U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,035,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Baloney. It's a violation of the owners rights. He is being forced to accept, to be an accomplice and active participant in what he believes is sin.

No one should be forced by law into participating in what they believe to be sin. Period.
Baking a cake is a sin? What part of the bible does that fall under - gluttony?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 AM

19,428 posts, read 9,745,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
So much for diversity of thought, respecting people's religious beliefs & coexisting huh? Should "Progressive" cities be able to discriminate against Chick-Fil-A's from opening?
No. As long as CFA applies for, and meets the requirements of getting, a business license they should be allowed to open.

Part of getting a business license is the owners agreement to follow all laws of the state they are operating in. Colorado has anti discrimination laws that include sexual orientation. By applying for and accepting the business license the owner of the bakery agreed to follow the law. If the bakers religious beliefs didn't allow him to follow the law, he shouldn't have opened a business. Your personal religious beliefs do not give you the right to break the law.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Baloney. It's a violation of the owners rights. He is being forced to accept, to be an accomplice and active participant in what he believes is sin.

No one should be forced by law into participating in what they believe to be sin. Period.
The baked CHOSE to sell wedding cakes. No one forced him to sell wedding cakes. The law says that if you CHOOSE to sell wedding cakes you must sell wedding cakes to all customers. If the bakers religion tells him to not sell wedding cakes to a segment of society, then the baker can CHOOSE to not offer wedding cakes to sell.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
You must have missed that verse.

Thou shalt not bake cakes for those evil homosexuals.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:06 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
I just love the Canadians that want to jump into all the issues we, in our country are dealing with; not only do they jump in, the give advise. Thanks so much. Now, you know very well no one thinks baking a cake is a sin, the business owner, right or wrong, did not want to do business with someone who practices something he considers a sin.

My question still is: why would the couple even make an issue over this? Let it be and go someplace where you are treated fairly.

Whether we like it or not, we are all discriminated against from time to time. Most of let it go.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 AM

11,037 posts, read 6,216,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I don't care where you stand on gay rights. This is absolutely ridiculous and just flat out wrong. The business owner's rights are now being violated in the name of PC.

Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay couples - seattlepi.com
The owners were breaking the law in Colorado. Refusal of service is discrimination.

On the other hand, I can't imagine why a gay couple would want to give their money to these baking bigots.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-08-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The baked CHOSE to sell wedding cakes. No one forced him to sell wedding cakes. The law says that if you CHOOSE to sell wedding cakes you must sell wedding cakes to all customers. If the bakers religion tells him to not sell wedding cakes to a segment of society, then the baker can CHOOSE to not offer wedding cakes to sell.
You can't be serious: there is nowhere in the law, any law, any state that says you must sell anything to anyone. Those laws refer to hiring practices, for starters. What about the kid that walks in, is filthy dirty, pants hanging down to his knees, etc. should the business owner be required to wait on him? What about all the signs that say: no shirt, no shoes, no service, isn't that discriminating? If I walk into a restaurant with my dog, should the restaurant be required to serve me? Of course not, but if he/she doesn't are they discriminating against me, because my dog is my best friend?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:16 AM

30,111 posts, read 15,661,943 times
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. You know full well what I meant.

And, I woud also add that this pair of homosexuals were not harmed, and did not have their "rights" violated. They could go anywhere to buy a cake. It is my belief that they chose this bakery on purpose, to make an issue of this.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,802,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You can't be serious: there is nowhere in the law, any law, any state that says you must sell anything to anyone. Those laws refer to hiring practices, for starters. What about the kid that walks in, is filthy dirty, pants hanging down to his knees, etc. should the business owner be required to wait on him? What about all the signs that say: no shirt, no shoes, no service, isn't that discriminating? If I walk into a restaurant with my dog, should the restaurant be required to serve me? Of course not, but if he/she doesn't are they discriminating against me, because my dog is my best friend?
Gosh, can you people really be this stupid? Or is it just on purpose? People with dogs and dirty pants are not protected classes under the law. You can put on a clean pair of pants. You can leave your dog at home or outside. You can't help your race/sexual orientation/etc.

*Facepalm*

Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM

21,029 posts, read 15,237,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No. As long as CFA applies for, and meets the requirements of getting, a business license they should be allowed to open.

Part of getting a business license is the owners agreement to follow all laws of the state they are operating in. Colorado has anti discrimination laws that include sexual orientation. By applying for and accepting the business license the owner of the bakery agreed to follow the law. If the bakers religious beliefs didn't allow him to follow the law, he shouldn't have opened a business. Your personal religious beliefs do not give you the right to break the law.
This.

No one opens a business in a vacuum. If the goal of the business is to serve the general public, then the business must operate under and adhere to the laws that pertain to that service.
It's really that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies