Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 10:02 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So in response to being held to anti-discrimination laws, you'd commit a felony.

Seems smart to me.
Almost as smart as wanting someone to bake you a cake that admits to not liking you and has refused to do so.
Would you insist upon eating at my house if you knew I didn't like you?
I would never eat where I am not wanted.
I might understand such a ruling if this were a unique business that offered life saving services. Bakeries are a dime a dozen. As far as I am concerned this entire case was a gross waste of tax payer money and time. There is a reason the USA is known to be the most litigious country on earth. This case is an example of such.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You are correct, freedom from religion is irrelevant because the government is not imposing a religion on you; the constitution protects you against government action. As such, the constitution protects the sole proprietor against being forced to serve a person who does not adhere to his or her religions views. Thus, the first amendment does, in fact, trump any state law in this regard. And I do think it is telling that a sole proprietor is being attacked (if that is in fact the case) because a sole propriety business would have a more centralized religious belief than, say, a couple hundred shareholders, of which one could not dissipher a cognizant religious goal.

You are doing what most armed with facts and knowledge end up doing - pounding your head against a wall. You can lay our facts but liberal PC emotions run wild. If you could speak with them they would eventually start shouting in a shrill voice.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The Constitution, not local jurisdiction statutes.
Sounds like something extracted from someone's rectum to me. All you guys claim this, yet no one who is versed in law and is tasked with deciding these matters agrees with you.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am far from being anti-gay, but if I was ordered to make that cake there would be a few lungers in it by the time I was finished.
Not all that far, it seems.

Quote:
What moron would want a cake made by someone who was forced to make it for them?
Why would I know or even care what some guy in a bakery feels? You sell cakes? Good, I need a cake. Here's some money for the cake. Now give me my cake.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Isn't it a hoot? This is why nobody takes Christianity seriously.
The liberal left loves to draw attention to fluff, make a big story out of it, bring the law in to force someone to do what they don't want to by taking them to court.

Why don't you idiots go after BENGHAZI instead?

I doesn't fit the left's narrative. Insanity does fall into that category.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I don't care where you stand on gay rights. This is absolutely ridiculous and just flat out wrong. The business owner's rights are now being violated in the name of PC.

Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay couples - seattlepi.com

Okay, it is your belief that. . lets say a old-style mormon who thinks black people are a curse. . .

or a white supremicist, who thinks (religiously) God has cast out the people of other races

these people, because it is a RELIGIOUS belief, should be free to discriminate against others?

Or - are you saying - its wrong because unlike the Baptists who may hate Catholics, or the Mormons who may hate blacks . . .its a belief you share with these bakers

and so, that makes it different?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 6,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Dear Abby. Please try to find an 'information' source that doesn't require wiping it with toilet paper after pulling it put.
Child of lesbian couple speaks out against gay marriage | Denny Burk

How different are the adult children of parents who have same-sex relationships? Findings from the New Family Structures Study

CDC ? Fact Sheet - Gay and Bisexual Men ? Gender ? Risk ? HIV/AIDS

Gay and Depressed | Advocate.com

CDC - Substance Abuse - Gay and Bisexual Men's Health

The drug epidemic that is hitting gay men hard | Gay Star News

If CDC and gay-advocate sites can't meet your no-doubt exacting criteria, then I'm stumped. Gay folks aren't model citizens, and they aren't "just like us". Many of them are dangerous, self I destructive narcissists. I still support their freedoms, but I don't have to like them, and I don't think I should have to associate with people I dislike.

I was personally fired from a job for refusing the advances of my gay boss, a week before my wedding, and he tried to convince my mother-in-law to call it off. Why? He thought I was gay. His reasoning? I was thin, well-dressed, and liked art, not sports. If it had been anyone but my mother-in-law, I'd have thought they were joking, but it seems even gay men think gay men are stereotypes.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its based on thie regilous belief and like some do not serve or cook pork its none of governments business. Its just less freedom of religion;plian and simple.Needs to be challenged in federal court.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Good idea. Go for it.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DearAbby View Post
Gay folks aren't model citizens, and they aren't "just like us". Many of them are dangerous, self I (sic) destructive narcissists.
"Gay folks" are people, just like every one else. And when people grow up dealing with extreme prejudice, bullying, violence, being disowned or abused by their parents, homelessness, and other soul-crushing events and situations, it can and often does lead to dangerous and self-destructive behavior.

Now imagine instead if all homosexuals grew up in loving and supportive environments, were told that there was nothing wrong with them and were accepted for who they were, were loved unconditionally by their parents and not forced to live on the streets. I would bet you my life the number of them that end up behaving in the way you describe would be substantially lower.

People really need to stop taking everything they see around them at face value; as unalterable absolutes. There are so many branches and cross-links in the causal chains leading up to various events and outcomes, especially when it comes to human neurology and psychology, that I don't think we can even begin to imagine the complexities involved.

This kind of gross oversimplification is both childish and incredibly insulting to the people being discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies