Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not at all. A person of any religion is allowed to open any business they want. They simply have to follow the same laws as everyone else.
Maybe you don't understand the definition of ban. IF one is allowed, then they are not banned.
do you understand that a religious person who helps a same gender "wedding" by following this law is no longer religious.

to illustrate the point (in a way that you might understand)

let's say the New York would make a law that requires all bakeries to use lard (not kosher)
would Orthodox Jewish bakeries have to follow that law?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
No one is forcing anyone to open a business. No one is forcing anyone to offer wedding cakes for sale. IF one CHOOSES to open a business and sell wedding cakes, then they can not discriminate. Don't offer wedding cakes for sale, and you don't have to sell them to gays.
I'll translate the Colorado Law into other words

No Religious Person is allowed to open a bakery thats sells wedding cakes, be a caterer of wedding, a wedding photographer etc.

wouldn't you agree that who ever is in favor of that law is a bigot.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
That is discrimination based on the sexual orientation of the people the wedding cake is for.
let's says both of these gays considered themselves bisexual.

is it still discrimination based on sexual orientation.

remember it has nothing to do with their orientation because I would provide the cake to both of if they were really getting married to 2 other people.

In short discrimination has to be on a person not a event

Old 12-11-2013, 06:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
do you understand that a religious person who helps a same gender "wedding" by following this law is no longer religious.

to illustrate the point (in a way that you might understand)

let's say the New York would make a law that requires all bakeries to use lard (not kosher)
would Orthodox Jewish bakeries have to follow that law?
Then don't sell wedding cakes. Sell bagels, and muffing, and birthday cakes. There are many baked goods to choose from. If YOUR religious beliefs prevent you from following the laws related to doing business, then you have a CHOICE to make. No banning involved. I do not know of any laws that say what a business MUST use or sell, but only what they can not use or sell. Please name one.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:

No Religious Person is allowed to open a bakery thats sells wedding cakes, be a caterer of wedding, a wedding photographer etc.

Nope. that is not what the law says, and many religious people have no issue with selling wedding related items to homosexuals.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
A foresee an off-off-off- Broadway musical based on this story..... (borrowing from an old tune) Sing along...

Gracie Fields: If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake -1950 - YouTube

If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake, If I knew you were coming...."

What I don't understand, is how in the h3ll the gay couple could not find another (GAY FRIENDLY) chef/bakery to bake them a wedding cake?

Its not like there is some huge barrier to entry for wedding cake makers, and why they would choose to give money to a business that they would most probably encourage their friends to boycott?

I surmise it is another 'pseudo event' likely staged for press coverage....

Old 12-11-2013, 06:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:

Your translation is wrong. Plenty of religious people here in Colorado own/work in businesses that do those things.

Quote:
The bigot is the person who, when conducting commercial activity, refuses to sell a product/service to a buyer because he is gay or Jewish or black.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
let's says both of these gays considered themselves bisexual.

is it still discrimination based on sexual orientation.

remember it has nothing to do with their orientation because I would provide the cake to both of if they were really getting married to 2 other people.

Yes. Bisexual is a sexual orientation. The issue was making a cake for a GAY wedding. GAY is a sexual orientation.

I'm sorry that you don't agree with the law, but even religious people have to follow the law. If we made exceptions for religious beliefs, then no law would ever be able to be enforced.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
That is true. That why anti-discrimination law address buyers, not what buyers intend to use the products for. The event or use is irrelevant.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
A foresee an off-off-off- Broadway musical based on this story..... (borrowing from an old tune) Sing along...

Gracie Fields: If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake -1950 - YouTube

If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake, If I knew you were coming...."

What I don't understand, is how in the h3ll the gay couple could not find another (GAY FRIENDLY) chef/bakery to bake them a wedding cake?

Its not like there is some huge barrier to entry for wedding cake makers, and why they would choose to give money to a business that they would most probably encourage their friends to boycott?

I surmise it is another 'pseudo event' likely staged for press coverage....
The couple DID use another baker. The lawsuit is about the baker breaking the law of the state. The couple asked for no monetary compensation. The couple have done less media events than the baker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies