Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:29 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So if a member of the Aryan Nation or KKK goes into a black or Jewish owned bakery and orders a cake with "Happy Birthday Adolph Hitler" and swastikas on it and the baker refuses to make it should he be able to sue them? If not, then why not?
Actually in this case the parents also lost custody of the kids.

Little 'Adolf Hitler' Denied Birthday Cake at New Jersey Grocery Store | Fox News

Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 PM

723 posts, read 634,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I love when liberal idiots rejoice over a court ruling that violates the constitution based on their own political beliefs when that very same thing will take away their own rights in the near future. Don't be surprised when people start spitting and taking a dump in your food. Your not going to force anyone to do anything in this country without repercussions.
It doesn't violate the Constitution at all; it actually affirms it. And taking a dump in your food? That can't be a serious fear of the results of anti-discrimination law.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post

I don't care where you stand on gay rights. This is absolutely ridiculous and just flat out wrong. The business owner's rights are now being violated in the name of PC.

No.

You know nothing about the law.

I am a landlord, and whether or not I like it I cannot discriminate against a potential renter who who is African-American, Asian, female, a senior, gay, straight, bisexual, Jewish, Mexican, Hindu or a Vegan. I can not arbitrarily pick which minorities I can serve and which ones I can exclude. In my county it's against the law.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
I am a big support of gay rights but I actually disagree with this. If a small business owner does not want to do a gay wedding they should not be forced and, personally, I would not want to patronize someone who does not want to serve me.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
Actually, you can. Religious beliefs only apply in a religious institution. A place of public accommodation must accommodate people equally, based on traits defined by the jurisdiction.

Of course it does. Federally, I cannot turn anyone away from a business due to their religious beliefs, gender, race, etc. Nor can they turn me away for being gay in some states, but not federally. Colorado is one of those states. We all benefit from anti-discrimination law.

Oh boy!

Look who just discovered the Tenth Amendment!

Supremacy Clause no longer in vogue with lefties?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Just make the cake taste super super sweet, where nobody eats it

Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oh boy!

Look who just discovered the Tenth Amendment!

Supremacy Clause no longer in vogue with lefties?
The Supremacy Clause doesn't affect this. Discrimination over sexual orientation isn't addressed by federal law, but it's prohibited by this particular state law. Many states have anti-discrimination laws that apply to sexual orientation, some to gender identity.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I am a big support of gay rights but I actually disagree with this. If a small business owner does not want to do a gay wedding they should not be forced and, personally, I would not want to patronize someone who does not want to serve me.
It's not about patronizing someone you like or not. They're just not allowed to break the law.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Actually there are legal ways out of it.

I believe the bakery owners were just looking to pick a fight and refused to serve the gay people in a grandeloquent and obnoxious display of righteous moral indigation.

Just to prove what hypocrites they were, an opposite sex couple ordered a divorce cake and were happily accommodated.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:15 PM

423 posts, read 414,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
It's not an opinion, it's a denial of service in violation of the law. In the case of a cake, that's not very serious, but in other cases, it can be. Best to set precedent before it gets there.

"We reserve the RIGHT"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies