Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,903 times

Advertisements

So Republicans are marketing themselves as libertarians, but support tyrannical state and local governments?

I get why the GOP would want that. They want libertarianism to apply ONLY to the federal government, especially when they aren't in power. It's easier to corrupt and control smaller fiefdoms a la Mexico style. They'll tell you that an over-reaching police state local government full of corporate welfare is still libertarian since it's not the Feds.

I get that from a power angle, but why do regular people fall for this contradicting logic?

"Freedom for all! Wait, you can't do that near MY home."

Last edited by things and stuff; 12-09-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Modified title and post for clarity.

Incidentally, after I made this post, before I left the office I saw where my Republican mother-in-law made a Facebook post about how she is libertarian and how liberals hate libertarians. This is a woman who thinks all kinds of immoral things should be illegal, thinks Christianity should be promoted by the government, and supports her state government giving money to *select* companies for "economic development".

Yeah, so libertarian!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
How about: Your post is a collection of strawmen and absurd generalizations.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
How about: Your post is a collection of strawmen and absurd generalizations.
There are numerous people on this board who claim to be aligned with both the Republican and libertarian parties. They claim to be Republican and also completely for freedom and free markets.

Yet, I bet they aren't when it boils down to it. At least not when it directly impacts them.

You for example. You're all about free markets, right? Its obvious from your post history hat you're a GOP supporter. You are a warrior for the cause. What do you think about local government tyranny? Did they train you to respond with "if you don't like it, move!"?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
There are numerous people on this board who claim to be aligned with both the Republican and libertarian parties. They claim to be Republican and also completely for freedom and free markets.

Yet, I bet they aren't when it boils down to it. At least not when it directly impacts them.
Oh, now there's an assertion of solid fact.

NOT.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
So Republicans are marketing themselves as libertarians, but support tyrannical state and local governments?

I get why the GOP would want that. They want libertarianism to apply ONLY to the federal government, especially when they aren't in power. It's easier to corrupt and control smaller fiefdoms a la Mexico style. They'll tell you that an over-reaching police state local government full of corporate welfare is still libertarian since it's not the Feds.

I get that from a power angle, but why do regular people fall for this contradicting logic?

I can't follow a word you said here.

Corporate Welfare? Are you talking about Obama's bailout of GM which cost American taxpayers $10.5 billion dollars or are you babbling about ObamaCare being the sweetest deal ever to fall in their lap?

So help me out here, what exactly are you talking about?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:14 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
Quote:

You for example. You're all about free markets, right? Its obvious from your post history hat you're a GOP supporter. You are a warrior for the cause. What do you think about local government tyranny? Did they train you to respond with "if you don't like it, move!"?
So whats wrong with voting with your feet?

This is one of my major beefs with the average statist lefty. They seem to feel that every issue should be handled in exactly the same way, abortion, gun control, religious freedom, the environment, etc. So what is wrong with different areas having those different approaches? You don't like guns, fine, move to an area with strict controls. Don't like abortion restrictions? Well move somewhere where you can get one easily. The only answer I can think of that the statists don't want to give people choices, as they might make the ones the statists don't approve of. Really, what are you statists afraid of?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I can't follow a word you said here.

Corporate Welfare? Are you talking about Obama's bailout of GM which cost American taxpayers $10.5 billion dollars or are you babbling about ObamaCare being the sweetest deal ever to fall in their lap?

So help me out here, what exactly are you talking about?
I don't support Obama. He's a fraud and a liar. I don't support the Feds giving special treatment to select companies.

Do you support your governor or mayor giving special treatment, subsidized loans, or handouts to select companies? DO you?

At least I'm not a hypocrite.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:19 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
I don't support Obama. He's a fraud and a liar. I don't support the Feds giving special treatment to select companies.

Do you support your governor or mayor giving special treatment, subsidized loans, or handouts to select companies? DO you?

At least I'm not a hypocrite.
No, I never have been in favor of government giving any special treatment to any companies or individuals.

Government should not be involved in selecting winners and losers because they will always select losers.

Government should not be involved in welfare, public housing or charity of any kind because then they are selecting some Americans (or even illegal aliens) to be winners over other Americans.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:

Yes, I noticed this on another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies