

We went to a movie last night called "Out of the Furnace" Part of the movie description said "a man with a dead end job". Why? Because he wore a hard hat everyday and sweated for 8 hours a day? Why is that something to be looked down on?

I've been a blue collar worker my whole life, I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know what I look down on? A man who has not the first clue how to fix his plumbing or wire something properly or build a structure with square corners. Just because you sit in a cubicle typing on a computer all day doesn't make you better than me.

Look at the way people on this forum rip on working people every day, they don't even want the lowest people on the rung, people who are at least willing to do a job-to have a decent wage.

You will be judged someday on how you treat the least of your brothers. Have you ever heard the bible phrase "If not for the grace of God, there go I"?
I think it started when the liberals decided they could all be easily replaced with third world illegal immigrants.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:30 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
I look up to plumbers, carpenters, etc. Those are skills!!!! Mad skillz!!!!

And welders? They're like magicians to me.

The problem I have with my blue-collar job is that it gives me absolutely no marketable skills. Yep, it's entirely my fault for staying there.

I'm a letter carrier and it is like a deal with the devil. I tried becoming a supervisor, but to do that you have to check your conscience at the door.

People on the street sweet-talk you and say you have a wonderful job, but the subtext (to me anyway) is always "Be happy, you're probably too dumb to do anything else, or you wouldn't be there in the first place"

Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I look up to plumbers, carpenters, etc. Those are skills!!!! Mad skillz!!!!

The problem I have with my blue-collar job is that it gives me absolutely no marketable skills. Yep, it's entirely my fault for staying there.

I'm a letter carrier and it is like a deal with the devil. I tried becoming a supervisor, but to do that you have to check your conscience at the door.

People on the street sweet-talk you and say you have a wonderful job, but the subtext (to me anyway) is always "Be happy, you're probably too dumb to do anything else, or you wouldn't be there in the first place"
In this economy ~ I doubt that is what they are thinking at all. When the dot.com boom was at it's highest point ~ maybe.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
I'm pretty sure a plumber with his own business can make 6 figures. Ditto electricians.

Welders make a fortune too.

But none of that involves sitting on the couch and collecting welfare which is a leech's dream.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

You went to a movie ;so you got on a rant today ;in fact saying you look down on some others; who have other skills. Just as bad and I admire people who have many skills.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It was the very liberal Bill Clinton who sent their jobs out of the country and also opened up the borders so that much cheaper foreign labor could replace these Americans in the workforce.

There was a time when working with your hands could put you in the middle class, let you buy your own home, even put your kids through college.

Now it's the very liberal Obama who expanded NAFTA so that cheap foreign truckdrivers can put American drivers out of work and wants to add 11 to 30 million cheap foreign workers to the legal labor force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies