U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:06 PM
 
511 posts, read 637,266 times
Reputation: 266

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No one is forcing the baker to marry someone of the same sex. So, your Muslim forced to eat pork analogy doesn't work. If selling cakes is against the bakers religion, then I suggest he not sell cakes, but since he does sell cakes, he can not refuse to sell them based on protected classes. If you have a problem with the laws of the state, then fight to get them repealed. Until such time as that happens, the baker has to follow the law.
The baker is being forced to make a profit off of a sinful action. Now insert whatever activity that you find wrong or offensive and think if you would feel comfortable putting money in your pocket by assisting in the event. From my perspective, God would not approve and certainly not bless my business.


The fact that you keep running back to "it's the law" shows that you have no real argument here. The argument is whether or not the law is just and good for society.

 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 PM
 
511 posts, read 637,266 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
When I was a teenager in 1963 Biloxi, MS people were saying the same thing about black folks. And yes it was against the religion of some to treat black people equally. My grandfather was one that thought that way. They needed to be treated "fairly" but in their "place."

Do you see racial discrimination as somehow different from sexual orientation discrimination? You might say yes, but it wasn't that clear in the south in 1963. The elapse of time and the implementation of law to protect against racial discrimination has mitigated our views about racial discrimination today.

The gay community is exactly where the black community was in the late fifties/early sixties. The LGBT community needs its own MLK, Jr. to move along social acceptance of their culture.

Frankly, I will never understand it, but I won't oppose it and will treat members of that community just like I treat black folks----exactly like I want to be treated.

And one purpose of government is to stand up for minority groups when no one else will. God bless the USA.
It's not the same.


Don't compare civil rights to gay rights - Sun Sentinel



Quote:


Racial discrimination was eventually deemed irrational because one's physical appearance is irrelevant to one's behavior and moral character. However, sexual orientation, or sexuality, by definition has everything to do with one's behavior and that we do have a right to judge. Our society has laws against incest, pedophilia, zoophilia and polygamy. Institutions have policies against intimacy between superiors and subordinates. And if a corporate executive embarrasses a company because of a sex scandal, he may be fired. These examples demonstrate the necessity of discriminating against sexual behavior deemed harmful, perverted or immoral.

 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,463 posts, read 9,779,260 times
Reputation: 7551
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
The baker is being forced to make a profit off of a sinful action. Now insert whatever activity that you find wrong or offensive and think if you would feel comfortable putting money in your pocket by assisting in the event. From my perspective, God would not approve and certainly not bless my business.


The fact that you keep running back to "it's the law" shows that you have no real argument here. The argument is whether or not the law is just and good for society.
Then he shouldn't be a baker. Gluttony is one of the christian no-nos.

Also, no one seems to be able to answer this. Does the baker check the virginity of all brides, make sure all divorced people he makes cakes for are christian approved divorces, check the marital status of the parents for all birthday cakes for kids, etc?
If not he is being hypocritical in the application of his "religious beliefs" or he is just using his religious beliefs as an excuse to discriminate.
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM
 
2,950 posts, read 1,938,556 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
Please post your evidence of the bolded part. In general, you're operating on a false premise. Fewer people would admit being gay back then. That doesn't mean fewer people were.
according to a recent pew Research poll of all LGBT the only religion which the general public did not have higher religious identification numbers was Jewish.
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:23 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,745,976 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
according to a recent pew Research poll of all LGBT the only religion which the general public did not have higher religious identification numbers was Jewish.
Care to rewrite this sentence so it makes sense.
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,666,331 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then he shouldn't be a baker. Gluttony is one of the christian no-nos.

Also, no one seems to be able to answer this. Does the baker check the virginity of all brides, make sure all divorced people he makes cakes for are christian approved divorces, check the marital status of the parents for all birthday cakes for kids, etc?
If not he is being hypocritical in the application of his "religious beliefs" or he is just using his religious beliefs as an excuse to discriminate.

That would be an awfully large questionaire.
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM
 
2,950 posts, read 1,938,556 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, post stonewall people might have felt more comfortable coming out, but they didn't suddenly become gay.
and why would the proportions change drastically?
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:28 PM
 
2,950 posts, read 1,938,556 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
How utterly paranoid. How about we just stick with the same legal situation we've had for 200+ years? You're free to practice your religion as you choose, but you can't use that practice to justify the breaking of any other laws.
but you can put in "laws" that ban all religious people from owning a bakery.

the first amendment protects religious people from such laws.
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,745,976 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
but you can put in "laws" that ban all religious people from owning a bakery.

the first amendment protects religious people from such laws.
Thankfully no such laws exist.
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:30 PM
 
2,950 posts, read 1,938,556 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
100%, and none of that gives you the right to break any other law.
give me an example of 1 potential law that is not allowed acording to your insane interpretation of the Constitution, that has nothing to do with a house of worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top