U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,064,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Somalia is letting adults be adults, and the bodies are piling up fast.
Drugs are the least of Somalia's problems, and in any case have little to do with their current situation. If you want to see a big-time drug problem go to Mexico, the United States, or Colombia; all three countries follow the Drug War path, which you support. As for letting adults be adults, adult behavior would be refraining from initiating violence against a fellow human being, and condemning such acts when they encounter them. Unfortunately you and other Drug War supporters have failed this fundamental test of civilized behavior.

Quote:
When Miami was like the wild west in the 1980s, the law abiding citizens were begging for the issue to be resolved, and eventually it was when Reagan sent down the FBI and other agencies to fight the "adults being adults" criminals. The "adults being adults" were making the place unlivable for normal people.
That's quite amusing, considering the 1980's, the period of time in which you claim "they let adults be adults", was well after drugs were criminalized, the War on Drugs was launched, and consequently drugs were driven to the black market and into the waiting hands of organized crime. Gee, I guess treating adults like children was making the place unlivable for normal people.

Quote:
Ah, so it is better to wait until they kill people as opposed to trying to prevent it. Interesting.
Self-defense is a human right, but there must be an actual threat of harm before one may act in this way. Like it or not the fact is someone consuming or selling drugs is not killing anyone, and most drug users are not murderers, and the remainder who are would be less likely to commit murder if they could obtain drugs through legitimate channels. Punish harming others, not consuming or selling drugs; the former is a crime, and criminalizing the latter is a crime in and of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
Yes, because we all know that people only kill and hurt others while on drugs, right? That argument holds no water, as it will happen regardless and there are laws for it.
Indeed, and as you have stated it would be a better use of law enforcement resources to punish harming others rather than trying to mold people into good citizens through force.

Quote:
Come on, dragging out the old Somalia card? It is not valid.
It is pathetic, considering that there are other war-torn failed states that have far more of a drug problem than Somalia does. Legalizing drugs has nothing to do with any of these places' problems, but even Afghanistan would have been a better example than Somalia; at least there opium is one of their biggest industries. But I suppose the Drug Warriors and related species are drawn to the "Somalia is libertarian paradise" meme like a dog is drawn to a bone - they just can't let go of it, no matter how old, tired, and unpersuasive the display is to other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM

24,956 posts, read 11,638,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Marijuana does not make you lazy. At least not me.

I enjoy relaxing and using the stuff but I also work like crazy. At the beginning of last week I was working 2 jobs and 2 projects. Two of them being my own and one I contracted out with a consulting firm.

I don't have a drug policy for my employees but if you show up to work high, late, hungover, whatever you'll get sent home and reprimanded. If you can't perform your job you won't be around long anyway.

Guess its different strokes for different folks. Never tried any of the hard stuff or ecstacy, pills, etc. Just use the green stuff to relax and help me deal with these crazy mfers out here!
It varies. I have one friend that loves his pot, and still functions extremely well, but I have 4-5 that just....lost their drive. I suspect its a genetic thing.

as an employer, I think it depends on what you do, if mine were driving vehicles I'd have a drug policy, if they're writing code then it all falls under job performance, and I wouldn't bother.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:04 PM

58,520 posts, read 31,909,570 times
Quote:
Yes, because we all know that people only kill and hurt others while on drugs, right? That argument holds no water, as it will happen regardless and there are laws for it.
No, the Miami drug cartels didn't kill people because they were on drugs. Where did you get that? The use of drugs is only a part of the problem. The problem exists on many levels.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM

58,520 posts, read 31,909,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That's quite amusing, considering the 1980's, the period of time in which you claim "they let adults be adults", was well after drugs were criminalized, the War on Drugs was launched, and consequently drugs were driven to the black market and into the waiting hands of organized crime. Gee, I guess treating adults like children was making the place unlivable for normal people.
The drugs, and lack of law enforcement brought the organized crime to Miami, and law enforcement got it under control. Any other questions?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,705,424 times
Quote:
The drugs, and lack of law enforcement brought the organized crime to Miami, and law enforcement got it under control. Any other questions?

they got tons of drugs in Florida.. control ya right.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 PM

13,080 posts, read 12,489,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
We should build more prisons, pay more for tips, increase surveillance, giver harsher sentences.
The fact is, there are still too many dealers, underage users, adult users, and gangs.

Maybe even get the NSA involved, and bring back the troops for this too.

If we make the police force large enough, maybe we can even make alcohol illegal again once more.
Then you should just go get your anus examined for drugs. How about a colonoscopy to make sure a through job is done? In other words, what you advocate would mean yet more innocent people would have to suffer on the way to finding the guilty of drugs.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 PM

13,080 posts, read 12,489,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Lot's of people mention prison overcrowding. The solution is to build large outdoor tent prison camps to house all the druggies. I'm talking hard drugs only including meth. The more drug addicts we put in prison the nicer our communities will become.
Sounds like it would be easy to throw drugs over the prison fence at night.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 PM

9,970 posts, read 8,463,156 times
No. They were fought over the sale of the cocaine. Legalize it, and all that violence goes away, along with the profits, and the influence of the drug gangs.

Quote:
Miami drug wars were fought over those few innocent lines pf cocaine. Thousands of people were murdered.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 PM

792 posts, read 495,946 times

NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO - YouTube

Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,595,241 times
The "war on drugs" was never a war that was designed to be won. It is a war to pick winners and losers. The time has come to either go big or stay at home. Either an all out assault or legalization. I don't care which, but the time for a half Azzed approach is long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies