Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just love the Canadians that want to jump into all the issues we, in our country are dealing with; not only do they jump in, the give advise. Thanks so much. Now, you know very well no one thinks baking a cake is a sin, the business owner, right or wrong, did not want to do business with someone who practices something he considers a sin.

My question still is: why would the couple even make an issue over this? Let it be and go someplace where you are treated fairly.

Whether we like it or not, we are all discriminated against from time to time. Most of let it go.
If the business owner will not operate under the rules and regulations as stated in the agreement he signed as a condition of opening his business, he should not be in business.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
The judge issued his order.
He either obeys the law or close up shop and move.

This is no different than during the civil rights era when Blacks were refused service.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If the business owner will not operate under the rules and regulations as stated in the agreement he signed as a condition of opening his business, he should not be in business.
What agreement would that be ?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You can't be serious: there is nowhere in the law, any law, any state that says you must sell anything to anyone. Those laws refer to hiring practices, for starters. What about the kid that walks in, is filthy dirty, pants hanging down to his knees, etc. should the business owner be required to wait on him? What about all the signs that say: no shirt, no shoes, no service, isn't that discriminating? If I walk into a restaurant with my dog, should the restaurant be required to serve me? Of course not, but if he/she doesn't are they discriminating against me, because my dog is my best friend?
No, but there is a law that say that you can not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, and in Colorado sexual orientation in selling products that you offer. The baker CHOSE to offer wedding cakes, therefore the baker can not discriminate in selling those wedding cakes based on race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. If the baker did not CHOOSE to sell wedding cakes, then he would not have to sell wedding cakes to homosexuals.

Manner of dress, pets, etc do not fall under race religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Any business owner who excludes a portion of business, based on discrimination, or some ideology, is an idiot. These gay couples are literally RUNNING to the altar now, which heterosexual couples are not, and are preferring to live together.

Anyone who runs a business, should EMBRACE these gay couples! Especially a business that relies on weddings for a majority of their bank. Do an excellent job, and sell, sell, sell!

This guy is such an idiot! He will probably be out of business in a few years...no gay couples will go to this bakery anyway. Hope his ideals taste good, while he looks for a job, and liquidates his defunct business.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Applying for, and accepting a business license.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The baked CHOSE to sell wedding cakes. No one forced him to sell wedding cakes. The law says that if you CHOOSE to sell wedding cakes you must sell wedding cakes to all customers. If the bakers religion tells him to not sell wedding cakes to a segment of society, then the baker can CHOOSE to not offer wedding cakes to sell.
Suppose this baker specifically markets his product as Christian Wedding cakes. Perhaps they are themed, with maybe Bible verses. Suppose it is clearly obvious that his shop is a Christian bakery? Let's further assume that this gay pair knew that it was a Crhistian business.

I would have to ask, why did they target this bakery (and yes, I used the word 'target' on purpose)?

These are obviously (to me anyway) two militant homosexual activists. They chose this shop on purpose. It was their intent to sue (I wonder how much they are seeking in "damages," — which don't exist?).

They have not been harmed in any way. I think this judge should have told them they had no case.

My belief is that the judge is forcing them to be a participant in a practice that violates their religious convictions. If they believe God, but then agree to participate in what they know God forbids, and what God calls sin, are they not sinning against God?

Doesn't "separation of Church and state" apply here? Or do we apply that unequally?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Gosh, can you people really be this stupid? Or is it just on purpose? People with dogs and dirty pants are not protected classes under the law. You can put on a clean pair of pants. You can leave your dog at home or outside. You can't help your race/sexual orientation/etc.

*Facepalm*
sorry, don't agree: you are missing the point: 1-the couple were not hurt, there are a lot of bakeries to choose from and 2-we are all discriminated against daily: most are mature enough to let it roll off our shoulders. What if the kid with the dirty pants down to his knees was dressed that way because he couldn't afford any cloths, and was turned down for service, wouldn't that be discriminating against the poor?

Yes, I am using exaggerated examples, but it is meant to make a point: discrimination is wrong, but it is going to continue and anyone of us can yell "discrimination" take it to court and maybe even find a judge to side with us. The couple had other options. As someone mentioned. same sex marriage is not recognized in Colorado, so how can the judge say the baker had to provide a wedding cake?

I have a gay or lesbian foster daughter, she even thinks this entire thing was a set up, by a couple who had an agenda. She faces situations all the time and yes, it hurts her, but she just finds solutions. Sometimes it means using a retailer or restaurant that is more open minded. Never would she and her partner take such action, nor would any of our gay friends. BTW, our foster daughter just happens to live in the same state you do.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The application, licensing agreement, etc. that one must fill out and sign in order to open a business.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Why? The US Constitution guarantees freedom of and from religion. If I form a sole proprietorship, why shouldn't the US Constitution trump some local law?
Businesses aren't people. Businesses don't have religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies