Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 04:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think the OP is trolling (very successfully, BTW. Well done), but I'll answer the question.

I've come to the conclusion that the illicit drug business is more of a threat to the country, than illicit drug use, and that no amount of effort to interdict the drug supply will ever be able to prevent a reliable supply of drugs from reaching the customer base for these drugs in this country. So I would legalize the sale and possession of pretty much all drugs that are now either actively banned, or highly controlled. This means all opiates, cocaine, methamphetamine, MDNA and the other "designer' drugs, and, of course Pot.

However, sales would be heavily regulated. One of the main goals of the distribution system would be to entirely co-opt the illegal supply network, while creating as little new demand as possible. No advertising or promotion would be allowed. retail network would be set up that would create storefront distribution centers. These would be located so that the vast majority of people would have one convenient to them. A central registry would be set up, so users could easily find these centers, but that would be the only kind of public exposure they could have. Prices would be regulated, and keep very low (in comparison to the current prices charged by the illicit drug dealers.) This might be on the order of 1/200th or less of the current price structure, whatever would be necessary to put the current system out of business. Since the legal centers would not have any risk premium in selling the drugs, they would need much less of a markup to be profitable.

There would also be non-judicial penalties put in place to discourage drug use. Anyone getting any payments and/or services from government programs (including such programs as Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid) would be subject random drug testing, and would have any participation ended for a failed test. The same for any government workers, or workers of government contractors. And prohibition in place against private parties (including but not limited to employers) requiring drug testing for employment or participation would be eliminated. The idea being that the users can use, and not be arrested for such, but as much as the drug use itself would make their lives hard, the sanctions would make it harder.
When life has no value, it is not possible to undercut the black market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Somalia is letting adults be adults, and the bodies are piling up fast.

It has nothing to do with morals, it is a public safety and national security issue. When Miami was like the wild west in the 1980s, the law abiding citizens were begging for the issue to be resolved, and eventually it was when Reagan sent down the FBI and other agencies to fight the "adults being adults" criminals. The "adults being adults" were making the place unlivable for normal people.
So many here seem to have an almost childlike perception that substance abuse has no impact on anyone else, let alone the society at large.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The cost to manufacture any of the normal illicit drugs is quite cheap. All the markup is in the risk premium to smuggle them in and around the country, and trying to retail a banned commodity. If they were legalized the could be sold at a price so low that there'd be no profit for the cartels to try to smuggle them in illicitly any more. And any companies that want to sell them would have to be licensed. That process would weed out anyone involved in the illicit trade.
I am talking about hard drugs, opioids*, opiates, cocaine and meth.
You want quality control, strict licensing and supervision- overhead that the current situation does not contain. No way you are going to undercut the Cartels and gangs who value nothing beyond the $. Bad batch of heroin? No problem. stick a different stamp on the bags and move it.

* Pain pill addiction is an epidemic in the U.S. Quality control, licensing and supervision are all present. Instead of gangs, Mds are the dealers. Chronic back pain? No problem. Here's your script and sign off on your SSDI challenge. Not all states have a prescription monitoring database so doctor dealer shopping is rampant.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
So many here seem to have an almost childlike perception that substance abuse has no impact on anyone else, let alone the society at large.
I know. They keep repeating that drugs are just harmless plants, which never hurt anyone.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes it's a hoot.

I guess to prohibitionists there is no such thing as MODERATION!

Again, we need more officers like you! I'll bet you do take a lot of s*** from your colleagues when this discussion comes up.
I do take a lot of crap from mostly the older police officers in their 50's. They always bring up the old arguments that are filled with propaganda. It's a gateway drug! It will be chaos! Etc. the argument always ends with me destroying their Prohibitionist propaganda and them calling me a 'pothead'! Lol! When the name calling starts flying its clear they have lost the argument.

Last edited by westcoastforme; 12-12-2013 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
False. According to The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) there are 7.6 million daily users, and that's a 2.5%.
It's estimated that there are 30-40 million REGULAR users, not DAILY users.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Those nations with the least drug problems, have no tolerance and impose the strongest consequences. Public hanging serves as incentive for the masses to avoid drugs and people who buy or sell them. Nations that choose to impose the harshest consequences, do not spend a lot of money on police, court systems or prisons.
Are you saying we should give the death penalty to drug users?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
I know. They keep repeating that drugs are just harmless plants, which never hurt anyone.

don't lump cannabis with the other hard drugs!!! you seem to be good at that...

you cant compare weed to hard alcohol

you cant compare weed to heroin

you cant compare weed the opiate prescription pain killers

you cant weed to compare to meth

you cant compare weed to crack

you cant compare weed to cocaine

you cant compare weed to crocodile

you cant compare weed to hard drugs period!!!

if any drug should be compared to hard drugs is that legal concoction hard alcohol..

a person can overdose on all the drugs I listed and many more to numerous to mention, but not one person has been documented from overdosing on weed alone...

Old 12-12-2013, 06:25 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
If ramping up the drug war means putting more liberals in prison, let's do it.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Are you saying we should give the death penalty to drug users?

surly looks like it.. headlines in the new York times>>> 22 year old being hanged for possession of two grams of pot!!! service will be held at times square at 12: noon..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies