Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,355 times

Advertisements

Why I make poor choices, or some of you say.

Rest is a luxury for the rich.

I get up at 6AM, go to school (I have a full courseload, but I only have to go to two in-person classes) then work, then I get the kids, then I pick up my husband, then I have half an hour to change and go to Job 2. I get home from that at around 1230AM, then I have the rest of my classes and work to tend to. I'm in bed by 3. This isn't every day, I have two days off a week from each of my obligations. I use that time to clean the house and soothe Mr. Martini and see the kids for longer than an hour and catch up on schoolwork. Those nights I'm in bed by midnight, but if I go to bed too early I won't be able to stay up the other nights because I'll **** my pattern up, and I drive an hour home from Job 2 so I can't afford to be sleepy. I never get a day off from work unless I am fairly sick. It doesn't leave you much room to think about what you are doing, only to attend to the next thing and the next. Planning isn't in the mix.

Understand that I wrote this as an example of the thought process that we struggle with. Most of us are clinically depressed, and we do not get therapy and medication and support. We get told to get over it. And we find ways to cope. I am not saying that people live without hope entirely; that is not human nature. But these are the thoughts that are never too far away, that creep up on us every chance they get, that prey on our better judgement when we are tired and stressed and weakened. We maintain a constant vigil against these thoughts, because we are afraid that if we speak them aloud or even articulate them in our heads they will become unmanageably real.

Your thoughts and event christian ones?

Why I Make Terrible Decisions, or, poverty thoughts

Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Default "Wide Stance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOBama View Post

Timing could be important... If there is a gay rapist in the mens room, and one is warned of ill intent...by the spirit of God.
In my more than a half century of life I have learned that if there is guy in the men's room looking for sex it's always a Republican politician or Christian minister - and one who is married to a woman and has kids.

Want me to list some of them?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yes it does, and it is much too obvious to deny. So, just disagree and say his religiou beliefs can be dismissed. In other words, be honest.

Some Christians feel very strongly that marriage is a holy union between a man and a woman ONLY ... and that such unions between same sex partners is contrary to their beliefs. So, yes, making a wedding cake for a same sex couple would obviously be at odds with such beliefs. You can certainly disagree with that belief, but you can't say the belief doesn't exist, or does not apply.
Man and woman only? For the 89th time, he made a cake for a DOG WEDDING! Why do you keep ignoring that? That's not at odds with Christian beliefs?
Give me a break!

Last edited by weltschmerz; 12-09-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
are you smart enough to understand the difference between freedom of religion and freedom of worship.

gays are the biggest threat the the first amendment in the history of this country.

If people had any moral fortitude this judge would be shot.
Wow! You really seem to have a thing for murder, violence and death. First the cyanide in the cake and now shooting judges. Nice going.
Love your morals, by the way. We should all strive to emulate you.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 12-09-2013 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In my more than a half century of life I have learned that if there is guy in the men's room looking for sex it's always a Republican politician or Christian minister - and one who is married to a woman and has kids.

Want me to list some of them?

Haggard's Law - RationalWiki

Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Man and woman only? For the 89th time, he made a cake for a DOG WEDDING! Why do you keep ignoring that? That's not at odds with Christian beliefs?
Gove me a break!
Maybe the dog wedding was between two dogs of the same breed.

You know, a male poodle to a female poodle ... or a male schnauzer to a female schnauzer.

I'm sure the baker would have refused to bake a cake for two male dogs getting married ... or an Old English Sheepdog marrying a Yorkshire Terrier. I mean, that would be just plain wrong!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Give me a break!
It is not that they are ignoring it, it is that their perceptions have been altered by their beliefs and prejudices in order to act as a protective mechanism for said views. You must understand, the views these people hold often cause them to live in a state of near-constant terror, rage and agitation. Deep down, they know their world views and belief systems are built on a foundation that is about as strong as wet tissue paper. If our arguments were actually allowed to reach the level of perception, the amount of cognitive dissonance caused by the requirement to actually think about and consider what they have just read and how it differs from and applies to their own beliefs might just give them an instant stroke.

They fail to see or acknowledge our arguments because they quite literally are not capable of handling them, psychologically.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 12-09-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
It is not that they are ignoring it, it is that their perceptions have been altered by their beliefs and prejudices in order to act as a protective mechanism for said views. You must understand, the views these people hold often cause them to live in a state of near-constant terror, rage and agitation. Deep down, they know their world views and belief systems are built on a foundation that is about as strong as wet tissue paper. If our arguments were actually allowed to reach the level of perception, the amount of cognitive dissonance caused by the requirement to actually think about and consider what they have just read and how it differs from and applies to their own beliefs might just give them an instant stroke.

They fail to see or acknowledge our arguments because they quite literally are not capable of handling them, psychologically.
Another leftist proves that's today's liberals are the least tolerant people in history.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Another leftist proves that's today's liberals are the least tolerant people in history.
What does my personal psychological evaluation of people with extreme religious and political views have to do with my level of tolerance for said people? What does "tolerance" mean to you? Do you wish to be able to do and say as you please with no repercussions whatsoever? Do you wish to remain free from any and all criticism of your actions and beliefs, even if those actions and beliefs are used to support discrimination and violence toward your fellow human beings? Does anything less than absolute acceptance of your views and behaviors count as 'intolerance'? What is it you want from us, exactly? To shut up and stand idly by while watching you commit one social injustice after another and never challenge you in any way? Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

Humorously, (or perhaps sadly, I am uncertain which) your very post itself is actually a perfect example of not only the intolerance but the hypocrisy of people with far right-wing and/or extremist religious views. You demand not only the right to be as intolerant as you wish, but you also demand that we accept this implicitly! If we refuse to do so, we are being intolerant! Sorry, but I'm not buying into this, and neither is any other person with an ounce of sense. There are different types and levels of intolerance. Some people's intolerance has the capacity, and sometimes even the intent, of causing real physical, psychological, financial and social harm to innocent people. The type of intolerance I hold is intolerance for such hateful, harmful beliefs. If you don't like that, tough. We are under NO obligation whatsoever to be tolerant of your intolerance. Period.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 12-09-2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOBama View Post
Timing could be important... If there is a gay rapist in the mens room, and one is warned of ill intent...by the spirit of God.

It would be good to have a heads up....

Ask, and it shall be given. Seek, and you shall find, Knock and the door shall be opened.
Are you talking about Larry Craig, the former republican US Senator from Idaho? He was trying to hook up for some man on man sex in the men's room at the Minneapolis airport. Is that what you are talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies