U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 PM

1,531 posts, read 970,720 times

Advertisements

man, i don't know....but if i went to a bakery to have a cake made and they refused to make my cake, for whatever reason, i sure as hell would not try to find a way to force them to make it for me...never f' with the folks preparing your food...'waiting' 101!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 PM

724 posts, read 527,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
man, i don't know....but if i went to a bakery to have a cake made and they refused to make my cake, for whatever reason, i sure as hell would not try to find a way to force them to make it for me...never f' with the folks preparing your food...'waiting' 101!
Yeah but if you allow it for them, you allow it for the people selling you food too, whether or not they're the only grocery store for 100 miles. I definitely wouldn't go to the bakery after winning the case, but the case itself is important.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 PM

1,697 posts, read 1,031,249 times
Let them eat cake!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:19 PM

29,926 posts, read 34,535,636 times
Just make them a really crappy cake.

Or Put a little pot in it and charge extra. After all it is Colorado.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:19 PM

29,597 posts, read 31,914,576 times
Things like this annoy me because it on hinges on "when he found out the couple was gay he...."...could have come up with any number of reasons to not take on the business but came right out and said it's because they are gay. Or he could have made the cake with the knowledge he was just MAKING A CAKE, not giving a blessing to everyone he makes a cake for (and wouldn't THAT info rile up some religious folks!!!). He TURNED it into a religious issue because he wanted to, right? The whole idea of him not being able to support his family because he can't make cakes because he can't go against his religion is kind of silly and self imposed.

It's the smell of someone with very little self confidence and a need for attention and validation.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM

12,172 posts, read 6,700,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
His religious beliefs forbid him to bake cakes for gay people? What kind of stupid belief system is that?

Should be allowed to refuse service to black people too? What if he were a doctor? Should he be allowed to refuse to treat gay people?

We'll never outlaw bigotry, but we CAN outlaw discrimination disguised as "freedom of religion".
What if your religion is "liberalism" and somebody decides to outlaw your freedom...

Old 12-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What if your religion is "liberalism" and somebody decides to outlaw your freedom...
Liberalism is a political belief, which is not covered under anti-discrimination law.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 PM

982 posts, read 2,144,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
The bakery owners broke the law, plain and simple. Allowing that sets a very dangerous precedent.

Lots of laws are broken without someone feeling they must sue all the time.

I would hardly call this situation "dangerous."

If this is one of the most important things in life in their opinion, for them to file a suit because someone broke the law by not baking them a cake, then they need to grow up and just move on. Good grief.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Lots of laws are broken without someone feeling they must sue all the time.

I would hardly call this situation "dangerous."

If this is one of the most important things in life in their opinion, for them to file a suit because someone broke the law by not baking them a cake, then they need to grow up and just move on. Good grief.
It's not an opinion, it's a denial of service in violation of the law. In the case of a cake, that's not very serious, but in other cases, it can be. Best to set precedent before it gets there.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:36 PM

982 posts, read 2,144,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
It's not an opinion, it's a denial of service in violation of the law. In the case of a cake, that's not very serious, but in other cases, it can be. Best to set precedent before it gets there.

Well, you can sure think what you want and so can everyone else. If one of my gay couple friends or neighbors were suing for this, I would think they were being stupid. It's not worth the money, time, and emotional upset that all people involved are going to go through.

Have you ever been involved in a lawsuit? It can consume your life and make you feel emotionally bankrupt, and even cause physical distress that could lead to something serious. I've seen it happen to people I know.

Besides, some lawyer is gonna make a bunch of money off of them, and the baker man.

What a waste. Save it for an important issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies