U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 AM

21,101 posts, read 33,079,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He said nothing about conservatives; he was talking about Northerners and Southerners. With respect to that point about the rule of law, he was probably referring to the South's penchant for libertarianism in some respects and its historic stance on state's rights. But either way, don't go down the political road as this isn't the forum for it and definitely don't follow this guy up.
If this is inappropriate for this particular thread, I'll leave it up to the mods to make that determination.
And there is certainly a correlation between Conservatism and the South. I certainly dont think that Libertarianism and the Rule of Law are mutually exclusive concepts; in fact, far from it. The simplest explanation of Rule of Law is that no individual, not even a head of state, exists above the law. It certainly lines up with a Libertarian belief system as well as a concept that would hold importance for a society that was as isolated, self-determined and agrarian as the American South was in its early history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 01:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 11,678,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Two vastly different entities stuck in the same country thru a quirk of history. Time to move on without each other. The North and South share almost none of the same values nor culture. One region (South) is anti-govt and anti-tax, the other believes in the rule of law and sensible responsible govt.
I don't see how legalizing marijuana and rewarding illegal immigration against federal laws promote the "rule of law". I also don't see how opposing the death penalty and liberal judges refusing to send people to prison for long terms promote the rule of law. I would prefer not having lots of laws but if they are going to pass a law then they must enforce it.

I would not include plastic bag taxes or soda bans, or banning trans fats in restaurants, or forcing privately owned businesses to ban smoking to be "sensible". I think the latter 3 actually infringe on individual property rights and the rights of business owners.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 11,678,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Being a member of an organized religion and being individualistic are mutually exclusive. One cannot be defined as individualistic and cling to the religious herd. I like the south but it is certainly not individualistic.
I disagree with this. The Northeast is very atheist yet people have a very collectivist mentality when it comes to taxes, urban planning, public policy, etc. Many churches in the South are independent churches while the Catholic church that predominates in the Northeast is way more "organized" in that they are divided between churches, parishes, archdioceses, etc that eventually answer to the Pope, almost like the way a large corporation has regional and district managers, etc.

And by the way saying schools should ALLOW school prayer isn't forcing my religion on others. Demanding that ALL schools allow prayer time would be.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:46 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,055,698 times
Religion and Politics shouldn't be brought up, Atheist and Religious people are found in all 50 states not just the South or Northeast. Same for politics, you can find plenty of far right Republican s in the northeast and plenty of far left Democrats in the south

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 PM

27,938 posts, read 24,965,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If this is inappropriate for this particular thread, I'll leave it up to the mods to make that determination.
And there is certainly a correlation between Conservatism and the South. I certainly dont think that Libertarianism and the Rule of Law are mutually exclusive concepts; in fact, far from it. The simplest explanation of Rule of Law is that no individual, not even a head of state, exists above the law. It certainly lines up with a Libertarian belief system as well as a concept that would hold importance for a society that was as isolated, self-determined and agrarian as the American South was in its early history.
And the mods probably will.

At any rate, you're making a correlation but it's not what he actually said; he said Northerners and Southerners, not conservatives and liberals. He was making a point about regional distinctives and I disagree with his broadbrushed assumptions and unfortunately, you're essentially doing the same thing.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 PM

21,101 posts, read 33,079,911 times
Quote:

At any rate, you're making a correlation but it's not what he actually said; he said Northerners and Southerners, not conservatives and liberals. He was making a point about regional distinctives and I disagree with his broadbrushed assumptions and unfortunately, you're essentially doing the same thing.
Ever seen a map of election results? Red States? Blue States? No regional correlation? Of course political affiliation in this country plays deeply into a discussion of regional attributes and differences, particularly if that discussion is focusing on individualism and self-determination. To suggest otherwise is naive.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_mays View Post
I think regional differences are greatly exaggerated. People are basically people and I'd wager there's more difference between city/ country people than two city people in different states or even regions.
Bingo. Most of the divide seems to come from rural vs. urban/city. I'm from Minnesota and have lived all over the state of Georgia for the past 7 years. My grandmother lives in northern Minnesota way in the hinterlands and honestly the people up there are just as "redneck" or "country" as any Georgian I've ever met. I mean little farming communities in Minnesota caused Minnesota to vote for Rick Santorum in the GOP primary.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Two vastly different entities stuck in the same country thru a quirk of history. Time to move on without each other. The North and South share almost none of the same values nor culture. One region (South) is anti-govt and anti-tax, the other believes in the rule of law and sensible responsible govt.

Anti-govt and anti-tax is constitutional.

I take it you mean the north believes in the rule of law...Does that include DC, home of those who eschew the law and having no concept of responsible government?

Quit standing on your head.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,926,143 times
Quote:

What do you think he meant by Northerners and Southerners? Going by his running narrative Northerners are good liberals and Southerners are bad conservatives hinging on evil redneck.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM

9,473 posts, read 5,676,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

So what do y'all think of collectivism and individualism in the South vs the Northeast and Midwest?
I think you have no idea what either of those is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies