Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Pure and utter nonsense.

Pure and utter garbage. Make a real argument.

Explain how the unborn is not human.
When you can make an actual argument I will respond. But here there is really nothing worth responding to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
When you can make an actual argument I will respond. But here there is really nothing worth responding to.
The argument was made in the very first post, and you have yet to respond to it.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
They're not the same.

I just can't find better words to use to say it, so I let his words say it for me.

A lot of people on the left insist that when society wants your paycheck, they have a moral right to take it. That "majority " makes things both right and moral, when it does not. That's why taxing to redistribute is theft. It's theft whether I take it at gunpoint and redistribute it, or the IRS takes it at gunpoint.

It's immoral either way.

Well since since the dawn of human existence governments have taken a share of peoples "paychecks" for reasons a lot weaker than those of this evil left. . .I think its hard to argue it as absolute immorality. There is no bible verse (I mean render to Ceasear what is Ceasear right?) that says we must not hand over anything we make, and its ours.

All societies have been built around the idea of working together. The very roads you drive, etc. Even from a universal maximum ethic, it doesn't stand up. If it was wrong for the govt to ever take any of your paycheck, we would be worse off - not better off.

I agree with the image . . .what is immoral is immoral regardless of law. Discrimination against Gays, or not allowing a Mexican to work for a fair days pay k in the united states. . .

but Guns and Taxes

eh, your quite far on the limb to say its absolutely immoral

Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
This is nonsense.

You're arguing that a city, state, or county should pave on the road by the rich guy's house, or that fire departments funded by taxes should only fight fire for the rich guy's house, or that police only defend rich people, or that's 'redistribution'. Which is absurd. It may be that the tax burden for these is unequal, but no way is that taking from one person to give to another to spend.
So you agree that it is OK that various users of governmental services can pay varying amounts for those services? And that is not wealth redistribution? (Which it obviously is )

So what you are actually objection to is what is commonly called "welfare"? Or at least that part of welfare that provides direct money to an individual?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Well since since the dawn of human existence governments have taken a share of peoples "paychecks" for reasons a lot weaker than those of this evil left. . .I think its hard to argue it as absolute immorality. There is no bible verse (I mean render to Ceasear what is Ceasear right?) that says we must not hand over anything we make, and its ours.

All societies have been built around the idea of working together. The very roads you drive, etc. Even from a universal maximum ethic, it doesn't stand up. If it was wrong for the govt to ever take any of your paycheck, we would be worse off - not better off.

I agree with the image . . .what is immoral is immoral regardless of law. Discrimination against Gays, or not allowing a Mexican to work for a fair days pay k in the united states. . .

but Guns and Taxes

eh, your quite far on the limb to say its absolutely immoral
Why? If I take your money from you, just to give it to someone else, because I want them to have it, is it not wrong?

If it is wrong for me, how is it right for government?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
So you agree that it is OK that various users of governmental services can pay varying amounts for those services? And that is not wealth redistribution? (Which it obviously is )
Not in the slightest.

Quote:
So what you are actually objection to is what is commonly called "welfare"? Or at least that part of welfare that provides direct money to an individual?
No, what I am objecting to, is that government does what is considered wrong for an individual to do. One instance is taking my money and giving it to someone else to have.

You have yet to respond to the argument.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:38 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
They're not the same.

I just can't find better words to use to say it, so I let his words say it for me.

A lot of people on the left insist that when society wants your paycheck, they have a moral right to take it. That "majority " makes things both right and moral, when it does not. That's why taxing to redistribute is theft. It's theft whether I take it at gunpoint and redistribute it, or the IRS takes it at gunpoint.

It's immoral either way.
So taxation is immoral? This is where conservatives are at focused on insane sh..

Without taxes you have no society, no military, no anything. All taxes are redistributionist in nature. There is no way around this. So to be against redistribution is to be against collecting taxes to be redistributed to the military or any government service or agency. This line of thinking expressed by many conservatives is flat out insane.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Not in the slightest.

No, what I am objecting to, is that government does what is considered wrong for an individual to do. One instance is taking my money and giving it to someone else to have.

You have yet to respond to the argument.
Williams made a rather simple and non controversial statement...

Legal does not imply moral.

You really don't seem to understand what this means.

It does not say the legal (ie taxes) are immoral. It merely says that legality does not make them moral.

The morality of taxes is quite clear in virtually all western religions. Can taxes be immortal? Certainly. A poll tax done to disenfranchise a minority group could be legal and immoral.

But no on its face their is nothing immoral about taxes, progressive, regressive or other.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
So taxation is immoral? This is where conservatives are at focused on insane sh..
Didn't say that. It's amazing that you cannot argue honestly. You accuse other people of various levels of insanity, bad character, etc, but yet, your argument above is 100% dishonest.

Quote:
Without taxes you have no society, no military, no anything. All taxes are redistributionist in nature.
Wrong. This is absolutely and utterly false.

Quote:
There is no way around this. So to be against redistribution is to be against collecting taxes to be redistributed to the military or any government service or agency. This line of thinking expressed by many conservatives is flat out insane.
Nope, just more dishonesty from you.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Williams made a rather simple and non controversial statement...

Legal does not imply moral.

You really don't seem to understand what this means.
I understand it perfectly. You do not.

Quote:
It does not say the legal (ie taxes) are immoral. It merely says that legality does not make them moral.
Right. And I'm applying it to stealing from one person for no other reason to give it to someone else.

Quote:
The morality of taxes is quite clear in virtually all western religions.
Despite your continued harping on a false argument, nobody said that all taxes are immoral.

Quote:
Can taxes be immortal? Certainly. A poll tax done to disenfranchise a minority group could be legal and immoral.
I'll ignore the stupidity of your argument for a moment and ask you to explain... Is it legal for you to rob me at gunpoint and take my money to give to someone else?

Quote:
But no on its face their is nothing immoral about taxes, progressive, regressive or other.
Oh, absolutely there is. Taking from one person, who owns it, just to give it to another... Is theft, which is immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies