Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
THe point is if a Christian shows up at a gay bar and acts disrespectful, the owner should have the right to refuse service and toss him or her out. Just like the baker should have the right to refuse service to customers who morally offend him.
The difference is one (Christian in a gay bar being disrespectful) is nothing like the other (going into a bakery to order a cake).

Old 12-10-2013, 04:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
THe point is if a Christian shows up at a gay bar and acts disrespectful, the owner should have the right to refuse service and toss him or her out. Just like the baker should have the right to refuse service to customers who morally offend him.
Getting thrown out of a business because of bad behavior is not equivalent to being denied service from a business because the owner doesn't approve of your sexual orientation.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM

511 posts, read 799,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes they broke the law, and they were punished. They also fought to get the laws overturned. I never said that they shouldn't have been punished. YOU are the one who seems to believe that breaking the law is ok, as long as it is for your religious belief.

I think pot bans are stupid, but if I were caught smoking, I know there is a chance of getting punished.
So you agree then that they should be punished? I believe that if a law forced me to go against my Christian beliefs then yes, I shouldn't follow it. According to the Bible, one day in the future there will be a law requiring everyone to take the mark of the beast. If I am alive during that day, I would have to break that law. If the law tells me I must burn my Bible, I will break it. God's judgement trumps man's laws.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by txdave35

THe point is if a Christian shows up at a gay
bar and acts disrespectful, the owner should have the right to refuse service
and toss him or her out. Just like the baker should have the right to refuse
service to customers who morally offend him.
So, you'd be OK with not being able to get a cab when you need one because all the drivers are from the Sudan and they don't pick up infidels?
Don't lie. It's an abomination.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The difference is one (Christian in a gay bar being disrespectful) is nothing like the other (going into a bakery to order a cake).
Nope, both cases are owners having the right to refuse service. A Christian shows up wearing a t-shirt saying homosexuality is a sin offends the gay bar owner. A gay celebration cake offends the baker. Same thing.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So you agree then that they should be punished? I believe that if a law forced me to go against my Christian beliefs then yes, I shouldn't follow it. According to the Bible, one day in the future there will be a law requiring everyone to take the mark of the beast. If I am alive during that day, I would have to break that law. If the law tells me I must burn my Bible, I will break it. God's judgement trumps man's laws.
Ok. Break the law, that is up to you, but be ready to be punished for breaking the law. YOUR religious convictions do not give you the right to break the law. THAT has been the point of this whole thread.

Do you believe that Muslims should be allowed to break the law to follow their religious beliefs?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So, you'd be OK with not being able to get a cab when you need one because all the drivers are from the Sudan and they don't pick up infidels?
Don't lie. It's an abomination.
If I am in a foreign country, yes I would respect their beliefs and customs.

If tt is in America then they wouldn't be employed by a taxi service if they refuse customers.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I don't care where you stand on gay rights. This is absolutely ridiculous and just flat out wrong. The business owner's rights are now being violated in the name of PC.

Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay couples - seattlepi.com

If it makes you feel better, gay bakeries now have to make cakes for heterosexual weddings.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Nope, both cases are owners having the right to refuse service. A Christian shows up wearing a t-shirt saying homosexuality is a sin offends the gay bar owner. A gay celebration cake offends the baker. Same thing.
Not according to the law. It is ok to refuse service for someone harassing customers, it is not ok to refuse service to someone who is simply trying to purchase a product that you willingly offered for sale.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
If I am in a foreign country, yes I would respect their beliefs and customs.

If tt is in America then they wouldn't be employed by a taxi service if they refuse customers.
Of course they would. It's happening. Look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies