U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,039 posts, read 30,710,365 times
Reputation: 12220

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Man has influenced the evolution of many species so its really not hard to accept that we've been "tinkered with" genetically by someone or somehow. If you really look at how we've evolved and advanced in a extremely short period of time, it actually makes more sense. By God, by aliens, we can debate that all day long. But it does throw a bucket of cold ice water on the " we are all alone " crowd.
Have evolutionists become the new Flat Earth Society? Its starting to look that way.
Ah, another blind one who ironically uses products derived from evolution every day.

 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,877 posts, read 4,028,920 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You are completely out in left field. In science there is no such thing as "race." There are only Kingdoms, Divisions (or Phylum), Classes, Orders, Families, Genus, and Species. "Race" only exists in the minds of the truly ignorant.


Please go sell your fairy tales somewhere else. It takes someone "truly ignorant" to look at an Asian, a European, an African, etc. and conclude we're all the same. That's why there's so much damn racial strife in this nation, we're constantly fed this BS line of "we're all one, we're all the same." We're not all the same, people are different, how about we EMBRACE our differences? God forbid black and white children are different...god forbid they perhaps learn differently or have different needs growing up. Variety is a good thing so lets stop being so afraid of realizing that we're all different...America will never be at peace racially until we stop selling this fairy tale of sameness.
 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,695 posts, read 7,369,929 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but if the following below definition of evolution is correct. Then those that claim they're superior to others could have a valid point. Basically wouldn't the belief in evolution be validating racism as acceptable and should be tolerated. Note I personally do not believe in evolution. I believe we were all created by a supreme being and all equal in value under the eyes of that supreme being.


Evolution-A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.
Okay, you're wrong. Your definition of evolution is simplistic and inaccurate. A more accurate but still simplified definition would be that evolution is the process by which a species or subspecies changes over time to better suit its environment. Considering this more accurate definition, stating that any species is superior to another due to evolution is way off base. Each and every species is superior at something, no matter how small or large. For example, a polar bear is superior at living in climates which would quickly kill the average human. The best you could claim from the evolution argument is that humans have evolved to be more adaptable which gives us a bit of an advantage over other species, but you couldn't claim that we are superior.

As for racism, there is no such thing as race in taxonomy. Homo Sapiens is Homo Sapiens, with no distinction for color of skin, type of hair, height, facial structure, or any other cosmetic value. Racism is nothing more than an ingrained primitive reaction to difference. Much the same as the way that a wolf pack will turn out any wolf which doesn't have the standard mottled gray coloring, the majority of humans have an instinctive desire to associate with others who look like them. Luckily, we have the ability to ignore this desire and the intelligence to realize that it is nothing but an instinctive holdover from the days when our ancestors were considered prey by the majority of carnivores around them and those that were different called unwanted attention to the pack.

Philosophically, I disagree with your view on evolution vs. creationism as well. As an agnostic, I believe in a higher power but I don't believe that any one religion is the "right" religion. In fact, I don't actually believe that organized religion is necessary in order to believe in a higher power, whether that higher power is called God, Jehovah, Yahwey, Allah, Mother Earth, Father Sky, or the universe. Creationism by its very nature subscribes to an idea of religion that I find rather abhorrent, which is that a higher being created us out of thin air and turned us loose on planet earth like an ant colony for no other reason than childish boredom. I could possibly accept the intelligent design theory - although it too has some flaws - but pure creationism makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. There is too much scientific evidence for evolution to just dismiss the theory out of hand unless you do so out of sheer stubbornness and a desire to be a good "religious" individual.
 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 AM
 
Location: East St. Paul 651 forever (or North St. Paul) .
2,869 posts, read 2,716,526 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Uhh, humans are all one race....Do you think that a black lab and a chocolate lab are different races?.... Of course evolution is both theory and fact. You have to be willfully blind not to accept it as such.
But a Lab is very much different than a Shepard or a Rottweiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post

Please go sell your fairy tales somewhere else. It takes someone "truly ignorant" to look at an Asian, a European, an African, etc. and conclude we're all the same. That's why there's so much damn racial strife in this nation, we're constantly fed this BS line of "we're all one, we're all the same." We're not all the same, people are different, how about we EMBRACE our differences? God forbid black and white children are different...god forbid they perhaps learn differently or have different needs growing up. Variety is a good thing so lets stop being so afraid of realizing that we're all different...America will never be at peace racially until we stop selling this fairy tale of sameness.
 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Reputation: 22171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You are completely out in left field. In science there is no such thing as "race." There are only Kingdoms, Divisions (or Phylum), Classes, Orders, Families, Genus, and Species. "Race" only exists in the minds of the truly ignorant.
Then why do we have affirmative action and other programs that give preference to particular races?
 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Reputation: 22171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Okay, you're wrong. Your definition of evolution is simplistic and inaccurate. A more accurate but still simplified definition would be that evolution is the process by which a species or subspecies changes over time to better suit its environment. Considering this more accurate definition, stating that any species is superior to another due to evolution is way off base. Each and every species is superior at something, no matter how small or large. For example, a polar bear is superior at living in climates which would quickly kill the average human. The best you could claim from the evolution argument is that humans have evolved to be more adaptable which gives us a bit of an advantage over other species, but you couldn't claim that we are superior.

As for racism, there is no such thing as race in taxonomy. Homo Sapiens is Homo Sapiens, with no distinction for color of skin, type of hair, height, facial structure, or any other cosmetic value. Racism is nothing more than an ingrained primitive reaction to difference. Much the same as the way that a wolf pack will turn out any wolf which doesn't have the standard mottled gray coloring, the majority of humans have an instinctive desire to associate with others who look like them. Luckily, we have the ability to ignore this desire and the intelligence to realize that it is nothing but an instinctive holdover from the days when our ancestors were considered prey by the majority of carnivores around them and those that were different called unwanted attention to the pack.

Philosophically, I disagree with your view on evolution vs. creationism as well. As an agnostic, I believe in a higher power but I don't believe that any one religion is the "right" religion. In fact, I don't actually believe that organized religion is necessary in order to believe in a higher power, whether that higher power is called God, Jehovah, Yahwey, Allah, Mother Earth, Father Sky, or the universe. Creationism by its very nature subscribes to an idea of religion that I find rather abhorrent, which is that a higher being created us out of thin air and turned us loose on planet earth like an ant colony for no other reason than childish boredom. I could possibly accept the intelligent design theory - although it too has some flaws - but pure creationism makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. There is too much scientific evidence for evolution to just dismiss the theory out of hand unless you do so out of sheer stubbornness and a desire to be a good "religious" individual.
However --- the flaw in that is that amoebas and algae still exist and will exist long after us because they are the best suited to the environment.

As far as evolution goes, a rock is superior because it's existence isn't nearly as fragile as a live organism. The simple one cell organisms never died out, they're suited to a whole lot of environments. Humans are actually quite fragile.
 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Status: "MAGA" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: New Jersey
10,520 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Reputation: 10335
There are a lot of difference between races, but we are still one species. And evolution doesn't make a species necessarily "superior", it just makes it better adapted to live in the world if its ancestors.
(in before locked).
 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 AM
 
28,008 posts, read 19,690,113 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You are completely out in left field. In science there is no such thing as "race." There are only Kingdoms, Divisions (or Phylum), Classes, Orders, Families, Genus, and Species. "Race" only exists in the minds of the truly ignorant.
Anyone with a high school education, heck a junior high education, should know that humanity is ONE race.
 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,695 posts, read 7,369,929 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
However --- the flaw in that is that amoebas and algae still exist and will exist long after us because they are the best suited to the environment.

As far as evolution goes, a rock is superior because it's existence isn't nearly as fragile as a live organism. The simple one cell organisms never died out, they're suited to a whole lot of environments. Humans are actually quite fragile.
Yes, humans are fragile. However, homo sapiens has still managed to become the dominant species on the planet (notice I said dominant and not superior). There is no such thing as a "superior" species, merely a species that has adapted to its environment in a superior way. In the case of homo sapiens, we've evolved to be the most adaptable but if you drop the vast majority of homo sapiens in a hostile environment with no tools and no help their expected lifespan could be measured in hours if not minutes.
 
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Reputation: 22171
Supposedly humans evolved varying skin pigment because some environments made it preferable to be light skinned or dark skinned. If people really believed in evolution, they would believe that people should then stay in the environment to which their ancestors evolved. Whites have an advantage in the northern and more cloudy climate regions. Where there are high doses of sunlight, darker skin would prevail. True believers in evolution would then believe in race separation because nature did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top