U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM

511 posts, read 637,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
Of course they would, unless they were harassing other patrons, which wouldn't be covered under anti-discrimination law. However, it would be unlawful to ask them to leave simply because they were devout Christians, because that is (federally) a violation of anti-discrimination law.

It's actually pretty simple how that works.
And this year, a Christian pastor showed up at a gay rally to peacefully protest. He was verbally and physically assaulted and had his sign rip to shreds. No, a Christian would NOT be welcome in such places.

Seattle gay pride participants viciously beat Christian street preacher - YouTube

Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,806,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
... especially if the devout Christian was really cute!
Whoooooa.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:01 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,938,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Including shellfish, and pork?
I wonder if the baker reviewed the dietary habits of anyone he baked a cake for?
do you know the difference between the words who and what.

the problem he had wasn't who it was going to it, but was what it was going for.

Last edited by NY Jew; 12-10-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 04:02 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,806,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
And this year, a Christian pastor showed up at a gay rally to peacefully protest. He was verbally and physically assaulted and had his sign rip to shreds. No, a Christian would NOT be welcome in such places.

Seattle gay pride participants viciously beat Christian street preacher - YouTube
While I do NOT approve of this kind of behavior, (I would have defended the man) I can understand it. It isn't kind or respectful to show up at a gay rally and try to tell people they are flawed and sinful, especially when they have been dealing with this kind of treatment their entire lives and for no decent (as if there was a decent) reason.

If he had showed up and conducted himself in a more respectful manner, this might not have happened. If a Christian showed up at a gay bar and conducted themselves in a respectful manner, they would be accepted.

You get back what you give. People can only take so much mistreatment before they decide they have simply had enough. Don't be surprised when a point comes when people finally get fed up and shove back.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM

4,803 posts, read 3,143,810 times
Quote:
Including shellfish, and pork?
I wonder if the baker reviewed the dietary habits of anyone he baked a cake for?
The Gentiles were not required to follow Jewish dietary laws. They were only required not to eat what was knowingly offered to idols.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,837,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Very well stated!

Now, for the flipside of this "cake caper" ..... what IDIOT would want to buy and eat a cake that they had to get a court order to force the baker to make?
Not me! I'd take the cake the guy was forced to bake, make sure he had a good view, then throw it on the floor.

Quote:
I mean, this really is liberal lunacy in all it's unglory shining dimly.
Yes, anti-discrimination legislation is just so wacky. Next thing you know we'll be suggesting women should be able to vote, and then where will you be.

511 posts, read 637,266 times
Quote:
There are legal means to have a law repealed. That does not give you the right to break the law.

If "what ifs" were wings we could all fly. Some of us prefer to discuss reality, not "what ifs"
The REALITY of the situation is that Colorado has anti discrimination laws that include sexual orientation.
The REALITY is that ALL businesses are required to follow the laws of the state they are doing business in.
The REALITY is that personal religious beliefs are not a license to break any law you choose.
Sodomy laws existed in states as recent as 2003. Would you have said the same thing in regards to that law? My personal belief is not a license to break the law so I can not engage in same sex activities.

4,803 posts, read 3,143,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
While I do NOT approve of this kind of behavior, I can understand it. It isn't kind or respectful to show up at a gay rally and try to tell people they are flawed and sinful, especially when they have been dealing with this kind of treatment their entire lives and for no decent (as if there was a decent) reason.

If he had showed up and conducted himself in a more respectful manner, this might not have happened. If a Christian showed up at a gay bar and conducted themselves in a respectful manner, they would be accepted.

You get back what you give. People can only take so much mistreatment before they decide they have simply had enough. Don't be surprised when a point comes when people finally get fed up and shove back.
I agree. It was in poor taste to show up at a gay rally.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 PM

8,814 posts, read 5,350,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
hey i know that you feel the government is pushing to much into our daily lives and I can agree on some fronts. I do believe if you are a public place and receive tax exempt status or a license to sell to the public thru the mean of the town government then you should do as the bylaws say< being if your a public business you have to follow the law on the books and the book says you can not block sell to anyone based on there race, religion, or lifestyle. I do respect his belief because that was America is about. I don't want to go somewhere that refuses to serve me and my family because I am white and they are black, that is called discrimination .He wants to sell to his choosing and that is fine in some places but he is not a private company like some golf courses are, but respect folks and leave your religious beliefs at home.
The bakery is a PRIVATE BUSINESS ... not a public entity. Furthermore, one does not wave their rights as a consequence of being "allowed" to engage in commerce

Anti-descrimination laws should be restricted to the original intent of those laws, which is prohibited from denying a person based on race, gender ONLY. Not personal conduct issues, and that is precisely what is in play here ... the baker feels he would be violating his religious convictions by participating in an activity that his religion deems wrong. And he should have that right to provide his services or not, at his will, otherwise, if he can be compelled to provide his labor, he is in effect, a slave to those compelling him.

No matter what rationale is employed to justify this usurpation of individual autonomy, that is what it is, and it is antithetical to every principle of liberty to which our nation was founded to secure for the people.

Like freedom of speech, it is not popular speech that requires protection ... it is unpopular speech that does. Liberty is the same ... it is sometimes inconvenient, and unpopular, but each violation of liberty only guarantees more and greater violations to come.

The struggle to legalize gay marriage is a classic example of WHY government should be kept OUT of people's personal life and their choices. It is the power to grant a thing which provides the power to deny. The power to force a door open is the power to force it closed. If marraige was kept outside the jurisdiction of the government, then the decision to marry whomevet you choose would be your individual right alone, with no state permission necessary.

As liberals DEMAND more and more government intervention into matters it has no business becoming involved, what they are doing is promoting the power of government that can, will, and does deny them their freedoms too.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:12 PM

19,463 posts, read 9,779,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
do you know the difference between the words who and what.

the problem he had wasn't who it was going to it was what it was going for.
A same sex marriage, which the poster I was responding to said was an abomination. He also said that ALL OT abominations still apply. Does the baker provide cakes for weddings that serve shrimp for an appetizer? What about those that serve pork? Does he check the virginity of the brides he does cakes for? Non virgin brides are a big no-no in the bible. What about previous marital status of the couples he makes cakes for? If they were married before were they divorced for biblical reasons or widows/widowers?
IF not he is being hypocritical in his "Christian" beliefs.

If he provided cakes for any of the above he would be just as involved in the marriage or sanctioning the marriage as he would have been making a cake for the same sex couple.

THIS is why many believe Christians to be hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies