U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 02:59 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,938,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
It's not. As has been stated repeatedly, refusing to make that cake because of the sexual orientation of the customers is a blatant violation of anti-discrimination law, just as it would be to refuse to provide a service for a Jewish wedding. What I mean by harassment is, for example, if the Westboro Baptist Church came into a gay bar with their signs. Requiring a place of public accommodation to provide their services without discriminating based on protected characteristics is not harassment, whether the owners like it or not.
the founders of this country would have tarred and feather that bigoted judge.

all gay anti-discrimination law that force someone to violate their religion are unconstitutional .

I would have no problem if every siingle non Jew refused to help in a Jewish wedding.

The Westboro Baptist Church have never harassed anyone as much as these 2 gays did

watch this video

WestBoro Baptist Church At Bais Hatalmud - YouTube

no go into the school and ask anybody which is bigger harassment the Westboro Baptist Church, or being forced by 2 gay terrorists in to baking a cake for a same gender "wedding"
I guarantee you they will pick the latter

Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM

8,814 posts, read 5,350,735 times
Quote:
Yeah I really don't know why people are so focused on how the cake might be made or how it might taste. This case is pretty clearly to prevent this stuff from happening in the future, hopefully when the discrimination would be much more serious.
Correction ... as you admit ... this isn't about the gay couple getting a cake ... it was about the state forcing a business to comply with the orders from on high. And, the clueless crowd cheers and cheers, oblivious to how they serve as tools for the authoritarian goals of the state that couldn't care less about gay rights ... this is about government dominance and the systematic destruction of liberty.

And nobody wants to adress the dripping irony and hypocrisy of Colorado forcing this business to make a "wedding cake" for a gay couple the state of Colorado has a law againt being married.

We are indeed living in times of madness, where the patients are now in charge of the asylum.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,803,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
What do you think this is about? Americans' right to freely practice their religion is being threatened when they're forced by law to comply with and participate in activities that violate their religious beliefs. Rather than writing laws that allow religious exemptions, Liberals want to force their version of fairness and morality on everyone -- no exceptions.
1. It does restrict people from practicing their religion. Nothing in this ruling comes close to depriving the baker from going to church, celebrating religious holidays, etc.

2. The only "actvitity" the baker was required to do was ... BAKE A CAKE.

3. The baker did not have to participate the same-sex marriage. The baker was not asked to officiate at it, attend it, celebrate it, or even approve of it. The only thing service the customer asked was to BAKE A CAKE.

4. By your reasoning, I - as a landlord - should be allowed to discriminate against any minority group that offends my religious sensibilities.

Sheesh

Old 12-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Of course! Montreal is a gay mecca. I know lots of gays who are devout Christians.
since your from Montreal whats your opinion of Parti Québécois?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM

16,553 posts, read 11,075,134 times
Quote:
It's not about patronizing someone you like or not. They're just not allowed to break the law.
So if political beliefs aren't protected, couldn't the bakery just say they refuse to sell to Democrats or anyone Left leaning which MOST gays are? It would be legal then right? Problem solved then.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,549,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
since your from Montreal whats your opinion of Parti Québécois?
Hate 'em. Why do you ask?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:11 PM

249 posts, read 292,929 times
hey i know that you feel the government is pushing to much into our daily lives and I can agree on some fronts. I do believe if you are a public place and receive tax exempt status or a license to sell to the public thru the mean of the town government then you should do as the bylaws say< being if your a public business you have to follow the law on the books and the book says you can not block sell to anyone based on there race, religion, or lifestyle. I do respect his belief because that was America is about. I don't want to go somewhere that refuses to serve me and my family because I am white and they are black, that is called discrimination .He wants to sell to his choosing and that is fine in some places but he is not a private company like some golf courses are, but respect folks and leave your religious beliefs at home.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 5,350,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I shudder to think what could have happened to that couple if the baker was Muslim.
"You disgrace Muhammed ... you blaspheme Allah ... you bring sin to my community? We kill you 13 times!!!". Hahaha. Or something along those lines.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
1. It does restrict people from practicing their religion. Nothing in this ruling comes close to depriving the baker from going to church, celebrating religious holidays, etc.
their religion bans helping a same gender "Wedding"

Quote:
2. The only "actvitity" the baker was required to do was ... BAKE A CAKE.
for a same gender "wedding"

Quote:
3. The baker did not have to participate the same-sex marriage. The baker was not asked to officiate at it, attend it, celebrate it, or even approve of it. The only thing service the customer asked was to BAKE A CAKE.
which is helping

Quote:
4. By your reasoning, I - as a landlord - should be allowed to discriminate against any minority group that offends my religious sensibilities.
gays are not a minority unless you also think thieves are a minority

what would your opinion be about a law that banned lighting a menorah on chanukah?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Hate 'em. Why do you ask?
I wanted to know what you thought of this proposed law

Quebec party wants ban on religious symbols - Americas - Al Jazeera English
The Parti Quebecois introduced its Charter of Values in the province's legislature. The law would require government employees to take off their headscarves, yarmulkes, turbans and larger-than-average crucifixes.
The prohibitions would apply to civil servants, teachers, police, firefighters, doctors, nurses and public day care employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies