U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:32 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,888,283 times

Advertisements

Fake

Old 12-08-2013, 05:34 PM

4,375 posts, read 2,664,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Fake
What is?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM

29,661 posts, read 32,113,147 times
2 nights ago, at my place of business, a coworker and I went outside to ask a very large group of preteens to move away from the front doors because they were being loud and rowdy and completely blocking the entrance to our building. Typical kids. There were about 20 of them, with one adult in sight. I think they used our building as a meeting place before going off to do whatever it was they were doing. We didn't call the police because we didn't feel any sort of threat since they were so young, but I could totally see being more intimidated if it was a group of 20 teenage guys. I probably wouldn't have called the police but I also probably wouldn't have gone out there, but I may have locked the doors to avoid them all coming and using our bathrooms as if we were some kind of pit stop. That happens a lot and teenage boys are the worst...if you catch my drift.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:42 PM

836 posts, read 1,567,061 times
This is nothing new.

As a resident of Rochester, NY I cannot even begin to tell you the amount of racism I come across in this city. Considering the fact that this was the home of Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony, I'd say with great sadness that we've regressed dramatically.

Perhaps it is because I am a WHITE resident, but the police have been comfortable enough to spew their ignorant, racist, bigoted comments to me multiple times within the last year. Just yesterday a white cop chose to tell me what he thought about the "Hip Hop crowd" in the city. The officer chose to stop me outside of our downtown indoor stadium to inform me that an event was going on sponsored by the local urban radio station and that "in about 10 minutes over 3,000 members of the Hip Hop crowd will be coming out of these doors."

Caught off guard, I asked him "what is that was supposed to mean?" He responded condescendingly "You know. Young, African American crowds." He then looked at the digital camera I had in my hand at the time and proceeded to tell me "They like cameras, man. I'd be careful." After reassuring him that I would be fine he felt the need to add that "when you're getting jumped by 30 guys they're going to be taking that camera pretty quick." Sickening.

It's so disgusting that even though I'm not the target of their prejudice, I was PERSONALLY offended as a member of the community by their comments. I happen to be a young Caucasian-American who listens to Hip Hop music. I live in the city and I sometimes frequent events at this indoor stadium with large groups of my friends. Why was he so open to tell me about how dangerous he felt these young African Americans were?

But the police don't profile African Americans, right?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:47 PM

136 posts, read 93,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
This is nothing new.

As a resident of Rochester, NY I cannot even begin to tell you the amount of racism I come across in this city. Considering the fact that this was the home of Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony, I'd say with great sadness that we've regressed dramatically.

Perhaps it is because I am a WHITE resident, but the police have been comfortable enough to spew their ignorant, racist, bigoted comments to me multiple times within the last year. Just yesterday a white cop chose to tell me what he thought about the "Hip Hop crowd" in the city. The officer chose to stop me outside of our downtown indoor stadium to inform me that an event was going on sponsored by the local urban radio station and that "in about 10 minutes over 3,000 members of the Hip Hop crowd will be coming out of these doors."

Caught off guard, I asked him "what is that was supposed to mean?" He responded condescendingly "You know. Young, African American crowds." He then looked at the digital camera I had in my hand at the time and proceeded to tell me "They like cameras, man. I'd be careful." After reassuring him that I would be fine he felt the need to add that "when you're getting jumped by 30 guys they're going to be taking that camera pretty quick." Sickening.

It's so disgusting that even though I'm not the target of their prejudice, I was PERSONALLY offended as a member of the community by their comments. I happen to be a young Caucasian-American who listens to Hip Hop music. I live in the city and I sometimes frequent events at this indoor stadium with large groups of my friends. Why was he so open to tell me about how dangerous he felt these young African Americans were?

But the police don't profile African Americans, right?
He felt comfortable telling you such things because you are white and the police force exist, to serve and protect whites.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 PM

11,107 posts, read 6,296,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Dreams View Post
He felt comfortable telling you such things because you are white and the police force exist, to serve and protect whites.
Bull, Claire.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Bull, Claire.
Bull? The police force doesn't exist to serve and protect whites? Really... umm ok.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:58 PM

4,375 posts, read 2,664,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Dreams View Post
Bull? The police force doesn't exist to serve and protect whites? Really... umm ok.
The motto is "To protect and to serve." Not "To protect and to serve whites."

Try again.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
The motto is "To protect and to serve." Not "To protect and to serve whites."

Try again.
I don't care what the motto says on their cars, or on their stationary, I'm relaying what is actually believed and carried out by the police force..

Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 PM

3,624 posts, read 2,980,863 times
white suburban home they'll be there in 5 minutes.

black in an urban area, good luck, and when they do arrive, many times you end up being the one in the body bag.

i think the rochester police also were the ones who planted crack in a black business owners shop, with the owners surveillance video capturing them planting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies